996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
No issues as of yet. Car is superb in hot and cold weather, new and old spark plugs....great mod.

Thanks everyone for going along for the ride. Of course I would love an EP or such, but for <$50 for more sound and HP/Torque...no brainer.

JB

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Arling at Lucent mentioned this trick to me a few weeks ago.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 AM
rosesplus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
No issues as of yet. Car is superb in hot and cold weather, new and old spark plugs....great mod.

Thanks everyone for going along for the ride. Of course I would love an EP or such, but for <$50 for more sound and HP/Torque...no brainer.

JB
I agree JB, this mod is great, I love it as much as my SSK. Anybody who is contemplating buying an after market exhaust should try this mod 1st!!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 AM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Wow

this thread is still going

tw

Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
TT Tommy...guy offered me 900 for my exhaust on the spot today...loved the sound.

Still going.

:-)

Old 01-02-2008, 11:27 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
No regrets a wonderful simple mod but don't drill, use the blow torch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
TT Tommy...guy offered me 900 for my exhaust on the spot today...loved the sound.

Still going.

:-)

Have him call me, I have two of them sitting here for $400 each.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Zuma 911
Have him call me, I have two of them sitting here for $400 each.

He is now a happy person.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by RichardCH
No regrets a wonderful simple mod but don't drill, use the blow torch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi.

How are things for you? Given you had at leat one expensive aftermarket unit....what are your thought on the TJW mod. Most of us (me included) that spend $$$ on a thing mentally want it to be better because of the money spent even it not better. I ask because I was in my car last night with a guy that has had 4 ferraris and just got a 997TT. He had been in a Europipe 2 996TT and told me he loved my Europipe custom. I said nothing. He is a driving instructor, etc. Drove my car "well" on the P240's..(I probably lost 5-10% of their life...oh well, it was fun). I also ask because I have been talking with board people about their used units....there are some out there on this board at all times. And board people are very nice. Prices are good. But 500 is 500. 750 is 750. And a mistake is still a mistake.

Anyway, he thanked me and asked for my exhaust specs. I showed him the thread. He said I must be lying then we walked out the the car and he looked....

Anyway, RichardCH...just curious because I figured you were our most well adjusted convert, having openly changed out an aftermarket (high end) unit for the TJW.

I keep getting tempted....and may still.....maxspeed/fabspeed/dgi....the 2nd tier if you will, but I am just not convinved.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
yes I have had a Cargraphic Loud (a drone disaster) and a Techart (Great) but neither as good as what I have now but remember I spend about $1500 on my OEM unit originally removing the second set of 400 cell cats completely (these are big) and replacing the first set of 100 cell cats with race cats, all I was missing was the sound and I have this now and will NEVER change my current combo.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
IMHO, Richard H has the right idea - The factory exhaust is very restrictive and will not offer the performance gains of a free flowing aftermarket exhaust...unless you do what Richard did and remove that 400 cell cat. The TJW mod will make more sound, but if you want to maximize your cars potential you will have to do what Richard did or purchase an exhaust designed for performance gains. I would agree that if you do not want to spend the money to significantly improve the exhaust flow or you don't care, but are only interested in a new sound - then the TJW would probably fit the bill...BTW, Richard has done what RUF does to create their very expensive exhaust and it does result is a very nice sounding exhaust, but not the maximum flowing design, either. However, it does flow very well and is very sufficient for a meaningful gain. Everything is a trade-off.

Last edited by John D; 01-12-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I still have my ruf w/ 100 cells and love this exhaust. I have tried a few diff exhaust from the cargraphics export to mild version I prefer the ruf, the ruf felt as it had more torque through all the ranges most noteably down low and mid in comparison to the cargraphics, contrary to what others may have mentioned.

drone makes me ill, physically nauseous. ruf was the only exhaust to try that didn't make me ill. besides the stock. pricey but worth it. they actually section and chamber the muffler contrary to what others have mentioned. much more than just drilling out.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
So Richard took the stock unit, cut out the primary 400 cell cat, and put 100's in..... Seems not too hard to do if you get the "right person" on it.....

Richard:

Where did you get the cats? What is the exact size/model/shape to get....I am sure there are many....

How many hours did the switch take?

Do you have pictures?

Anyone know a good source for the cats: affordable is key of course.

TIA.

So, stock, TJW with 100 cats and "voila"....good system (heavy)....a la RUF. With perhaps better sound.....not bad. Again, nothing against the pro systems out there...I just don't see spending EP money or more...just me.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-12-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Does the stock exhaust have more than one set of cats?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by medici78
Does the stock exhaust have more than one set of cats?
I think there are 3 sets...3 per side...at least. One big one that must be used and then the rest are in the muffler. I think....RichardCH will probably know best.

Richard, any chance of some sort of home drawing of the exhaust and the cats?

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT