996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modded GT2 w/ slow quarter mile times: Elevation/Air quality adjustment factor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:12 PM
GeorgeJ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vincentdds
He probably have the GT600 upgrade on the car instead of 600rwhp. Stock tires on these cars are horrific IMO.
I am not sure of what engine package he has. The only thing I know is that he has changed the turbos, headers, exhaust, intake and computer. I just know he claims it is somewhere in the mid 600 range. I am guessing this is at the crank, not wheels.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Craig
Its hard to run a fast 1/4 mile with a 2.18 60 foot time. If he got his 60 foot time down to 1.6-1.7, he would likely have run the 11-11.1 time he claimed (perhaps faster). EVOMS and Sharky both did 60 feet in under 1.7 during their 10 second runs.

Craig

Craig,

I agree he probably could have reduce his elapsed time if could launch the car properly, but the start should not affect the MPH right? I thought that generally stays consistent no matter how bad you blow the launch.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Craig,

I agree he probably could have reduce his elapsed time if could launch the car properly, but the start should not affect the MPH right? I thought that generally stays consistent no matter how bad you blow the launch.
More or less, you are correct. Unless he was shifting like a grandma and/or spinning through the first three gears, his MPH should stay rather consistent even if he blows the 60ft time. That is a general rule of thumb. Granted, there are always exceptions...

Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Yes they do. High altitude affects air density thereby affects air:fuel ratio (rich vs lean).

Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes they do. High altitude affects air density thereby affects air:fuel ratio (rich vs lean).
Are you saying high altitude does or does not affect a turbo's performance. I always thought it did not, but what do I know. Maybe what I heard was that turbos were not affected by high altitude as much as NA cars. Does that make more sense?

If so, how much better performance would you have at sea level versus 5000 ft given everything else was equal?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Are you saying high altitude does or does not affect a turbo's performance. I always thought it did not, but what do I know. Maybe what I heard was that turbos were not affected by high altitude as much as NA cars. Does that make more sense?

If so, how much better performance would you have at sea level versus 5000 ft given everything else was equal?

Thanks.
actually.. ur car will run better when leaner... versus when rich...afrs...
more power... buts where u get into danger as well....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
actually.. ur car will run better when leaner... versus when rich...afrs...
more power... buts where u get into danger as well....
I am assuming a leaner situation is at lower altitudes versus higher altitudes, since the oxygen is much denser at sea level. So this would mean our cars would run stronger at sea level I guess.

Right?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
the oxygen the more air and thus more fuel is required.... but if ur car sustains proper fuel ratio.... Im not sure what the difference...
what I do know is that ther is a formula where 20 psi for example at 600 ft above sea level is about 18.8 psi at 2000 ft. and so on and on...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
the oxygen the more air and thus more fuel is required.... but if ur car sustains proper fuel ratio.... Im not sure what the difference...
what I do know is that ther is a formula where 20 psi for example at 600 ft above sea level is about 18.8 psi at 2000 ft. and so on and on...
Thanks Markski.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
High altitude do affects turbo performance. However, stock Motronic ECU in your car have the ability to automatically adjust the AFR thereby compensate and adapt to whatever condition you're running in.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Meaty69Camaro is a jewel in the roughMeaty69Camaro is a jewel in the roughMeaty69Camaro is a jewel in the rough
I know Mickey Thompson and BFG makes a drag radial for a 17" wheel and Nitto makes a DR for an 18" wheel as well.
I pulled a 1.61 60ft off of my M/T DR's and its a 3600lb car. I HIGHLY recommend drag radials.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Meaty69Camaro
I know Mickey Thompson and BFG makes a drag radial for a 17" wheel and Nitto makes a DR for an 18" wheel as well.
I pulled a 1.61 60ft off of my M/T DR's and its a 3600lb car. I HIGHLY recommend drag radials.
Our main problem: MASSIVE wheel hop

The engine actually sits on top of/behind the rear axel. It's not a pretty sight when you try to launch hard, that's for sure.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:14 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
I was a little skeptical of his claim that he beat the C6 Z06.

My buddy kept telling me how much better his car would run in my home town Sacramento because of the altitude versus his track that is over 5000+ ft elevation.

I told him that was BS, since turbo and supercharged cars do not get

affected by high altitudes like NA cars. This correct right?
My GT2 beats Z06's, I have raced 2.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by grussell
My GT2 beats Z06's, I have raced 2.
C6 Z06s or C5 Z06s?

Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 AM
High altitude do affects turbo performance. However, stock Motronic ECU in your car have the ability to automatically adjust the AFR thereby compensate and adapt to whatever condition you're running in.

I think I now agree with my buddy that elevation conditions affects performance.

I just remembered last year when I drove up to Incline Village (Lake Tahoe) in the GT2 that my car actually felt a lot slower accelerating up the grade versus in the Sacramento valley. I don't know the elevation difference between Sacramento and Incline, but it is substantial.

I think I may give him a benefit of a doubt that if he pulled 126 or 127 at approximately 5500' that at sea level over 130 is possible.

What should a stock GT2 trap at the dragstrip? 118? 119?

BTW, I found out he has a GT640 kit on his GT2.

Last edited by GeorgeJ; 03-10-2006 at 01:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modded GT2 w/ slow quarter mile times: Elevation/Air quality adjustment factor?