996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Air conditioning =more horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sean,
Honestly I'd brake boost in 4th gear because regardless your goign to lose a little bit of time having to shift. You make enough power where when its in boost it will not really matter that your in a lower RPM.

LOL about the your side of the family comment LOL!!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
OT: I am picking up my Cayenne TT tomorrow: My wife and I went to the hospital yesterday and found out (5 months preggo) that we are having a boy!

The Ultrasound tech highlighted his ********* (wench said "see those tiny things") and I said "must be from your side of the family, sweetie."
1. Congrats on the boy! No girl problems to deal with, and a buddy to with cars!

2. Congrats on the CTT!

3. I hope your son doesn't look at this in 15 years and see the first thing you ever said about was that he had small *****.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
keep hitting minus haha GL

Originally Posted by jimq
I havent figured out how to turn the darn air off in mine yet

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
You guys have clearly never driven any slow cars That has been the case for every car I've ever driven with AC. In many sub-200 hp cars on a hot summer day, you can actually feel the difference if you turn it off while accelerating. Nothing unique for the GT2/TT.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I could feel it in my stock Mustang GT and in my G35 (which makes about 350 to the crank)

Old 03-03-2007, 04:11 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
On both of my previous DSMs, one of the mods I did was to remove the AC entirely once I had the engine out - compressor, condenser, lines, belts. Made a noticible difference in acceleration with less drag from the belts and the weight savings. Too bad they were both black with black leather. Summertimes were a biotch.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I did not know this but I ALWAYS run my windows up and AIR ON at the
track!! Basking in the comfort of the world's greatest all around sports car!!

MK
Windows up at the track?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:46 PM
ANUBIS is on a distinguished road
hmmm... I heard the opposite. The AC takes about 2-3 hp.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Considering that the AC switches off durning WOT and then turns back on it would not use any HP overall at that point. I have dynoed the cars with the AC on and off and the numbers do not change for this reason. One can assume that the cooler fuel would help cool the back of the valve faster under a long run. We use to do this when we were broke building high CR engines. We would dump lots of fuel not for the fuel but for the colling effect on the back of the valve.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Dietz is on a distinguished road
I would think that the parasitic losses from running the compressor outweight the gains from cooling, no?

I mean, if you look at the system, this is a zero sum game. You can't gain energy, just move it around.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Not really. The container is rather large so unless you have a volume drop or a pressure drop then you would gain more by cooling the valve.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:53 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Not really. The container is rather large so unless you have a volume drop or a pressure drop then you would gain more by cooling the valve.
If that is true, where is your horsepower gain on the dyno. You already posted that it makes no difference. I agree that cooler gas is beneficial, but running the A/C is not a way to do it to gain power.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 AM
You are taking my post out of context. My point was it does not subtract any HP because it switches off at WOT. I have not run a test specifically with the AC off for a series of prolong runs and therefore have incomplete data. Meaning the unit should remain off for all the runs, idling, etc. I can run that test if anyone REALLY wants to know. It is built in the car so I doubt anyone would remove it.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 03-04-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
What about using "Air Conditioning Technology" in a more direct means to cool intake temps? Like piping AC lines through your intercoolers for example?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the boy buddy, btw PS2's should be fine once warmed up, they stick amazingly well for street performance tires , goodluck at the track and be safe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning =more horsepower