996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Poor man's 2WD conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
No I haven't. The worst thing that will happen is you would end up buying new axels to replace the old ones. Give it a shot and see what happens.
Y, watch me

Another question then, do you know anyone who has tried it?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
No, but I have ssen guys try to drno in 2WD and the car shuts down. Now, is that an issue with the sensors not turning in the front or the shaft. Hard to say, give it a shot. That is what I would do.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:38 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
thanks for all the great input guys, i may pull the driveshaft and see how it feels over the weekend. fill you guys in the car when i get back from the shop.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
ChaChing Sweet! New mod for me coming

Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
No, but I have ssen guys try to drno in 2WD and the car shuts down. Now, is that an issue with the sensors not turning in the front or the shaft. Hard to say, give it a shot. That is what I would do.
Weird, havent had that issue!

Old 11-11-2006, 02:35 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Weird, havent had that issue!
I think hes talking about tip cars.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm! might post to see if anyone has ever tried!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
How difficult/expensive is it to fit an LSD?

Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
I think hes talking about tip cars.
Oops, i guess i missed that

Old 11-11-2006, 08:50 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Fitting LSD is not a hard job, just long. The cost is rather high as well. Unless you track the car it is hard to justify this mod.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:01 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Alrighty, here's an update on my RWD conversion:

saturday night, I had sport seats swapped in for my stock seats and had the drive shaft removed for me to test out the car in RWD. Pulling the car out of the tech bay and around the parking lot, I noticed right away that the steering was lighter.

because it is still rear engine, the car still feels a little heavy dragging the weight around, but it felt more nimble at slow speeds around the lot. Onto the freeway on-ramp, I punched the car a little harder than usual to see if I could feel any difference.

It's a strange feeling, but it makes you feel like all 415 horses are behind you pushing you faster and faster without the feeling of only maybe 380 pushing in the back, and the remaining 35 towing you from the front.

Unfortunately, it started raining a bit before I had a chance to push the car around the corners but I did not feel any loss of traction, but keep in mind that since i've only had the car close to a month, i'm not flying around corners. What was very noticible was the car had less tendencies to understeer when you're not on the throttle in the turns.

I will do more driving in the next few days and post any interesting findings, but other than that, I have not seen any negative side effects of going RWD other than the fact that AWD will definitely be better in the rain. Since i'm from southern california, rain shouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:32 AM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Thx for the write up. Looking forward to more. What kind of suspension are you running?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by notquitefob
Alrighty, here's an update on my RWD conversion:

saturday night, I had sport seats swapped in for my stock seats and had the drive shaft removed for me to test out the car in RWD. Pulling the car out of the tech bay and around the parking lot, I noticed right away that the steering was lighter.

because it is still rear engine, the car still feels a little heavy dragging the weight around, but it felt more nimble at slow speeds around the lot. Onto the freeway on-ramp, I punched the car a little harder than usual to see if I could feel any difference.

It's a strange feeling, but it makes you feel like all 415 horses are behind you pushing you faster and faster without the feeling of only maybe 380 pushing in the back, and the remaining 35 towing you from the front.

Unfortunately, it started raining a bit before I had a chance to push the car around the corners but I did not feel any loss of traction, but keep in mind that since i've only had the car close to a month, i'm not flying around corners. What was very noticible was the car had less tendencies to understeer when you're not on the throttle in the turns.

I will do more driving in the next few days and post any interesting findings, but other than that, I have not seen any negative side effects of going RWD other than the fact that AWD will definitely be better in the rain. Since i'm from southern california, rain shouldn't be an issue.
And that's a RWD conversion (somewhat) gone right Congrats!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
is that my car???

Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
You know it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor man's 2WD conversion