996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Scottsdale Exotic Car Club Dyno Day, Saturday, April 15, 10am - 2pm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:51 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
Scottsdale Exotic Car Club Dyno Day, Saturday, April 15, 10am - 2pm

The day is tomorrow! It's the SECC's "Dyno Day" on Saturday, April 15 at Vivid Racing in Chandler. This event will be held from 10am-2pm.

See how much power your car has and get together with the SECC members
and guests for a great event! Vivid will be providing food and drink for us. This promises to be a teriffic social event. Vivid has an all wheel drive dyno, so 996 Turbos, Bentley Continental GTs, Lamborghini Gallardos and Murcielagos will have no problems. RWD and FWD cars will be fine also.

A group of us will be meeting at the Scottsdale Pavillions McDonald's parking lot (on Indian Bend & the Loop 101) at 9:30am to drive down together.

This promises to be a great event so invite your friends and family to come as well.

See this link for more details:

http://www.scottsdaleexoticcarclub.com/415dynoday.html

See you on Saturday!

Old 04-18-2006, 01:49 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to thank everyone who participated in Saturday's Dyno Day. The event was a great success!!!.We had a great turnout and great weather to boot! It seems that everybody got an opporunity to get their car dynoed, meet fellow auto enthusiasts an have some food and fun. A big thank you to Dan, Mitch and the staff at Vivid Racing who did a wonderful job!

I have posted some of the photos from the event on our site. See this link:
http://www.scottsdaleexoticcarclub.com/415dynoday.html

If you have any additonal photos or video, please email them to me so I can post them on the site!

Don't forget about about our "Sunday Drive" on April 30th!!:
http://www.scottsdaleexoticcarclub.com/sundaydrive430.html

Check our calendar for other upcoming events!
http://www.scottsdaleexoticcarclub.com/calendar.html

Hope to see you on the 30th!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Cool pics and video,

show us the numbers.

Marty

Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Cool pics and video,

show us the numbers.

Marty
This is all that I can remember:

Lambo:400 at all 4
GT700: 565 at all 4
Twin turbo Vette: 558 at the rear
SL65 RennTech: 790lb/ft at the rear.

This was an All wheel Mustang Dyno. They are currently working on getting more ventilation and airflow into the room. The air was pretty hot and stale for these runs.

We figured about a 32% drivetrain loss on the AWD cars.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 AM
AZBoostjunkie is on a distinguished road
Joe,

There's a AWD Dynojet in Chandler if you are interested in seeing what your BEAST will do on a Dynojet.

Later,
Guilly

Originally Posted by RennTechV12
This is all that I can remember:

Lambo:400 at all 4
GT700: 565 at all 4
Twin turbo Vette: 558 at the rear
SL65 RennTech: 790lb/ft at the rear.

This was an All wheel Mustang Dyno. They are currently working on getting more ventilation and airflow into the room. The air was pretty hot and stale for these runs.

We figured about a 32% drivetrain loss on the AWD cars.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for coming! Dyno Jets read high and are number pleasers for sure. The DynoJet in Chandler is outdoors and it is getting to hot for that....

Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Numbers sound about right (what you would expect in the heat)

that renntech is a beast!!!
must be a hoot to hammer it...

Marty K.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
This is what people that dyno on Mustang dyno's usually say. However HP calculators match Dynojets closer than other dynos. Furthermore dynojets are A) very repeatable regardless of elevation, temperature, humidity, etc. (across different dynos) and B) more common than other types of dynos making comparisons with other people's cars in other parts of the country much easier.

In fact Mustang dynos read low so to calculate crank HP a much higher "drivetrain loss" number needs to be used.

Later,
Guilly

Originally Posted by vividracing
Thanks for coming! Dyno Jets read high and are number pleasers for sure. The DynoJet in Chandler is outdoors and it is getting to hot for that....

Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Worthless arguement...

Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree 100%.

Worthless arguement...

Old 04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
The dyno game becomes complicated:
You really can only compare different cars on the same day with
the same conditions and same gas.
Or conversely do a car under strict conditons (temp, boost levels,
and gasoline type) make some changes..
and run it again on the same dyno.
Other than that the dyno numbers are all over the board and
are very difficult to make any conclusions.
ex: GT700 put down X horsepower on that day, is that good ?
who the hell knows, unless it has been on that same dyno
several other times and you are comparing, otherwise it is
not a definitive answer to compare to other cars on other dynos
on different days, blah, blah, blah.
Cool stuff to see none the less.
Marty K

Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor
Well Hi everybody this is Mitch and want to thank everyone that showed up here I really had a good time.
Now on to dyno talk.
First off lets look at some very simple things.
First-- Dyno-Jet is an Inertial dyno. Horsepower is equal to a calculation that is made based on speed of the rollers and does not factror in the little things like drag coefficent and other things of that nature. Also the dyno-jets are not load bearing in any way so they cannot push back on a car to get a good measurement on a cars tractive effort. Mustangs and dyno dynamics are. Now I believe that nowadays that you can order Dyno-jets with some type of load cell, have people had a lot of luck with them, i am not sure as i dont know too many people that have tried it. Most will stick to companys that have been doing it for years like Mustang and DD.

Second,
When looking at a car like the GT700 996, he did X amount of power on a 2WD Dyno Jet. So how did an AWD car dyno on a 2WD dyno you ask? Disconnect the drive shaft and then run it. Well what happens when you only have 2 wheels spinning compared to 4? Well think about it, as it is general physics of rotational mass, there is less parasitic loss of power going to the wheels so of course it is going to make more power as it has half the amount of work required to drive all 4. So a number is going to be lower when you put the car on a dyno that drives all 4 wheels, as the parisitcs loss required to drive all 4 wheels is now present.

Now you can say that the dyno jets always read close to each other regardless of temperature, barametric pressure, humidity? So you do not think that things should have a factor on readings on a dyno? Maybe I dont fully understand what you are meaning with this but these factors are crucial to getting correct measurements.
But I am done with this for now as past this point we can get into when to use SAE correction factors and for what type of cars and that alone is a battle all on its own.
Thanks again fellas for coming out I had a blast and it was nice to meet everyone!!!!!
Mitch Mckee
Vivid Racing

Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Former Vendor
Also for the record by no means am I saying that one dyno is better than the rest, we choose the Mustang for a reason and that is just consistency and they are great for tuning, as well as overall price. I have tuned on dyno jets before and they get the job done. So onto the better parts of life like how nice it is in AZ right now!!

Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
No so with corrected #'s on a properly setup Dynojet. I dynoed a ~400 RWHP automatic Supra in AZ (hot, 1300 feet above sea level), Hunnington Beach (cooler, close to sea level) and Vegas (hot and around 2300 feet above sea level). Horsepower figures were within 5 RWHP of each other.

Guilly

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
The dyno game becomes complicated:
You really can only compare different cars on the same day with
the same conditions and same gas.
Or conversely do a car under strict conditons (temp, boost levels,
and gasoline type) make some changes..
and run it again on the same dyno.
Other than that the dyno numbers are all over the board and
are very difficult to make any conclusions.
ex: GT700 put down X horsepower on that day, is that good ?
who the hell knows, unless it has been on that same dyno
several other times and you are comparing, otherwise it is
not a definitive answer to compare to other cars on other dynos
on different days, blah, blah, blah.
Cool stuff to see none the less.
Marty K

Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
On the 2WD VS 4WD subject, I agree but there are 4WD Dynojets, there's one in fact in Chandler.

As far as drag force, this has nothing to do with HP. A cement truck that makes 500 HP to the wheels has more drag from aerodynamics deficiencies than a 500WHP 996TT but they are still making 500 WHP which is what you are dynoing a car for.

Tunning can of course be done on any dyno if you don't care about what HP #'s you get but rather tuning for a certain air/fuel ratio, etc.

Guilly

Well Hi everybody this is Mitch and want to thank everyone that showed up here I really had a good time.
Now on to dyno talk.
First off lets look at some very simple things.
First-- Dyno-Jet is an Inertial dyno. Horsepower is equal to a calculation that is made based on speed of the rollers and does not factror in the little things like drag coefficent and other things of that nature. Also the dyno-jets are not load bearing in any way so they cannot push back on a car to get a good measurement on a cars tractive effort. Mustangs and dyno dynamics are. Now I believe that nowadays that you can order Dyno-jets with some type of load cell, have people had a lot of luck with them, i am not sure as i dont know too many people that have tried it. Most will stick to companys that have been doing it for years like Mustang and DD.

Second,
When looking at a car like the GT700 996, he did X amount of power on a 2WD Dyno Jet. So how did an AWD car dyno on a 2WD dyno you ask? Disconnect the drive shaft and then run it. Well what happens when you only have 2 wheels spinning compared to 4? Well think about it, as it is general physics of rotational mass, there is less parasitic loss of power going to the wheels so of course it is going to make more power as it has half the amount of work required to drive all 4. So a number is going to be lower when you put the car on a dyno that drives all 4 wheels, as the parisitcs loss required to drive all 4 wheels is now present.

Now you can say that the dyno jets always read close to each other regardless of temperature, barametric pressure, humidity? So you do not think that things should have a factor on readings on a dyno? Maybe I dont fully understand what you are meaning with this but these factors are crucial to getting correct measurements.
But I am done with this for now as past this point we can get into when to use SAE correction factors and for what type of cars and that alone is a battle all on its own.
Thanks again fellas for coming out I had a blast and it was nice to meet everyone!!!!!
Mitch Mckee
Vivid Racing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scottsdale Exotic Car Club Dyno Day, Saturday, April 15, 10am - 2pm