996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SWEET! Went to a research event today - possibly the new Porsche Sedan designs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
So this " 4 door GT" as previewed will be a " 3 box " design like a traditional sedan and not a " 2 box " like a station wagon/SUV/hatchback/crossover ?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MKW
So this " 4 door GT" as previewed will be a " 3 box " design like a traditional sedan and not a " 2 box " like a station wagon/SUV/hatchback/crossover ?
Well, it's hard to describe, as it seems to be a completely new hybrid. It's like a stretched coupe, only with a back hatch that opens, and rear seats that fold down like a wagon, so on the inside and with access, it's a hatchback/wagon, but looks like a long GT coupe.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:07 PM
MKW
Originally posted by teutonictrio
Well, it's hard to describe, as it seems to be a completely new hybrid. It's like a stretched coupe, only with a back hatch that opens, and rear seats that fold down like a wagon, so on the inside and with access, it's a hatchback/wagon, but looks like a long GT coupe.
So it sounds like a 4dr stretch 928 / 944 in concept ,if not styling , since they were 2 dr 2+2 coupes with opening rear hatches also. Now if that rear glass is not as sloped as on those cars and therefore the roofline is extended to a more vertical backlight, then it would look sorta like a supersized 4 door M Coupe . The big question than is what is the angle of that rear hatch ?

Last edited by MKW; 02-11-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by MKW
So it sounds like a 4dr stretch 928 / 944 in concept ,if not styling , since they were 2 dr 2+2 coupes with opening rear hatches also. Now if that rear glass is not as sloped as on those cars and therefore the roofline is extended to a more vertical backlight, then it would look sorta like a supersized 4 door M Coupe . The big question than is what is the angle of that rear hatch ?
Sounds almost like a station wagon argh!! I hope not. BTW, how did the CLS look?

Old 02-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
It's not a station wagon - wish I could describe it better. It's fantastic, that's all I can really say, and you'll have to trust me on it. If I had the talents to draw it out, I would, but I don't...

The CLS is ****. I saw it at the LA Auto Show too, and to an E500 owner, I'd be embarassed to drive that E-series and CL-series mutant. Barf.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
It's not a station wagon - wish I could describe it better. It's fantastic, that's all I can really say, and you'll have to trust me on it. If I had the talents to draw it out, I would, but I don't...

The CLS is ****. I saw it at the LA Auto Show too, and to an E500 owner, I'd be embarassed to drive that E-series and CL-series mutant. Barf.
Not that I have seen either in person, however from the spy shots of the new S and the real pics of the CLS it looks as though MB is cloning BMW. With all the heat Bangle takes, the new S seems to follow suit both with interior and exterior design. The CLS looks like Bungles styling. Maybe the rumors were true, MB sent Bungle in to ruin BMW and now MB is adopting his concave/convex flame surfacing

Old 02-12-2004, 09:35 AM
MKW
Spy pics of the 2006 S-class show " I-drive " type controller between front and rear seats and moving the gear selector to a tiny lever on the right side of the steering column just like on the 7 series. If you follow the multitude of continuing electrical gremlins that plague MBZ's current models , it doesn't give one much confidence that you wouldn't be a frequent flyer at the service dept with the next S-class .

Teutonictrio, can you at least make a quick comment on whether the rear hatch is closer to a 944 or Civic hatchback in angle , please.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Banned for Eternity
I'd say closer to a 944. It's easier to explain this way - imagine a widebody 911 coupe, then imagine that rear window is a hatch - that's how it is. Because it is front-engined, that rear area becomes the hatch of the vehicle. With the wide-body style, it still looks cool because the wheels stick out and give a muscular stance, as opposed to a standard Civic style hatchback.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:09 AM
MKW
I'd say closer to a 944. It's easier to explain this way - imagine a widebody 911 coupe, then imagine that rear window is a hatch - that's how it is. Because it is front-engined, that rear area becomes the hatch of the vehicle. With the wide-body style, it still looks cool because the wheels stick out and give a muscular stance, as opposed to a standard Civic style hatchback.
That sounds interesting . I was worried it would become a sedan- chassis based " big-wagon-thing " like a Chrysler Pacifica . Thanks !

Old 02-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned for Eternity
God no! If someone is really good at Photoshop, I can work with him/her and come up with my renditions, using some current 911's as the basis for it. Contact me if you can do this.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Banned for Eternity
Hey all, I found some pictures that are SORT OF like what I saw at the research event - http://www.freewebs.com/volkswagencar/scoops.htm - the one I saw had more shape to it, with bulging fenders (like that picture with widebody), and somewhat of RX-8 thrown in.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Banned for Eternity
Just found this on the web - it's fairly close to what was at the event, only it was more muscular, with the rear haunches sticking out, so it looked more like an extended coupe than this wagon style.

http://auto-motor-sport.de/d/36450/d..._detail?skip=1

Old 03-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
This is like reading like a good espionage novel. You guys are good. You're not spooks or working for "the company" or as we say Christians In Action? I must say those last two pictures don't look anything like each other, teutonictrio. Will this be the next great thing?