996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can my areo lip be fixed?? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Moderatorette
Porsche Babe is on a distinguished road
Evan,
Sorry to read about your front spoiler. Cargraphic makes a similar one in Poly urethane that is paintable. It is alot more durable than fiber glass. Just a heads up...

Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
I have no doubt It can be repaired. In any event, Suncoast sells them for around $700ish should you go that route. I can tell you I'll be getting another front one ( Aero or The Roock/Strosek..) so one will be on the car while the others in the shop...

Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
Just about anything can be fixed... given enough time and money.
From looking at the break, I'd say that the spoiler has likely been compromised in other areas; potentially ones which you are not aware of now.

Say you get the obvious damage fixed, and then a day, week, month, year later, you find cracks appearing because of the aero loads on the spoiler as you drive... I'd bank on cracks appearing.

If it were me; I'd replace it AND if you have a chin spoiler you like better, use this as an opportunity to upgrade and take advantage of the situation.

Joe West

Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Joe West
Just about anything can be fixed... given enough time and money.
From looking at the break, I'd say that the spoiler has likely been compromised in other areas; potentially ones which you are not aware of now.

Say you get the obvious damage fixed, and then a day, week, month, year later, you find cracks appearing because of the aero loads on the spoiler as you drive... I'd bank on cracks appearing.

If it were me; I'd replace it AND if you have a chin spoiler you like better, use this as an opportunity to upgrade and take advantage of the situation.

Joe West
Thanks Joe, that is what I was thinking because of those hairline cracks I saw...They seem like stress cracks, and I am thinking they may just get worse with time.... Its not a new chin spoiler I like, its the whole bumper ANyone wanna donate to the "Buy AMGETR a new front end" fund??
Evan

Old 12-09-2003, 09:39 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Evan, Get a factory GT2 front end...It will look great!!!!

Old 12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by rockitman
Evan, Get a factory GT2 front end...It will look great!!!!
Would you like to make a donation??
Seriously, I have very little personal cash right now...almost all of it will be going to my ticket...I have to start saving up, the GT2 front is out of the question...it would take me a year to save up that much
Evan

Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned
Chordate is an unknown quantity at this point
A little O/T, but how much does a GT2 front end cost?
thanks

Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by mehrabani1
A little O/T, but how much does a GT2 front end cost?
thanks
I believe around 5-6k, but I could be wrong....Ken???
Evan

Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Re GT2 Front end:
It depends. The rad support and ductwork isn't cheap and I got the cover used.

Re the repairs:
If the piece is plastic or polyurethane, the repair should consist of a two part epoxy applied to the cracked area and the addition of a reinforcment splice on the backside of the spoiler. This will make the cracked area stronger than it originally was. Without the reinforcement splice, its strength is a crap shoot.
If the piece is fiberglass, the repair should consist of the grinding of the area on both sides of the crack and the application of a small piece of fberglass matting and associated epoxy resin across the joint. The area would then be sanded, filled, primed, and painted.
Based upon review of the photos, it is my belief that the cracks around the openings are flex cracks in the paint only due to the weaker section around the openings.
Personally, if it were me, I woul dlook into a replacement stock lip or a C4S lip and paint it to body color. They will be more durable in the long run due to their smaller profile.
Hope that helps.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:48 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Eavn - from a fellow TTaero lip owner just try and fix it!!
Gert's $800 does not include shipping last I checked! shipping is gonna be....lets just say NOT CHEAP!
My friend bought one from a local P dealer and it was like near $900 out the door...
Being that our cars are lowered, this thing will happen again and will get scraped no matter how careful you try and be...some situations are just unavoidable. Besides, I think yours is lowerthan mine and I have a hard time as is!!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 AM
EM 996 GTS is on a distinguished road
ask Sharky to duct-taped them together!

did you check ebay? you never know what you are gonna find....

Old 12-10-2003, 12:46 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yes! I can always find some yellow duct tape. That will work

PS Darn this GT2 bumper overhaul is a PIA, Stephen is going to order the parts but as Ken said it doesn't look like it's gonna be easy At least my new wing is on tho

Old 12-10-2003, 01:04 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
pics sharky!!!

Old 12-10-2003, 02:50 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
Evan, a good body shop can do miracles but you also might want to contact MAShaw, Getty Design for fiberglass replacements and everywhere else you can think to get the best price, on the factory Aero Lip, but why don't you also get a stock TT front spoiler iirc they are $300 or so, and you can replace the aero and maybe even paint it to match until you get enough money for a replacement aero. Or maybe even a C4S chin spoiler Gert has it for only 100 euro or about $125 US.

Last edited by dbelleperc; 12-10-2003 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Evan,

Contact one of the guys at Suncoast Porsche. I find their prices as cheap or cheaper than Gert, mostly due to the exchange rate and duties. Ask for Phil or Ric in Porsche parts, they have always taken good care of me.

As expensive as that chin spoiler is, I would look into getting it fixed and resprayed. Another option would be to get the new one and not paint it... assuming it comes in flat black.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can my areo lip be fixed?? (Pics)