996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Roll Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
r1rb is on a distinguished road
Roll Control

I hate being stuck on a steep hill, especially when someone pulls up very close behind me. I read about a Hurst Line Lock/roll control that is designed for drag racers but also is used as a "hill holder" for street use.

Any comments on this part?? Would it work on a TT to prevent any rollback on a hill?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I have to admit we all have this feeling to some extent. this feature is actually built into some OEM cars. But really think with practice and experience driving a stick this should not be a problem.
So dont know if the part you mention would really be worth it? tom

Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
The Pun
I got line SLP Line Locks on my Cobra but mostly use them on the track for burnouts. However I sometimes am too lazy to use the ebrake and have used the LL in my driveway.

I doubt it is worth doing just for hills...

Old 02-02-2007, 12:46 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
I learned a different type of heel toe, where i can roll off the brake and on to the gas simultaneously preventing any type of roll back. Although, this may only be possible in my g35 with the way the pedals are set up.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:58 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?! I cant believe people need line locks or w/e these things are lol!

I use to get nervous yearrrrs ago, but now driving manual is like auto! Have you tried the ebrake? I have never tried that but people do it, you wont have to spend any money!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
r1rb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?! I cant believe people need line locks or w/e these things are lol!

I use to get nervous yearrrrs ago, but now driving manual is like auto! Have you tried the ebrake? I have never tried that but people do it, you wont have to spend any money!
I have always heard you should never hold the car with the clutch because it will burn out the clutch very quickly. Correct??

Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by r1rb
I have always heard you should never hold the car with the clutch because it will burn out the clutch very quickly. Correct??
Not true at all! If you are giving gas and rocking back and forth or letting the clutch slip while heavy on throttle yes you are burning it. Fact of the matter is, you dont even need to use gas to engage and start rolling into 1st gear, i do it all of the time without using any gas, and its just as good if not better for the clutch! I let the clutch up half way at its threshold/midpoint where it keeps the car steady without any gas, then lightly give gas and im in first already, flat land/hill wherever!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Holding the car steady on a hill in gear, is definently wearing on the clutch.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Turbo Ron
Holding the car steady on a hill in gear, is definently wearing on the clutch.
+1, You are killing your clutch ILL

Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Are you guys kidding? Not one of my clutches have ever went on me, ever!

I never get a clutch burning smell, EVER, if you guys saw the technique its as smooth as anything. Some people gas it up then let the clutch out, like launching to get up the hill LOL! I didnt say im holding the whole time on the hill, but i use same technique whenever i engage into gear, and its as smooth as anything! I bring it up as i always would slowly till you feel it catch then minor gas and you are in gear, its not hard to comprehend!

Believe me, if you sit from a dead top on flat surface and bring the clutch up like you would do normally but SLOW, you feel and see the car catch and engage into gear without any gas, its meant to do this !

I think there is a serious mis-communication!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
line lock is defintely not needed

Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Emergency brake is there at no additional cost. Just use it if needed. Easy to develop the proper rhythm of releasing clutch with some throttle and then let the E-brake off.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
+1 for Al Norton

Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 PM
ringmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ive been on some STEEP hills and i still can hold the clutch halfway up with a little gas and keep it steady, its so easy?!
Very bad idea. If you understood how the clutch and flywheel work together you would never do this to a car! There is NO QUESTION you are adding wear to all the components involved! Hey, it's your clutch and your money

Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Just learn clutch control and forget a line locker. Also riding the clutch is bad for a car, don't do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roll Control