996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU upgrade time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Dirty Mac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
UMW is great like KPG states....
In ur case, however, since u have the k24s already.... I would use Protomotive since you can upgrade to the k24/18s turbos for a fraction of the price... and have lethal turbos....
just my opinion...
markski
What are K24/18s?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
What are K24/18s?
They are Protomotive hybrid turbos utilizing k24s with 18g Misubishi compressors... these are the same ones Divirextreme has on his Proto car when he ran the 10.6 1/4 run at 136. mph...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I am sure there are some differences in aftermarket DV's. I understand most anything is safer/better than the stock plastic units. I suggest talking to which ever tuner you go with for the ecu and see what they advise. Mine came from Protomotive as did the ECU, K24/18 hybrid turbo's with WG's, 5 bar.FPR, and Greddy boost controller. Who ever you choose you should feel as if you are in a different car. Mine is nght and day over the stock X50 package.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
DM, hope ya get it done before the Sebring winterfest event!! I am pretty sure your car has 100 cell cat with the exhaust, so you are fine there.
Need to check the records of the car. You probably are going to want to go with upgraded diverters just to be able to handle the extra boost pressure so you dont loose any. Also as fast as you are at the track you dont want some of the more common weak points of the car still there so DV's are in the near future.
Also, to help hold boost ( and also cost effective) I went with the EVO waste gate upgrade, this also maximizes holding boost down the back straight at Sebring!!
Not to overload you but another thing that I did and you can "consider" is upgrading your turbo boost hoses to the high pressure silicon variety (red of course) Because again at the track with the new ECU flash and added boost you dont want to "blow a hose", so I recommend that as well.
All of the above are interconnected and my BIGGEST concern is failure at the track (of the car of course!)
Now get those brakes bled and I'll see ya next week!!! tom

Old 01-14-2007, 12:32 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
They are Protomotive hybrid turbos utilizing k24s with 18g Misubishi compressors... these are the same ones Divirextreme has on his Proto car when he ran the 10.6 1/4 run at 136. mph...
markski
Same turbos, but the 700 kit...not entry level. Mark is right though that these turbos can be brought up to the next level. There are no 1/4 numbers available for the entry level 24/18G's to make any comparison. The only time I have seen was 12 at 124mph...Kevin

Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Dirty Mac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tom kerr
DM, hope ya get it done before the Sebring winterfest event!! I am pretty sure your car has 100 cell cat with the exhaust, so you are fine there.
Need to check the records of the car. You probably are going to want to go with upgraded diverters just to be able to handle the extra boost pressure so you dont loose any. Also as fast as you are at the track you dont want some of the more common weak points of the car still there so DV's are in the near future.
Also, to help hold boost ( and also cost effective) I went with the EVO waste gate upgrade, this also maximizes holding boost down the back straight at Sebring!!
Not to overload you but another thing that I did and you can "consider" is upgrading your turbo boost hoses to the high pressure silicon variety (red of course) Because again at the track with the new ECU flash and added boost you dont want to "blow a hose", so I recommend that as well.
All of the above are interconnected and my BIGGEST concern is failure at the track (of the car of course!)
Now get those brakes bled and I'll see ya next week!!! tom
Given that we'll be heading up to Sebring in less than a week I think I'll have to wait till I return to do all these upgrades. My goal will be to have it ready by the time I go to the two day Homestead track day in February. God this is fun.
RED hoses? They don't have yellow?

Failure at the track is definitely something I want to avoid especially considering we drive are cars to the track. It's a long walk back home.

Will you be on the track at the same time as me or do they run us at different times? Will I be driving solo or do they have have the same set up as PCA? Are you an instructor with PBOC too? 6 days and counting.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
What do you mean when you say that I will never have to take out the ECU? Do they send me the flash equipment?
Yes, Kevin includes the flashloader....but the difference his will read your original program (with security codes) through the diagnostic port. Everybody else has to access the ECU directly....pretty slick.

I'm trying to decide between GIAC and UMW right now. GIAC has the most cars out there, is very well respected, and offers full credit on programming costs when doing future upgrades. Kevin provides $1000 credit towards future upgrades.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
All the above options are good. You won't make a mistake with going to anyone of the tuners mentioned by the guys. One thing that would really make a difference on the track is getting coilovers and a performance Alignment. The improvment would outweigh the boost IMHO.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shark01
GIAC has the most cars out there, is very well respected, and offers full credit on programming costs when doing future upgrades. Kevin provides $1000 credit towards future upgrades.
Im not going to speculate about other tuner upgrades.. I do know however that it is at least $1000 if not more in each case....
just so you know.. Protomotive only charges $365 for future ecu upgrades ...
and the real difference is that it includes a custom tune as well if you drop the car off to them... now that is a steal...
markski

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-14-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
I will throw in another mention of Orton Performance. Neil is doing some very impressive things and he has worked with me on three of my cars and I have always been very impressed. You can check him out at www.ortonusa.com.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
JWC
Thanks for that little nuggett Markski! AS you know I have the Protomotive ECU and I didn't know it was only $365.00 for up grades. What should I do next.....hmmmmm. Things that MAKE you go Hmmmmmm.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
john... I told you but you were like a little kid in a candy store... LOL

click to view

Old 01-14-2007, 04:50 PM
JWC
You got all that right! I think I am getting HUNGRY again. I have a problem.....I am a MODWHORE! And you aren't any help with your 871 rwhp self LOL

Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
LOL.... take ur time enjoy ur car.... good things come to those who wait....

click to view

Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 PM
JWC
I am I am. Hey it was 70 or so today here in VA and I just got back from a long drive, washed the car, and put it away.... until tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU upgrade time