996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Audi RS6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Also, everyone should listen to this sound clip, RS6 with upgraded exhaust.

I want to hear this!!!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by offroadr35
i was going to go with an RS6 but i think i've decided on a cayenne tt because i can tow a trailer with it and the rear is perfect for a dog. can't go wrong with the audi though. i would take it anyday over the benz as we have had lots of mb's and i am very unimpressed with their build quality.
We have both an Audi A6 and a MB E500 - the build quality on both is exceptional, but I would still give the prize to MB. Perhaps you are not as familiar with the new MB models, like the W211 E-class - the old ones were nowhere near as nice, exterior or interior.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:19 PM
h20tt is on a distinguished road
T agree, we have 03 E500 with all bells and whistles and build quality is on par with our 99 sl 500, remember old sl's were the last of the mohicans

Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by teutonictrio
We have both an Audi A6 and a MB E500 - the build quality on both is exceptional, but I would still give the prize to MB. Perhaps you are not as familiar with the new MB models, like the W211 E-class - the old ones were nowhere near as nice, exterior or interior.
hmm we currently have an SL55, have had an ML430, ML55, 2001 S600, 2002 SL500, and probably others that i can't even remember. Every single one of the cars has had problems. We're done with mercedes after we trade the SL55 for a DB9.

Also i personally don't like the way they drive at all. The steering is way too light, the brakes have zero feel. The SL55 is the only one that has an impressive interior also.

Anyway, just my opinion but i really don't like MBs.

-Steve

Old 01-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Erik
Also, everyone should listen to this sound clip, RS6 with upgraded exhaust.

I want to hear this!!!
Erik -> the exhaust sounds great! What make is it?

MIke

Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
h20tt is on a distinguished road
Offroad, aside from the 02 sl those are the newer mb's with drop in quality feel, the new E seems to be an improvment (my opinion).We have had a similar experience as you regarding BMWs, 750il nothing but problems, my 2 M3's had many problems, on the other hand MB ML320 (when it came out in 98) felt cheap but didnt have a single problem in 40,000 miles. We had one of the first 96 E classes with out any problems in 30,000 miles. The Sl never had a problem. I think you are confusing quality with driving feel, there is no doubt Bimmers drive better ie sportier than Benzes but my experience shows that MB's have a better over all quality than BMWs.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Zippy
Erik -> the exhaust sounds great! What make is it?
Doesn't sound like your average daily does it?

http://www.eisenmann-technik.de

http://www.eisenhaus.com/ <------- US website

Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
NW,
I loved the Audis. And thanks to my friends at PES, I've been able to turn them into fun "Sport Wagons" vs. just plain 4wd wagons. However, I've had numerous problems with the Audis. Hell, I'm thinking of going back to a Japanese SUV I've had so many problems. So for those of you who have had many problems with the MB cars.....here's a guy getting a little down on the Audis.

Good luck with the RS6...I hear it is a beast.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:13 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I rode in Shank's chipped and exhausted (funny) RS6 and man that thing is fast! Very sweet ride if I could afford one I would get it instead of my Scoobie. Unfortuneately I am only a poor truck driver so Subaru for me.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I currently have an E500 also and am thinking of getting the RS6 (been watching it for a long time, now waiting for the continuatin of depreciation that has just started, much like no.dot who now doesn't want one, though...) and my wife has the A6, so I'm well familiar with the interiors of both. When I think of whether I'd prefer the RS6 or the E55, mechanically I would think the RS6 would get the nod, but interior and creature comforts definitely go to the E55, and even though it has more power, AWD just seems more do-able than rear with all that power.

The E has awesome seats with the active ventilated and drive dynamic features, and a BEAUTIFUL cockpit, whereas the Audi is simply dated, and even little things like the ambient lighting in the E would be missed. Color displays rather than all red, etc. When I get in the E, it seems like I'm at control central of the most advanced aircraft - when I get in the A6, it's more like our friends' Passat. The RS6 has more allure, and is more upgradeable if I so choose to, and that's the car I've been oogling over since September 2002 when it was announced, not the E55. I could switch to the E55 and nobody would even notice, as most don't know the difference between even a C-class and an S-class.

Anyone with thoughts on these things? Shank - you have both an SL and the RS6 - do you miss the creature comforts and interior design of the MB when in the RS6? NWturbo - since you have the E500, what did you think when you test drove the RS6, or sat in it?

Old 01-31-2004, 09:10 AM
Looking at material, Audi is one of the best cars in the world.
Both BMW and MB has gone a bit too plastic.

However, I agree the current A6 has fewer options than it's competitors (looking at vented seats etc.).

A friend of mine is redoing the side interioir of the doors to upgrade the RS6. Shouldn't be needed I think, but otherwise it's a great car and the quattro makes the car really useable with all that power.

RS6 + Chip makes a very fast car!

Old 01-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Do what I'm doing, have a TT Porsche for nice weather days and lease a nice four door F150 Ford pick up, a great all around beater and you get to keep your Porsche.

Last edited by Rave TT; 01-31-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned for Eternity
it's all nice weather days for me - I'm in S. Cal...

Old 01-31-2004, 10:46 AM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
RS6 vs E500

I finally managed to see an RS6 in person and hear it's exhaust.

Interior - although the interior is not as up to date as my E500, I still think it is very nice. Granted, the E500's interior (I have sport package and Nappa leather options) is more "upscale", the fit and finish of the Audi is almost on par. You have to remember, once you get used to something, you don't notice it anymore. Going between the Audi RS6 and E500 interior within a short while, honestly, I don't really care too much.

Exterior - The regular A6's simply do not look as good as the new W211 E-class. The difference between the RS6 and A6 is more profound that that between the E55 and E500. In person, the RS6 looks very powerful. Shank is right, pictures do not do the car justice.

Driving dynamics - The RS6 beats out the E55 no question. For me, traction is important as I get rain and snow at certain times of the year. My E500 (w/snow tires Michelin Pilot Alpin) was horrible in the snow. On any slight incline, the ESP would just cut in and halt the car. In the wet (w/ Michline Pilot Sports), the E500's ESP would always come on. In short, the car feels very nervous when driven enthusiastically.

The RS6 is really the closest 4-door sedan to my 996TT. It is that good. This was what I was looking for and the RS6 seems to be the best answer. The exhaust sounds way better than our 996TT.
DRC keeps the car quite flat (like ABC on the SL500, CL500) and the steering, brakes, handling is worlds above the E500. The E55 may be faster than an RS6 in the dry but when it's wet, the enthusiactacally driven E55 is an accident waiting to happen. The RS6 gives you confidence and high speed stability like our 996TT.

RS6 and 996TT - the perfect garage for me.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by ColorChange
If rough weather is a serious consideration it is no contest, RS6. If not, I prefer the E55 by a substantial margin in looks and slight performance margin when comparing stock. I believe the RS6 will be easier to mod. For me, E55 (obviously, mine is being built as we speak).

Shank, I would like to get together next week. Tell me where you’re at and we can meet for lunch. I have to hit Jewelers Row and pick up some wine at Sam's. PM if you’re interested.
Tim/Ryan-

Do not forget your good friend Lou. I can show you my new car!Not to intrude, but, would love to meet up as well unless this is a private meeting or something.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS6