996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Great News - New Bolt On GT28 Turbos from Tial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Fast? That's an understatement. From the start line you can see the DOWNHILL slope, it's that noticable! And watch out after the traps, you have to get on the brakes FAST.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Joe we def. need too, i need to upgrade some things to "keep up" LOL

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
I just might my friend.I hear from my friends on the CF Forum that track is fast.......and a little below sea level......we should see some good times there!If its back by then I will let you know .
It's 80' above sea level and normally prepped well. Would love to see there, Joe.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Fast? That's an understatement. From the start line you can see the DOWNHILL slope, it's that noticable! And watch out after the traps, you have to get on the brakes FAST.
It's slightly uphill, then slightly down. Ends up being even at the end. But yes...you have to brake hard after the traps!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-11-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Joe we def. need too, i need to upgrade some things to "keep up" LOL
Yeah right ,your car is no slouch either.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
I just might my friend.I hear from my friends on the CF Forum that track is fast.......and a little below sea level......we should see some good times there!If its back by then I will let you know .
Joe, keep me posted! We should have a meet.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Former Vendor
Nate@EVO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ari
In the end all you need is a hose kit, fuel kit, the right turbos and a flash with (recommended) intercoolers and a maybe a plenum.

Time will tell if these turbos are really the exclusive property of EVO and their dealers. Seems to me that a garret GT28 ball bearing turbo is just that.

While I would never try tuning my own car, I have personally seen a few people fine tune their own mustangs and supras on a dyno using baseline programs. A friend of mine went from 360 RWHP to 395 by simply lowering toyota's ultra conservative A/F mixture to an acceptable level. The car ran great for tens of thousands of miles. To tune a car from scratch is not easy, but playing with A/F ratios and making small timing changes are possible for a knowledgeable mechanic, tuner or even hobbyist.
I would not recommend anyone just installing these turbos unless they have the ability to completely retune more than just air fuel and timing. This is the reason we have not sold these turbos without the rest of our tuned system. We have been asked many times to sell the turbos alone, but we have not because of the posible repercussions from someone installing them without proper associated components and properly tuned software. We spent over 6 months in 2003 tuning different turbo systems with these turbos and it is not as easy as it is being described.

This turbo is more than just a GT28 turbo. 4 years ago we worked with Tial to make a direct replacement turbo that was a "bolt-on" turbo to replace the OEM K16 or K24 turbo. A "GT28" turbo will not bolt on and will require special headers, exhaust, oil drain tanks, oil inlets, boost outlet adapters and air inlet modifications.

We have 4 years invested into the successful use and distribution of these turbos. They are not new except for the fact that our GEN 2 turbo will have a proprietary turbine housing which will eliminate the need to build this turbo from KKK turbine housings like we have had to do for the last 4 years. The new housing will eliminate any core exchange program that we have had in the past and make the whole process easier for our dealers and ultimately the end user.

I have not bashed vivid, I have just merely stated some facts regarding a product that they are offering that they may not have all of the information regarding the distribution. They may not be aware of this; however I am aware of the arrangement with Tial. Additionally, I am pointing out that this is not new technology as these are the same turbos we have used in our GT700 tuning systems since 2003. Peace

Last edited by Nate@EVO; 03-11-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 AM
sy996tt will become famous soon enoughsy996tt will become famous soon enough
id like to know what cars vivid has tuned? to use these turbos they can get?

Last edited by sy996tt; 03-12-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
What turbos exactly are used in your GT800 kits?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor
Nate@EVO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by robmd99
What turbos exactly are used in your GT800 kits?
We use a custom "GT30" base turbo. There are 4 main GT30's in this family which allows us countless different combinations of turbine and compressor combinations to maximize each specific application.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks can you pm the four different comibinations.. i appreciate your time
robert

Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 AM
FL TT is an unknown quantity at this point
any updates on this?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Craig

"Tuning can be done by anyone"? Anyone? Can my local Pep Boys do it? Speaking from experience, I respectfully disagree. There are very few competent programmers for 996TT ECUs. Having properly matched software is everything! Moreover, the software must not only be matched to the specific characteristics of the turbos, but also the other components, including the fuel system in particular. I have been down this road before, trying to have software created for turbos that I purchased without existing software. It certainly can be done, but NOT by “anyone,” and the process can be very difficult, time consuming and expensive.

Craig
I have to say that 99.9% of the people with these cars have any idea on how to properly moddify a car. Most everyone on this board fixes the problem with tons of money. The tuners that do know what they are talking about at some level have a 500% markup but thats fine because people pay it. Honestly this community should hide in a shadow and cry for forgivness from any car enthusiest for the money wasted. Just take a look at the top 1/4 and trapspeed thread it is a joke. Its not even like your working with a motor that is hard to get power from.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fishey
I have to say that 99.9% of the people with these cars have any idea on how to properly moddify a car. Most everyone on this board fixes the problem with tons of money. The tuners that do know what they are talking about at some level have a 500% markup but thats fine because people pay it. Honestly this community should hide in a shadow and cry for forgivness from any car enthusiest for the money wasted. Just take a look at the top 1/4 and trapspeed thread it is a joke. Its not even like your working with a motor that is hard to get power from.
Well, at least you waited til your 4th post to educate all of us.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fishey
Honestly this community should hide in a shadow and cry for forgivness from any car enthusiest for the money wasted. Just take a look at the top 1/4 and trapspeed thread it is a joke. Its not even like your working with a motor that is hard to get power from.
Sorry to come at you like this.. but do you have any idea what your talking about?
I and a few others are producing 900 whp at 1.5 bars of boost( unlike the supras that run 40+ psi). If you dont't think our engines are producing HP then you are in your own world my friend. I trapped( in my street legal 996tt) 119+ mph in a 1/8th at 1.24 bars of boost. If that is not speed then I dont know what is. And I can still go to my local grocery store, church, and even go on a cross country trip. Sure there is always something faster... but for you to make a mockery out of a our traps is simply ignorant. It just proves that you do not have a Turbo Porsche. Get one... tune one... then come back and lets talk.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Great News - New Bolt On GT28 Turbos from Tial