996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Check Engine Light and Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Garey Cooper is on a distinguished road
Question Check Engine Light and Exhaust System

It seems timely now that we have the posting on all of the exhaust systems that my "Check Engine Light" illuminated last weekend. I took the car to my dealer who says the fault is the over range on the O2 sensor downstream of the cats (100 cell) on my exhaust. I have the Europipe quiet and not all that many miles on them. I can tell my motor is running very rich because of the very black coloring of the exhaust tips. It would seem to me the fix would be to adjust the A/F ratio with the exhaust in mind (I have the GIAC chip) but how and who to do this in Southern California? I am also guessing that at the moment my car would possibly have a problem passing smog. I think I need to do something pretty soon or I will poison the cats.

Any thoughts out there?

Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Do you know what the code was? I would be shocked if the EP set off an 02 code. I never had an issue with that piece.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Kevin; No, Turbo's are not installed yet. I will probably have them installed week after next by Andial here in Santa Ana. Interesting, I hadn't thought about the greater airflow balancing out an over rich condition but that could make sense.

PhD; no sir they didn't give me the code number maybe I'll ask what it was. Although what they said rings true due to the richness I think I see in the exhaust. I just had a thought that I should look back at your comparison runs and see what the A/F ratio on the Europipe is compared to the rest?

I am told by the service rep at our dealership (who is an enthusiast with our PCA region and a straight shooter I believe) that in Europe the dealerships do have access to the computer codes and can do some tuning. While here in the "excited states" and particularly in California we are locked out of the computer as the cars are qualified at one setting and this is not to be tampered with under any condition.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:19 PM
I have the error codes

I called the dealership service representative and he gave me the error codes:

P0410 and P1411; He told me these are the O2 sensors downstream of the cats? He also says these are for over range readings.

Does anyone know what these are? I am still looking for any thoughts that anyone may have.

I have the Alamo Turbo K16's (which look pretty trick by the way) scheduled to be installed on August 26th.

Does anyone know of a SoCal tuner that can read and tweak computer settings for a specific car?

I'd appreciate any comment and input