996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Garage door opener?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 02:00 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
do the kirby mod guys.. it looks stock, works fantastic and only costs 40 bux...

Old 06-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Cody_1 will become famous soon enough
Kirby mod looks awesome. Will most likely be my father's day present to myself. :-)

Here is a MAJOR newbie question for you though - best way to pull out the rear center console switch assembly? Do you just remove the two torx screws under the ashtray?

Thanks..........Rich

Old 06-06-2004, 05:31 AM
JK996TT is on a distinguished road
Rich,

Go to this link...there is a PDF that shows an exploded view of the entire console assembly. Your answer is there (it is just the 2 torx screws.)

http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm

Good luck!

JK

Old 06-06-2004, 05:32 AM
Old 06-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
JK996TT

Let me know how yours turns out. Glad I could help.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 PM
dmilzoff is on a distinguished road
I installed two switches (left switch for left garage door, right switch for right) in the console. I bought a new two door opening on-line. (One opener with two buttons.) Just do a search and buy one for your brand opener. It came out great - looks original. You Can get switches with shiny Or flat finish. You must get a switch with momentary contacts. I used door switches )with the key logo).
Try these two sites for install help:
http://www.brackenrig.net/Garage%20Opener%20Hack.htm
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albur29

Old 06-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
David

You can do two openers on one switch.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Yes, you can do two openers on one switch but there are two blank switches on the console, and I thought that I would always be opening the wrong garage door if I used one switch.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:21 AM
You guys on here are awesome. This site has been a huge help in so many ways!

Old 06-07-2004, 02:19 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Do any of you guys have the part number for one of those switches for the center console that is a standard on/off toggle type of switch? Looking to set up a manual power switch using the stock switches. That's a clean sano set up.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 PM
I have tried a number of switches. They all seem to be momentary contact. All of the switches which I have tired must go through a relay or electronic timer circuit to limit amps through the switch. My dealer was of no help.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:18 PM
The switches I use are momentary contact, but do not need to go through a relay or anything???

Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
No. You want a momentary contact switch.
You can power the garage remote with 12 volts from the car (if the remote is 12 volt), or you can do as I did and just use the momentary switch to activate the remote and use a battery in the remote for power (easier).

Old 06-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Cody_1 will become famous soon enough
Did the garage door mod this weekend - works great, and was very easy.

Ordered and subsequently used the targa top switch ($30) and made sure to hook up the wiring so that the switch is illuminated - spliced into the wiring for the ashtray light.

My best (and first) mod!

- Rich

Old 06-22-2004, 12:57 AM
I did it a little differently this Saturday. I used the mod for the "dead" plate next to the headlamp switch. I inserted the opener into the area behind the plate and attached to left side of dash w/ "super velcro". Works like a charm! I will probably move it to the console when (and if) I get the CF vents. Thanks for everyone's help on here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener?