996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The best wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:50 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
So Andrew help this guy out - what's the best wax he should buy?

Old 12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Ray M is on a distinguished road
The Klasse family of products is my current #1 choice and has been for the past 2 years. I have been through Zaino, Zymol, P21S, Pinnacle Souveran, Blitz, you name it....Klasse surpasses them all. Their "All in One" product does an awesome job of filling in any reaming swirls, etc after the application of a polish, leaving a mirror finish. The recommended follow up application of "Sealant Glaze" further enhances shine and durability with each coat. Application is simple if product is applied properly.

Nevertheless, in my constant pursuit of the next best thing, I am about to place an order from a European company by the name of Swissol. It comes highly referred by a friend in Germany. Their website is http://www.swizol.com/. Out of curiosity, has anyone here had any experience with their products?

Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by dan996tt
P21s or Andrew's wax is great.

Zaino is polymer based, it gives German paints a "cloudy' appearance. This is noticeable on dark colored German paints.
I must 100% dissagree with this statement. When using the Zaino #2 and finished with a quick coat of Zaino #6. my black beauty is so slick it looks liquid. That's the best I can describe it. It is far from "cloudy".

Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
The real answer to this question is that there is no one best wax. Each wax offers its own advantages/disadvatages. Technically, Zaino, Klasse, and Crystal Guard are not waxes, they are sealents. These offer more durability and a more reflective shine then a true carnauba wax. I personally find this shine almost "fake" in its appearance.

Carnauba waxes are not going to last as long as a sealent as they are natural. Waxes that are heavy in white carnauba are going to give you a great "deep" shine but will not last long. Yellow carnauba based products are more about durability, but still offer a deeper shine then a sealent. That being said...

I like P21S, Zymol, Crystal Guard. But each indivudual will have to find the best wax for his/her needs.

Ray M:

I have heard of Swissol as well, and heard it is some pretty decent stuff from a couple people who have used it. Never actually seen/used it in person though. Please let me know what you think of it.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
i like a nice brazilian wax

Old 12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by offroadr35
i like a nice brazilian wax
NOW WE"RE TALKING!

Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
golfnut is on a distinguished road
I started with Zaino Claybar, 2 coats of Z-5 and 4 coats of Z-2 with Z-6 in between each step over the past 2 weeks. I do like the result but it took at least 4 total coats before it showed liquid like shine. I think Zaino is a great product but a little too much work. I want to try something else (? Zymol) but not sure if I can just apply it on top of Zaino and go back and forth. Any experience with mixing different polish products ?

Old 12-09-2003, 11:32 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Ray - I thought u were a Zaino guy...Also, I believe what wax is best depends on the color of the car (dark or light)...
What is the best for silver?? I like it so bright that on a nice day people need to wear sunglasses to avoid the glare from my paint

Old 12-10-2003, 12:31 AM
EM 996 GTS is on a distinguished road
Zymol Concours

Old 12-10-2003, 12:44 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Concours dont last for ****
I use a combo of Zymol Creme and Titanium (titanium lasts best with ****ty boston weather)

Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 AM
Chris Y. is on a distinguished road
mansour...

have you tried pinnacle products??? I just tried a new wax from pinnacle called "Signature Series Wax" and it's for colors like silver. If your car is preped correctly, this will be hard to beat. I used to be a Zymol guy, but this Pinnacle stuff (along with P21S) is hard to beat.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:31 AM
Chris Y. is on a distinguished road
Although Sal doesn't recommend it, I've topped my "Z" with P21S or S100 and it's great! A very blinding shine to say the least.

If you want to remove your existing Zaino, I've heard of using a spray mix of 50% H20 and 50% Alcohol...or a Dawn wash, but I believe both are very harsh for the paint. I would try a wax cleaner first...

Originally posted by golfnut
I started with Zaino Claybar, 2 coats of Z-5 and 4 coats of Z-2 with Z-6 in between each step over the past 2 weeks. I do like the result but it took at least 4 total coats before it showed liquid like shine. I think Zaino is a great product but a little too much work. I want to try something else (? Zymol) but not sure if I can just apply it on top of Zaino and go back and forth. Any experience with mixing different polish products ?

Old 12-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Swissol looks like good stuff but DAMN!!!! its the most expensive wax I have ever seen. The product designed specifically for Porsche is $104 for a tiny, 200mL jar (about the size of P21s). Holy Crap!

They have this other jar of wax designed and formulated for your car and paint that is over $1500 a jar. What???

I dunno about this stuff... does it come with a beautiful brazillian woman to wax your car in the nude? I sure hope so... now that would be nice...

Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 AM
steveb is on a distinguished road
I tried zymol, zaino P21s, and pinnacle soveran on my black M5 and finally settled on P21S followed by a coat or two of pinnacle soveran.

comments:

zymol-- demanded way too much effort to remove and the shine was not worth it. you get very tired just trying to remove the stuff. also showed a lot in crevices and around plastic.

zaino--there have been a number of tests on zaino and its perceived claims. it looked shallow, plasticy and lacked depth on my M5. plus with all the required coats and steps it was way too much work.

P21s--rated the best wax out there overall based on several reviews, tests and reports. very easy to put on and remove--brilliant shine, esp . on black cars. looked great on my M5 and looks great on my Turbo. more durable than pinnacle soveran

Pinnacle soveran--my favorite wax on black cars. most brilliant, deep, wet looking shine. only negative is that it does not last that long and is somewhat pricey, but it's worth it. also just as easy as P21s to put on and remove. also smells great

Thus I have settled on P21s as a first coast (because of its more durable than soveran) followed by soveran

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
I have used Zymol Carbon in the past, then I switched to the full Zaino treatment, and now I use Klasse All in One topped with Pinnacle Sovereign carnuba wax.

I find Zymol hard to use, smells nice and goes on easily but I almost needed a belt sander to remove the residue. I also think that the sweet smell once attracted ants to my car.

The Zaino takes a while to apply the first time, but after that it takes no time at all. I liked it b/c I could work with it in direct sunlight. While it left a great shine, it was pretty flat looking especialy on dark colors. I also think it attacted a lot of dust.

The Klasse/Pinacle route is my current favorite. The Klasse is the polymer/acrylic basecoat that will protect the paint over the duration and the Pinacle adds that nice depth to the finish.

Britt, when you saw my car this past weekend it was after a 400 mile drive, a week parked outside at the dealership, and it had been 1.5 months since I waxed it last. When freshly detailed it looks nothing short of amazing! However, the real key lies in the details of the prep work... ie wash, clay, polish, sealant, wax. Read over at Autopia, they are obsessed with detailing over there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The best wax?