6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Roll Control (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/71908-roll-control.html)

r1rb 02-02-2007 11:56 AM

Roll Control

I hate being stuck on a steep hill, especially when someone pulls up very close behind me. I read about a Hurst Line Lock/roll control that is designed for drag racers but also is used as a "hill holder" for street use.

Any comments on this part?? Would it work on a TT to prevent any rollback on a hill?

tom kerr 02-02-2007 12:09 PM

I have to admit we all have this feeling to some extent. this feature is actually built into some OEM cars. But really think with practice and experience driving a stick this should not be a problem.
So dont know if the part you mention would really be worth it? tom

The Pun 02-02-2007 12:20 PM

I got line SLP Line Locks on my Cobra but mostly use them on the track for burnouts. However I sometimes am too lazy to use the ebrake and have used the LL in my driveway.

I doubt it is worth doing just for hills...

CarNerd 02-02-2007 12:46 PM

I learned a different type of heel toe, where i can roll off the brake and on to the gas simultaneously preventing any type of roll back. Although, this may only be possible in my g35 with the way the pedals are set up.

iLLM3 02-02-2007 12:58 PM

Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?! I cant believe people need line locks or w/e these things are lol!

I use to get nervous yearrrrs ago, but now driving manual is like auto! Have you tried the ebrake? I have never tried that but people do it, you wont have to spend any money!

r1rb 02-02-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?! I cant believe people need line locks or w/e these things are lol!

I use to get nervous yearrrrs ago, but now driving manual is like auto! Have you tried the ebrake? I have never tried that but people do it, you wont have to spend any money!

I have always heard you should never hold the car with the clutch because it will burn out the clutch very quickly. Correct??

iLLM3 02-02-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by r1rb
I have always heard you should never hold the car with the clutch because it will burn out the clutch very quickly. Correct??

Not true at all! If you are giving gas and rocking back and forth or letting the clutch slip while heavy on throttle yes you are burning it. Fact of the matter is, you dont even need to use gas to engage and start rolling into 1st gear, i do it all of the time without using any gas, and its just as good if not better for the clutch! I let the clutch up half way at its threshold/midpoint where it keeps the car steady without any gas, then lightly give gas and im in first already, flat land/hill wherever!

Turbo Ron 02-02-2007 01:40 PM

Holding the car steady on a hill in gear, is definently wearing on the clutch.

ZLP 02-02-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Ron
Holding the car steady on a hill in gear, is definently wearing on the clutch.

+1, You are killing your clutch ILL

iLLM3 02-02-2007 01:45 PM

Are you guys kidding? Not one of my clutches have ever went on me, ever!

I never get a clutch burning smell, EVER, if you guys saw the technique its as smooth as anything. Some people gas it up then let the clutch out, like launching to get up the hill LOL! I didnt say im holding the whole time on the hill, but i use same technique whenever i engage into gear, and its as smooth as anything! I bring it up as i always would slowly till you feel it catch then minor gas and you are in gear, its not hard to comprehend!

Believe me, if you sit from a dead top on flat surface and bring the clutch up like you would do normally but SLOW, you feel and see the car catch and engage into gear without any gas, its meant to do this !

I think there is a serious mis-communication!

jenk12m 02-02-2007 02:03 PM

line lock is defintely not needed

Al Norton 02-02-2007 08:38 PM

Emergency brake is there at no additional cost. Just use it if needed. Easy to develop the proper rhythm of releasing clutch with some throttle and then let the E-brake off.

Turbo Ron 02-02-2007 10:44 PM

+1 for Al Norton

ringmaster 02-02-2007 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?!

Very bad idea. If you understood how the clutch and flywheel work together you would never do this to a car! There is NO QUESTION you are adding wear to all the components involved! Hey, it's your clutch and your money :p

MrBlonde 02-03-2007 12:34 AM

Just learn clutch control and forget a line locker. Also riding the clutch is bad for a car, don't do it.