996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help removing rear side trim panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Need help removing rear side trim panel

I got stalled yesterday attempting to remove the driver's side rear side trim panel. I had been following the DIY write-up at pelican and quickly discovered that the manner of fastening the panel to the body of the car was changed for the '04 and '05 model years (and maybe '03 as well). The attaching screws shown in the parts catalog aren't where shown in those drawings (or pelican's pictures). Did an internet search and couldn't come up with anything helpful. So I still don't know if there is an attaching screw at the top near the window (or anywhere else) or if the entire panel is entirely pop-out.

In front, immediately behind the door, the side panel lifts out of the slot on floor, and there are definitely some pop-out fasteners, but I couldn't see how to detach it at just below the B pillar. I've brute-forced stuff in the past and broken them; so having learned some expensive lessons the hard way, this time I stopped before breaking anything and am hoping someone can shed some light on this or direct me to some online resources that show the later model year panels being removed. Anyone have a how-to tip?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I've had my panels out a few times for various reasons... Did you get the screw that is in the area where the seatbelt goes down into the panel? Hard to describe what I'm talking about, if you haven't figured it out by this evening, shoot me a PM and I'll take mine out again and walk you through it.

If I remember right, the B pillar trim has to come out, and there is a screw right around that point that is very recessed and hard to reach.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Thanks, I'll take another look at it. I figured there's got be a screw in there somewhere. I just couldn't spot it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.