996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

NY Front Plates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:03 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
When I first got my car, the plate/bracket fell off, during the two weeks I was waiting for a new one I got hassled twice and ticketed once. A 55$ 'fix ticket', hassle. Another doc I know parked his TT cab on the street, not only did he get a ticket, he also got towed to the west end tow lot bc no front plate, f'd up his nose badly.(They don't use a flatbed and any attendant violation can result in a tow)
That tow hook bracket looks interesting.....
C
So, Jon, you looking for a TT?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Laws requiring front License plates are the epitomy of a B.S. law good for nothing but being a revenue generator. An invisible tax if you will. They should in no way exist and are a perfect example of infringing on my right to have a clean front bumper on my car. Write your congressman and tell them how you feel, oh wait, it wont matter because the tickets generate too much money, so they wont listen. I say next time you see a police car without a front license plate, pull him over and force him to write a ticket for his own car. That'll show'em. I hate front plates, and if they're so important, then how come they aren't required in every state? Nothing but a tax!!!!!

I once got a ticket for no front license plate, can ya tell

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech-Law is on a distinguished road
I've driven for 3 years in all 5 boros without front plates on any of my cars. I was pulled over once at the Lincoln Tunnel and simply acted really nice and really dumb: "There's no front plates? I'm so sorry. We just got this car used and my wife drives it almost exlusively." No ticket. (it was an E55 so it looked like a simple E class - might have been why I got off.)

Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
sttjmk is on a distinguished road
Early in this thread, Dub-U asked about NJ. The police definitely pull us over when our front plate is missing. The last time it happened to me I was 200 yards away from the DMV parking lot. I literally had the plate on my front seat. He let me off because the DMV paperwork was about 10 minutes old.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Dub-U! is on a distinguished road
Actually interested to hear whether a NJ police would pull over a car with no front plates that is not registered in NJ. Assuming they know that X state has dual plate laws, could they issue you a ticket?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 PM
sttjmk is on a distinguished road
They will definitely pull you over, but I'll bet if they see the out of state plates, and that state doesn't require the front plate, they won't issue the ticket. Then again, if you are out of state, they are bound to get you for something else...

Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I only get hassled when having to pay the toll for midtown LOL, otherwise no!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
dbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if something like http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...License_Plate/ could be adapted as a compromise

Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have not run a front plate 10 years been hasseled once at a stop sign by a motor cop. he said next time i see ya i'll write ya. never saw that boy again.. bet he sez that to all the guys.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dub-U!
Anybody know whether I would get harassed for not running a front licence plate (registered in NY) in NY? What if I was driving in other states, such as NJ and CT? Really think the front plate ruins the look...
Front Plates visually are a nusance. Could you get by with a Euro plate
replicating your registered #'s? Just an idea.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech-Law is on a distinguished road
I think the "fake" euro plate would be even worse than no plate. At least with no plate you can claim ignorance, mistake etc.

One of the best silutions I saw was on Audiworld - a member epoxied 4 rare earth magnets behind his front bumper and then epoxied the corresponding magnets onto the back of a license plate frame. He had rubber cushions on the back of the plate frame to avoid scratches to the car's finish.

This way he could securely mount and dismount his plate without hardware or drilling holes on the front bumper.

I believe in NY no front plate is typically a "fix it" violation. Which means if you go to the court and prove that you've fixed it the summons is dismissed.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Update!

Okay, i got a response from Larry.

"Hi Jason
Thank you for the kind words. On a group buy of 20 or more sets shipped to one address and paid for with one check I can sell for $69.95 each plus shipping. On a group buy of 20 or more sets shipped to individual addresses and paid for by individual people I can sell for $74.95 each plus $10.00 shipping, that is $10.00 off of the regular price.
Thank you for your inquiry
Larry"

I think we we probably go with the group buy of 20 or more sets shipped to individual address and paid by individual people.

How many people are interested? I will also post this in the group buy section.

I'm definitely getting one, who else is in?

Jason

Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tech-Law
One of the best silutions I saw was on Audiworld - a member epoxied 4 rare earth magnets behind his front bumper and then epoxied the corresponding magnets onto the back of a license plate frame. He had rubber cushions on the back of the plate frame to avoid scratches to the car's finish.

This way he could securely mount and dismount his plate without hardware or drilling holes on the front bumper.
That is actually my car but a few people on the forum copied my idea so you may have seen other pictures from "copy cats". I used Neodeome magnets which are rated at 50# holding force. Since my bumper has a clear bra on it it doesn't scratch the bumper anyway but I still used felt padding on the magnets. I have driven through two winters with this setup and it holds well.

On my 996TT i just take the front plate and place it in my dash when I am driving locally. Although lately I have not been running the front plate and haven't been hassled yet...

Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
UPDATE!

Hi Jason
OK, send payment to larry@moweraxle.com at PayPal. Shippng is a flat rate of $10.00 and New York State Sales Tax is 8% on total. $74.95+10.00+8% tax $6.80 = $91.75 Lets give this a try, if I have any problems with this I will end it.
Larry