996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Easy gas gauge fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:12 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Easy gas gauge fix

So like many of you, my gas gauge never indicated full after a fill up. I' done with a bunch of mods so I've decide to tackle some of the little things that bother me. Of of them, although silly, is the gas gauge that does not indicate full when full. Mine never indicated more than 7/8

Here is how I fixed the problem:

***Note: Please take all safety precautions when dealing with fuel and refer to manual on how to remove the sender safely**** There are some DIY on how tho remove the sender/ fuel pump.

To fix the problem, I bent the float arm(metal wire)downward about 1/4" to 1/2". Note: the amount required from car to car may vary. This basically causes the sender arm to be higher at any and all fuel level thus indicating a higher value. Just remember to bend it downward. To be clear, this is in effect robbing Peter to pay Paul. So in theory the gauge could be indicating more fuel than is actually in the tank.

So to be safe, I filled the tank(gauge indicated full), drove around till it indicated half full. From there I filled the tank again and took note of how much fuel I used. To my delight, it used exactly half of the tank capacity. I now know my gas gauge is indicating accurately and it now also shows full after a fill-up.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes. The hardest part is getting the sender back in properly so it does not hang up on anything in the tank. Before removing the sender, take a Sharpie and mark its position before you pull it out.

Karl,

Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
The guy who builds a floatless fuel sender for these cars that can sit in one of the tank ends will make a fortune! I currently have a tangled float and never see above 3/4 and just haven't felt like going in there to solve it lol

Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 AM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
correct me if im wrong, but cant you re calibrate the sender to read full by filling up the tank all the way and then disconnecting the battery for a bit and then reconnecting it?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Mine goes up to full. My problem is that the sender gets hung up at the halfway mark now, so it always reads half full even when nearly empty. Ran out of gas once because of it, just haven't gotten around to trying to fix it.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
ahhhh gotcha.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM
infinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by magoochi
So like many of you, my gas gauge never indicated full after a fill up. I' done with a bunch of mods so I've decide to tackle some of the little things that bother me. Of of them, although silly, is the gas gauge that does not indicate full when full. Mine never indicated more than 7/8

Here is how I fixed the problem:

***Note: Please take all safety precautions when dealing with fuel and refer to manual on how to remove the sender safely**** There are some DIY on how tho remove the sender/ fuel pump.

To fix the problem, I bent the float arm(metal wire)downward about 1/4" to 1/2". Note: the amount required from car to car may vary. This basically causes the sender arm to be higher at any and all fuel level thus indicating a higher value. Just remember to bend it downward. To be clear, this is in effect robbing Peter to pay Paul. So in theory the gauge could be indicating more fuel than is actually in the tank.

So to be safe, I filled the tank(gauge indicated full), drove around till it indicated half full. From there I filled the tank again and took note of how much fuel I used. To my delight, it used exactly half of the tank capacity. I now know my gas gauge is indicating accurately and it now also shows full after a fill-up.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes. The hardest part is getting the sender back in properly so it does not hang up on anything in the tank. Before removing the sender, take a Sharpie and mark its position before you pull it out.

Karl,

Just curious, mine never filled up all the way because the vent valve had issues. Are you filling up 15+ gallons on an empty tank? cause if you are not, the problem is just being masked now because of the adjusted gauge.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:51 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by infinkc
Just curious, mine never filled up all the way because the vent valve had issues. Are you filling up 15+ gallons on an empty tank? cause if you are not, the problem is just being masked now because of the adjusted gauge.
I never let it get real low. I usually fill up when it's around 1/4". I can say that when it indicates 1/2 it will take 8 gallons to fill up. so that is pretty much on the money. I think the tank is around 16 gal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.