6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Rear Wing Mechanism question (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/427917-rear-wing-mechanism-question.html)

eds996tt 01-12-2019 06:52 AM

Rear Wing Mechanism question

The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed

Macster 01-12-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by eds996tt (Post 4760003)
The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed

Could be the switch.

However it might be something else. I gave away my Bentley book on the Porsche 996 so I have nothing to refer to but I'd check for if there is a separate relay for operating the spoiler via the dash switch.

If the spoiler is operating without any signs of any issues, and the hydraulic system is leak free, I'd just leave the spoiler alone. Just keep an eye out for any leak sign which is a precursor to the spoiler deploying crooked and only when (if) the system leaks or manifests other signs of any issues send the unit out to be rebuilt.

eds996tt 01-12-2019 08:34 AM

Good point "Relay" i'm not sure perhaps someone has some information on this... thanks

'02996ttx50 01-12-2019 08:47 AM

first time i'd ever heard of dash switch issues with our spoilers. i thought i had heard of every imaginable issue.

in addition to the myriad numbers of fixed wing options and/or dave's rennkit. kevin at UMW now makes a ram repair kit. something to think about. dash switch again, is a "new one" to me. GL w it.

Slider 01-12-2019 08:49 AM

All of the console switches are connected to relays - I can't tell you where they are located though...

drinaldis 01-12-2019 09:35 AM

Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.

tnE30fan 01-14-2019 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by drinaldis (Post 4760028)
Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.

It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

drinaldis 01-14-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tnE30fan (Post 4760248)
It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

got it

Twinturbofan 01-15-2019 08:25 PM

May be silly comment, but ignition has to be on for switch to work. Also +1 if it's working and not leaking, leave as is.

eds996tt 01-17-2019 06:56 AM

Nothing is ever silly when it comes to these cars... So this is getting interesting. I know the operation of the rear wing and how it works and the ignition switch needs to be on. I have 911's for over 18 years. So now it seems there is a glitch that i cant explain. Last summer while driving the car i could raise the wing (hold button in for 5 seconds or so) see wing come up from rear view mirror. Same as when I clean the car with ignition on to clean underneath.

Later in the summer Switch did not work (standing still). This went on for months... i tried it from time to time... nothing. I did notice a drop of fluid at the bottom of each plastic assembly. Not alot but i cleaned it.
However on the highway at speed it comes up and goes down normally (manual switch does not work). Then last week i plan on sending the assembly out to be rebuilt but decided to post first a few weeks back to get any feedback from others. I read the response and think well perhaps go in the garage (keep in mind i only use the car once a month if that) and try again.

Well guess what... it goes up and down. So now what ? i open the lid and check for any leaks,,, i see nothing.It is dry.. so something is going on. Do i send it out to be rebuilt or just wait for it to die....

Slider 01-17-2019 08:05 AM

You car is telling you that it is not in a hurry and you can have the work done when it is most convenient for you. You have a very thoughtful car. (Mine tends to demand stuff!)

Stebo 01-17-2019 08:28 AM

If she's cooperative just let her be.

eds996tt 01-18-2019 06:09 PM

I thought about this issue today and undersatnd why ithe wing is working. Colder weather thickens the oil hence probably why it works in cold vs warm weather. There may not be enough oil in the system. To be safe i will pull it aprt and send it out to be rebuilt.. At least while ithe wing is up i can remove the rams. When down i'm not sure of the options. So makes sence to fix it now.

DaveCarrera4S 01-19-2019 12:41 PM

Oil viscosity does not play a role. It is a closed hydraulic system. More likely a switch, relay (there are two under parcel shelf, drivers side) or cluster ECU. The 2 micro switches on the right side ram are very finicky as well. Much to go bad.

DERBOOST 01-23-2019 09:12 AM

question, can the "speed" control be totally disabled so the wing will go up or down on the switch action only? Or is it possible to add a resistor to keep the thing down till like 100mph ? Drives me nuts having it go up and down all the time.