996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Sam is an absolute Gentleman. Just give him a call.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:26 AM
88mmm will become famous soon enough88mmm will become famous soon enough
I have about 5k miles on my gt2 clutch installed in may this year and it's been great. Just like stock, no difference in feel or chatter etc.. I have a flash and exhaust and see no issues.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
GT2 and turbo clutches that are not on the way out are great up to about 580/600 crank hp.

Cheers guys!

Old 07-19-2017, 12:59 PM
mffarrell is on a distinguished road
Thank you!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 AM
Gcalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Stebo
My car is basically stock. I only have an exhaust. The car has just under 23k miles.

Literally just did the sachs race engineering unsprung organic friction disc and the uprated (764) pressure plate with a new dual mass flywheel. I retained my stock slave cylinder.

I was skeptical about what I had read, but it's true. There are literally no downsides to it. You can't tell the difference when driving the car. My pedal is as light as a civic's. The beauty is, if you ever change your mind about modifications, it will hold power for the first several rounds of mods. I plan to get a tune, so I pulled the trigger on the clutch kit as mine was already slipping under certain conditions. I highly recommend it as do many many others.

Thought I would chime-in that the above is not necessarily "universal".

I did the exact same change, and found that I do have a slight chatter that was not there before, and an engagement that is more "abrupt" than I would like. When I got my car, the clutch was slipping so I figured that maybe even a stock clutch feels the same way, but I've driven a couple of other cars that were more forgiving, and one car that was like mine. Guess what? When I asked, they said they had the 2.5 clutch installed...

Mind you, I'm not a particularly accomplished driver. My guess is that one's impressions are going to be different if one is better with the clutch pedal than I am..

Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
You're right. I agree that engagement is more abrupt. I was referring to pedal compression pressure. I figured it was a given that any new clutch is going to have a more abrupt engagement than an old one. Mine is by no means "on/off" either. Slight recalibration of the left is all that was required for me to adjust.
That said, I have driven too many cars with upgraded clutches where the pedal required leg-press levels of force, which ruins the fun of driving. The SRE set up isn't one of those clutches.

Last edited by Stebo; 07-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Recently installed the "2.5" setup in mine as well. I tend to agree with Stebo in that for the price vs additional holding power potential..IF there is even a TINY chance that you may want to do some upgrades it is the way to go. I did not want increased pedal effort and there is NONE at all. Pedal is as soft as a VW Jetta...lol

Regarding the actual engagement, like Gcalex yes I do feel it is ever so slightly more responsive/less forgiving (really easy to get used to) but as far as pedal effort again that is just like stock.

Being that the GT2 disc is ALSO unsprung that aspect of it (the ever so slightly less forgiving engagement) should be pretty much the same as the "2.5".

I really feel that with the Sachs "2.5" setup I am having my cake and also eating it

My suggestion for OP is that if you want stock engagement AND have no plans for upgraded power stick with stock Turbo disc. If you are ok with GT2 disc/Unsprung disc I'd be all over a "2.5". Good luck

PS. - I will also echo the idea of giving Sambo or one of the other well known guys on here a shout. Very helpful guys.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Thanks again. I'll also stick another note I'm here just in case others read this thread so they can have the information. There's no performance benefit at all to be had running the GT2 disc over the turbo. It's just designed to have that tighter engagement. As some explained it's not bad in anyway it's actually just a nice feeling. Like the delay is gone. When you go into the SRE performance desk there actually is an anti-chatter provision built in between the two disc services. Kind of like a leaf spring so it's actually if anything smoother and also creates more preload to hold even more torque. The hobbit is also much thicker stronger and has a different rivet design. The main thing for holding more power is the pressure plate upgrade. That does not affect drivability either as mentioned. For the small investment it's worth it especially as the prices have gone down a little bit. But running a GT2 disc will not do you any good. It's actually a few bucks cheaper and some companies throw it into the package but it's not as good as the actual SRE disk.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Gcalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Agree with others that pedal effort is totally fine with the 2.5 set-up.

As others have concurred, however, there is a difference in engagement feel.

I don't regret making the switch, because I do plan to upgrade things before too long, but if I had not planned to bump the car up substantially, I think the stock set-up is easier to drive with.

Again, I think it depends on what you are used to. A couple of people who drive regular Boxsters (for example) reacted with a "yikes" the first time they let the clutch-out on my car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.