996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are coil-overs really needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
O-Ace will become famous soon enough
Are coil-overs really needed?

So my car is in the shop getting the Protomotive K24/18G setup. I don't plan on tracking the car, but will be doing highway runs, etc. Do I really need a set of coil-overs on the car? Is there any more cost-effective option to improve the handling/ride?

Appreciate your input.

-Awais

Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
AIRjordan23 is on a distinguished road
i can only compare stock to my jic cross suspension.

look:
stock was too high (car looked bad).
coilovers- you can set it to whatever hight you want. car looks wayyy better and way sportier.

performance-
night and day diffrence. stock was very soft and gave me a feel of absolutely no control.

with jic cross setup set to medium softness, the car rides way better in terms of comfort. In addition with the gt3 rear sway bar, cars turns in response is more accurate, and all the bounciness and bodyroll are reduced.
car is so much more fun and exciting to drive.

with my k16's i feel like the stock suspension was horrible. if i floored 1st or 2nd the nose of the car would raise high due to the bouncy spring/shock setup. i can only image with your new protomotive setup how the car will react. i personally think that you will have so much power, but wont be able to utilize it all with the stock suspension.

i would highly recommend coilovers.
vipertestarosa from nj installed mine and did an excellend job.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
If you dont want to bounce back and forth from gear shifting I would upgrade. For street cant beat Bilstien Pss9(if your not oging lower then gt2 spec). H&R ride is ok also if you dont slam it super low. GL very worthy upgrade man! Youll love how GO Karty your car becomes. Easily throwable especially on the highway!

-Suman

Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 PM
MikeR will become famous soon enough
The coilovers will make the car so much better, in handling and ride, you should do it regardless if its necessary or not. I was hesitant at first, but glad I did it. No more bouncing down the highway, which I always disliked. In the canyons and corners the car just hugs the road. Plus the lower height looks much nicer.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
awais, u can drive my car and see for urself...

mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
100 Percent worth it...

Just go for some PSS9s or H&R PCS coilovers if you dont want to get serious but want a bit better performance and way better looks...

Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I raised my Pss9s to about an 1" lower than stock and am very happy with the setup.

The guys at Speed Gallery recommended and performed some alignment in terms of front camber and toe at the same time. The car drives much better. Going too low on Pss9s is not good for handling.

If you want to really lower your car, I would look for a threaded shock body as well as hight adjustment perches for the springs. I believe the JIC and Motons allow for this. Otherwise you will bottom out.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Drew,

Who did you have do your suspension work? Someone local?

Old 02-23-2007, 11:34 PM
O-Ace will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
awais, u can drive my car and see for urself...

mark
I'll take you up on that offer...in low boost ofcourse

Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
One of the most important/fun and rewarding upgrades on ANY car, especially the turbo

Old 02-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Correctly matched dampers and springs " Coil Overs " will improve the handling , ride and comfort of the vehicle. You need to find someone who knows what they are doing in your area.

Just putting coil overs on the car wont necaserily resolve your problems, when you lower a vehicle you need to address the changed suspension geometry and changed roll center.

There is a little more to it than just slapping on some threaded body dampers with stiff springs.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:26 AM
willcoxmd will become famous soon enoughwillcoxmd will become famous soon enough
I would echo what everyone else is saying. I don't track my car either, but I love my JIC Cross suspension. It really changes the way the car looks and feels. One of my favorite mods to date.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Awais has a great guy that can do the Job... Sol has been doing cup cars for 23 years.... he just did my JICs and all the solid subframe mounts... along with upper/lower control arms... he knows his stuff. He even does Bump steer let alone corner balancing...

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 AM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Coilovers - are definitely both the most effective & cost effective way to improve handling from the start. Paying for a second install & alignment isn't alot a fun either.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:20 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
They are worth it on stock cars let alone modified ones.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are coil-overs really needed?