996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To sell or not to sell...With or without Mods?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:25 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I would prefer to buy a stock car, but wouldn't be opposed to some light mods. The heavy duty stuff scares me as it gives the perception the car was driven harder than I would like.

As far as selling and then regretting it - I regret it every time. On my 4th 911 now, 2nd TT. I'd have about two days of peace after selling before I'd start jonesing for another one and I'd be right back where I started. I experience seller's remorse WAY worse than buyer's remorse.

If all you see is a pile of cash taking up space in the garage, then it's time to move on. If I were you I'd start driving it more and get back to the perma-grin that comes from boost.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
To me, I buy stock because most people and shops don't know what they are doing, or care. The damage that could be done has happened. If I knew something was done right by alot of research and tuned by the right people it would be OK. I would never buy a big modded cast that's been taken back to stock. Probably be slopped together to just sell.
Returning these car to stock and moding them is very easy. I am assuming you don't do your own work on your vehicle? This engine is a very basic low tech engine. That is why it is so bulletproof. People assume because it is in a Porsche it must be so hi tech. Today's Porsche's are a different story though. All of the mods/parts are direct bolt on on my TT. It's all in the tuning bad things can happen with a bad tunes that are pushed to far. There is not a lot that can go wrong with the mods themselves. I agree that a good tuner is imperative that's why Sam at by Design / Cobb tuned my car. Returning the car to the stock map takes all of 5 minutes with the AP hand held tuner. This car is one of the simplest cars to work on mechanically. Space is very tight though. It's all in the tuning.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Keep it!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You have dialed that car in so well Karl, I do get the work and time thing. Hopefully you will find what works best for you but the cool thing is that you can at least enjoy it for now whenever you can. if you do sell it I would gladly stand behind the set-up and support you and the potential new owner 100%. If selling did become the choice i think you could leave it as is. It's nicely done and should bring fair value.

Best of luck bud!

...keep it...keep it haha

Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, if i found out a car was "returned to stock" in any significant way it would be a deal breaker for me. The car may have been poorly modified and i have no way of telling how bad (or good) it was and any abuse the car has taken from the mods is essentially hidden from me. In the modified state i at least have a chance of evaluating what was done and possibly benefit from the mods if they are what i want

Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Sparrow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Personally, if i found out a car was "returned to stock" in any significant way it would be a deal breaker for me. The car may have been poorly modified and i have no way of telling how bad (or good) it was and any abuse the car has taken from the mods is essentially hidden from me. In the modified state i at least have a chance of evaluating what was done and possibly benefit from the mods if they are what i want
this!

I would think the seller would be trying to 'trick' people... especially since it wouldn't likely be listed in the for sale ad. (that it was modded with xxx and then returned to stock).

Even if it was in the ad, they would wonder why it was returned to stock... raises a lot of questions

Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by magoochi
Returning these car to stock and moding them is very easy. I am assuming you don't do your own work on your vehicle? This engine is a very basic low tech engine. That is why it is so bulletproof. People assume because it is in a Porsche it must be so hi tech. Today's Porsche's are a different story though. All of the mods/parts are direct bolt on on my TT. It's all in the tuning bad things can happen with a bad tunes that are pushed to far. There is not a lot that can go wrong with the mods themselves. I agree that a good tuner is imperative that's why Sam at by Design / Cobb tuned my car. Returning the car to the stock map takes all of 5 minutes with the AP hand held tuner. This car is one of the simplest cars to work on mechanically. Space is very tight though. It's all in the tuning.

I would think the comment, most people or shops don't do thingscorrectly or care would insinuate that I do all my work and don’t trust anyoneelse due to the lack of trust. Which in turn means lack of trust that someonewould take things back to stock in the correct manner. And nothing isbulletproof if you screw it up. It’s also not low tech. a split case, OHC turbomotor that’s insanely expensive is anything but. A pushrod GM v8 is low tech. And even thougheverything is “so simple” it could be put back together halfassed. Leaks, random injectors, some tune, strippedbolts and just lack of care. The owner just wants to get rid of it. Hence, I’d never ever buy a car that’s beenconverted back to stock.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^ thats about the most cogent reason(s) i've ever heard of, to be leery of "back to stock". well put.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Unfortunately I have seen a lot of this. Shops and or customers scramble for whatever crap they can find to get the car put back together and it's usually done in a rush or just to get the car sold. I do agree on that being something to stay away from. It does though really come down to the shop and the owner. Some guys like Karl keep all their stuff and he would never know anyone was in there because it's all done properly. It all comes down to a good inspection. Good point though.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
or alternately as a guideline, when buying a modded car. try to ensure it was modded by, or has some provenance offered by sam, as i have. or is at least a car guided by sam's expertise during that process like magoochi's is. either or.

i say we start a company called samfax lol

Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
I say keep the car the way it sits. If you decide to put it up for sale their are plenty of buyers for a well documented well modded car. Sure there may be a bigger buyers market for a stock tt, but yours isn't stock no more. Having all the original stock components for the new buyer is a major plus. If I were to buy a modded tt that's the way I would want it (with stock components). Not transformed back to stock.
like others have said, you just don't know what's going on with the car. And as mentioned in previous post provenance is key. Nothing wrong with a well documented modded tt with all the right stuff and a highly respected tuner. I am the original owner of a very low milage 03 tt and often pondered modifying due to depreciation. Even thought about selling due to lack of use. Done that with other cars and sellers remorse still haunts me. Well my love for the car and the need for more power has put me on the slippery slope. Purchased new turbos, intercoolers, clutch, injectors, cob, and more. And of course Sam to bring it all together. I want to enjoy the car.
Keep it the way it sits. Drive and enjoy until you get the right buyer. Heck you may wind up keeping her.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
There's a lot of wisdom in what Rick just said...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Put it up for sale modded and see what happens. It only takes 1 person so you never know. If no sale then sell it as a stock virgin car. I had a modded Duramax that I spent a few months selling. I got a lot of calls from skeptical buyers trying to feel me out. Brought it back to stock and it sold in 2 days.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Selling a car as " brought back to stock " and a " stock VIRGIN " are totally two different things with these types of cars.
What do you say to a potential buyer when he asks about history and what has been done to the car. Do you tell them it was modded and returned to stock or do you side skirt and not reveal the transformation. If you hide it and it is picked up under close inspection then what do you do. You have lost all trust. If you don't hide it, what do most people start to think. Who did the work ? Was it done correctly ? Are they the original parts that came with the car ? Why did you mod it ? How long was it modded ? Thinking to myself " was it beat on ? ". The list of questions and self thoughts goes on as the potential buyer.
A car that has been modded by any means will never ever be a stock VIRGIN. Even if returned to stock form.
You must put yourself in the aforementioned situation as a buyer and ask yourself what would you do/think.
The OP sounds like an honest guy and by the description of his vehicle it sounds like a gem. I don't think he would represent his vehicle in any manner than what it truly is and was.
So you must ask yourself do I leave it as is. A perfectly running modded animal ( with all the stock parts on the side ) or put the stock equipment back on.
Just my thoughts !

Old 03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You have to assume that if he is returning it to stock he is also going with the never modded story. As long as the car isn't trashed and there is every reason to believe it should be fine I feel that this isn't super unethical. I sold my truck at a consignment lot so I didn't have to say anything, but the truck was in great condition so I feel ok about it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.