996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Safety of GT3 Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
6'0, 225lbs. I have driven over 5 hours non-stop while seated in a GT3 seat, absolutely no complaints.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:40 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
TYSON,

HAVE U LOOKE DINTO BRIDE SEATS? I know that you dont mind putting japanese parts on your 996

im not sure if they carry a carbon fiber seat but i think they do..

here is their us websute

http://tees-usa.com

im thinking of getting a pair of bride seats when i get my s14

one thing i have a problem with buckets is that they are a bit small for me, since im a fat guy , i just found out they make a seat for th heavyset driver like me lol yeah! finally a bucket seat that will fit me yeah ..

next s14, bucket seats and turbo lol

i love being a ricer

Old 04-24-2004, 09:13 PM
NeverFastEnough is on a distinguished road
Sloth...

I am 6'5" and interested in getting GT3 seats for my C4S. Have you had any problem with head or legroom or thigh support?

Old 04-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
GT-3 seats actually feel better the longer you are in them. At first they seem a bit tight, but i think some good anatomical research went into their shape. They force you to keep both arms up and on the wheel due to agressive bucket on the sides. Tall guys shouldn't have much problem as they can be moved back to where I can almost not reach the pedals, and I'm 6 foot. If you are very wide in the back/lats, have a big *** or very wide thighs it may be a problem. I'm sure it's either Porsche NA lawyers or DOT crash-testing certifications that is preventing them from being available here. Since porsche already offers 2 seats, they probably felt it wasn't worth the $ to get them US certified since the overall # of buyers choosing them would be small.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:17 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by teutonictrio
JASCLASS - really? Have you spent any amount of time in them, or was it a quick sit type of thing? I think they look fantastic, and snug as can be, but wonder about anything more than 30 minutes in them...
They are in the Turbo, 5 hour drives, I think thats long enough.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:53 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Yes, Im thinking along those same lines. I dont think it would be good for a daily driver...although I could be wrong?
Bill:

They are extremely comfortable and would be fine for daily driving. They just take a little more effort to get in and out of. After a 3 hour drive I would want to take a break to stretch, but I feel like doing that in regular seats. They are great in the sense that your posture is perfect in the seats. As long as you hip bones are not much greater than 38" you should have not have any trouble. I'm 6'7" with a 38" waist. I love them....

The seats are FIA approved and this can be verified by calling PNA. They are far safer than the stock seats.

Tyson, if you that worried about the severity of a rear endind snapping the seat backs via a truck or something, I would be more concerned about the vehicle coming over the top of the car and crushing the roof...

Old 04-25-2004, 09:08 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Chris,

I think that's definitely one of my next moves. Im just trying to see what other options are out there. Sean had mentioned another brand that is supposedly top notch quality, etc.

I really do love the look and feel of the GT3 seats. I didnt know you had them in your car?

The stock seats are garbage. I definitely need something that gives more support especially on those long trips.

So...who's got the best prices on GT3 seats?

Also...can we reuse the seat heating device for the GT3 seats?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2004, 09:18 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Even if Porsche were to get DOT approval, their product planners probably think Americans are so litigious that they will sue PCNA for back problems due to non adjustabilty ; complain of side bolster wear and want a new seat every year ; loss claim for Beverly Hills girlfriend ripping her $2000 tight dress trying to vault out ; owners who get them dealer installed on 911s with back seats possibly trapping rear occupants in collisions ... etc :

The stock seat is OK but the current " sport seat " is nice to look at but the upper back pinches many in the shoulders and offers no lateral support. . Porsche's 997 non-track " sport seat " should have manual ( via a **** ) seat bottom and seat-back side- bolster width adjustment . Then they can design slightly more aggressive bolsters.

Last edited by MKW; 04-25-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:36 AM
one other question....

Is it possible to get a baby seat in the back with GT3 seats? Im wondering if the clearance after sliding the seat all the way forward would enable me to get a seat back there.

My absolute last case scenario would be to put the baby car seat in the back before mounting the passenger seat.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:30 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by BCS996TT
one other question....

Is it possible to get a baby seat in the back with GT3 seats? Im wondering if the clearance after sliding the seat all the way forward would enable me to get a seat back there.

My absolute last case scenario would be to put the baby car seat in the back before mounting the passenger seat.
The baby seat might be tough to fit in with the passenger seat all the way forward...I have no experience with babies yet at this point in my life...

Anyways, Bd. Sponsor, Foreign Affairs has the best pricing for GT3 seats...

http://www.2fam.com/

Old 04-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill, one other thing when considering other seats...The GT3 seats come with the factory sliders, so it's an easy swap out for unbolting the stock seats and bolting in the new GT3 seats. Check out my install gallery in my sig, I have the how to for GT3 seats install..

Old 04-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by rockitman
Bill, one other thing when considering other seats...The GT3 seats come with the factory sliders, so it's an easy swap out for unbolting the stock seats and bolting in the new GT3 seats. Check out my install gallery in my sig, I have the how to for GT3 seats install..
Chris,

Thanks...that definitely does make a difference in the decision process.

Anyone know about the heating element and whether or not it can be used with the GT3 seats?

Old 04-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I love these seats and they weigh only around 20 something pounds each. They are actually very comfy, but a bit of a PITA to get in out out of.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2004, 07:19 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The GT3 seats are made by Recaro. The Pole Position seats are also made by Recaro. The two seats are identical except for the top section wherein the harness holes and finishing is treated differently. THe GT3 seats are a direct bolt in without any problems. Any other seats, Recaro or otherwise, will require a set of sliders and brackets. The sliders do as they suggest and the brackets adapt the standardized sliders to the specific bolt pattern of the car they will be used in. I believe Cargraphics has a set of leather Pole Positions they want to ship quickly.

From the standpoint of performance, the GT3 seats are excellent. I have pressed the car in severe slides and found myself one with the car. The drawbacks are that the seat padding is far less than the stock seats and it compresses under my 210 pounds. I have developed a sore butt on long drives. I tend to think the heavier you are, the less comfortable you will be with these. Addditionally, since there isn't any space for air circulation within the seat cavity, I find myself getting hot when I normally wouldn't.

From a safety perspective, a rear end collision will produce upward shearing forces of the seat shell on the front mounting bolts. I would tend to think that is the weak link and realizing the seat shell curves further under the bolts to produce the seat pan, it appears to be a non-issue for me from a conceptual standpoint.....FIA certification aside. Additionally, one would tend to install a rollbar behind the seats to install a harness....in general. If this is the case, given a 6'-0" + tall person, there is literally no space behind the seat in front of the rollbar. You essentially have a seatback brace built in.

From a baby seat perspective, forget it. I cannot even fit my camera bag, understandable larger than most, between the seatback and the door jamb. Even if you fit the baby seat in first, getting the baby in will be next to impossible not to mention a panic situation wherein you have to quickly extract the youngin'.

In my humble opinion, just knowing the little I know of the two interested parties here, Tyson and Bill, I would tend to recommend the GT3 seat for Tyson (as long as the long drive butt discomfort can be lived with) and a Recaro SRD or equal for Bill. The SRD is a fully reclining and hinging forward seat available in many coverings, that provides large side bolsters on the seat and seatback. This would provide 80% of the lateral restraint while still allowing babyseat access.

Hope this opinion helps.

Incidentally, the factory sport seats (no fore/aft sliding motor) weigh 48 pounds each. The GT3 seats weigh 28 pounds each. Yes, I weighed them.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Paul S-in TX is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by KPV
The drawbacks are that the seat padding is far less than the stock seats and it compresses under my 210 pounds. I have developed a sore butt on long drives.
I agree on the long drive/butt comfort issue--I actually sit on a small pillow with my GT3 seats for the 3+ hr. drive from Dallas to Texas World Speedway in College Station for that reason. I guess it depends on if you have a fat (not me) or boney (me) butt.

Normal every day driving, they're perfect once you get the hang of getting in and out--I did, however, laugh at my wife two nights ago as she struggled to get out of the Turbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Safety of GT3 Seats