996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to adjust Wastegate rods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
I think if you set the actuator to start opening at 1.2 bar, you will over shoot. If 1.2 bar is your boost target, the rods need to be moving just before that so that the WG is fully open at 1.2 bar. ...
The actuators need to be set to start moving the WG at 12psi, not 1.2 bar.

You can make a nice little tester out of a cheap bicycle pump, a boost gauge, some hose and T fittings. It's super important that the actuators are setup equally, that's why you have to do it with a pressure tester.

Last edited by Bodybag; 02-25-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Dietz is infamous around these parts
Nice concepts - like balancing carburators - you need them in sync. Very innovative. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Rturbo is infamous around these parts
Snap-on has a pressure pump kit and you also need their vacuum pressure gauge set with pressure and vacuum to make it correct. My ruf 550 is set for 0,5bar to open.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?Group_ID=1421

Good luck

Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rwm514
How does overboosting lead to fouled plugs?
I'm pretty sure it's the lean condition thats caused.

Seth

Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John D II
Well I never got around to actually using it - my tech did it for me. Yes, it is connected to a compressor and then the outlet end is connected to the wastegate. Next slowly squeeze the trigger and watch the pressure rise. There is a measurement that Stephen gave me (approx 12-14 Lbs -I forget) and when it reaches that pressure, you want the rod to begin to move. You would adjust the nut forward or back to get it right. Once one side is done you do the same to the opposite side. When complete you should be able to connect to either side, supply pressure and see the rod begin to move at the same presure on both sides. This would mean the wastegates are equally adjusted.
So, the rods pretention the wasgate? I'm going to get someone smart to do this, I can't get my car high enough to try this myself in my garage.

Seth

Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Slightly OT.

Has anyone tried to shim their existing wastegate actuators? On some turbo cars, you can put a couple of washers under the mounting points for the actuator to the turbo to create more tension on the wastegate. Voila - free boost...

Old 03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned
blakshukvw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bodybag
Do it with a pressure tester. There is no way to accurately and evenly adjust them without using a pressure tester.

Once you've got a tester and are ready to adjust them, set them up so that the watesgate begins to crack once they hit 12psi. That'll keep you from overboosting and have the boost set to a safe 1.2 max.

Adjusting rod length with the number of turns method will get you close, but you need to do the final adjustment with a pressure tester.
Bodybag, when do you have time to drive all of those sweat rides? You need to post them in the new 997TT forum that's going. I think it's titled "are you a baller".

Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Slightly OT.

Has anyone tried to shim their existing wastegate actuators? On some turbo cars, you can put a couple of washers under the mounting points for the actuator to the turbo to create more tension on the wastegate. Voila - free boost...
Same result as lengthening the rods. I suppose that with identical thickness washers it would make balancing the turbos foolproof.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The TT doesn't need shimming, it already comes with an adjustable actuator rod. The issue is the the factory spring is too soft and will blow open with exhaust pressure when running anything over 1.0 BAR boost?

Slightly OT.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
It does? Shows you how much I've looked at it lol.

So a couple of turns and I should be at 1bar huh? Sweet. What's the benefit of the EVO adjustable "1 bar" actuators then? They start there and are a bit stiffer so you can go over?

Anyone have pics (my car is at the dealer for warranty work)?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by blakshukvw
Bodybag, when do you have time to drive all of those sweat rides? You need to post them in the new 997TT forum that's going. I think it's titled "are you a baller".
I'm not a baller, just a dedicated car guy.

I made a deal with myself back in '92 not to sell one car to get another, you know, the old stepping stone routine. I've stayed very true to my own rule since then, with the exception of selling my 993TT and trading up to a 996 GT2. I will admit that it's been difficult at times to add a "new toy" without selling an old one, but in the long run it has paid off HUGE.

I keep 2 of them at home (plus my pickup truck), and the rest at my office. I'll have each one home for a couple weeks and drive it regularly while it's there. Then, I'll drive one to my office and switch it for another that will stay at the house for a few weeks, and so on. Some I drive more often than others, but I'd say each of them gets at least 1000 miles a year.

I actually own a few more, plus half a s**t load of old motorcycles, but my sig was getting too big

Last edited by Bodybag; 03-21-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
It does? Shows you how much I've looked at it lol.

So a couple of turns and I should be at 1bar huh? Sweet. What's the benefit of the EVO adjustable "1 bar" actuators then? They start there and are a bit stiffer so you can go over?

Anyone have pics (my car is at the dealer for warranty work)?
The advantage is being able to get beyond 1 bar. Also, you can adjust the gates to open "late" which will give you A LOT more boost in low RPM's with less throttle.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
I set mine (evo) so that the WG's start to move(.002") at 11.75 lbs, this gives me 1.3 bar. And the boost comes in a whole bunch quicker. This is a good mod for little cost. BTW the factory WG was set to move at 7 psi.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
I was just having the same problem earlier today and was going to start a new thread. Thanks to who ever brought this back up.

Last edited by Indykid; 03-22-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
is there any benefit of tightening up the waste gates in a K16 car? I already boost 0.9bar with occasional spikes to 1.1. Would there be less lag?

Thanks

Sameer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to adjust Wastegate rods?