996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

is 996TT crash/accident prone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I didn't buy one because it was to easy to drive. He is getting bad info from his dentist end of story.

I test drove a couple before buying my Cayman and always do some hamfisted driving to see how the car handles it, I hit an onramp and intentionally tried to induce oversteer by turning to sharply into the corner while flooring it on boost and the car just dug in and shot up the onramp. It is drama free at 150+.

I don't mean this in a bad way but it was kind of boring cause they handle speed so well.

Oh, and my last car was an M3 with the competition package and no comparison at all.

Last edited by SD1; 08-26-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:11 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Totally false. If anything, a modded M3 is harder to drive than a modded porsche.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Wink

Originally Posted by justinmm2
The old Turbos (930) were dentist killers. The new ones are nothing like that.

Tell him there are so many for sale because Turbo owners are a bunch of ***** dentists who never feel 'safe' owning a car past 10k miles
+1 The comments your friends makes sure sounds like the stories with the old 911 Turbos...

The 993TT->996TT->997TT are completely different cars from the early Turbos... awd made a major difference in how these car handles.

It all depends on what he is after... but from the sounds of it, he does not seem to know what the hell he wants. To me it sounds like a poser and a 997S might be the right car for him; new interior, new exterior... something that his viewing crowd my approve...and a warranty as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wachuko
To me it sounds like a poser
or just could be somebody who wants to make sure their car is safe?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by ashokn225
Totally false. If anything, a modded M3 is harder to drive than a modded porsche.
sorry, not to single you out, but... have you had extensive driving time in both? an no, borrowing your friends car to drive around the block doesn't count.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
jkb
thanks for the feedback you illegal immigrant you! i kid, i kid...

(seriously though, definitely appreciate the info from the person who driven both)

Originally Posted by stuka
With AWD, and non defeatable PSM, it takes massive talent to actually crash a Turbo, which explains why the insurance rate is lower than that of an E46 M3.

IN fact, I sold mine because it was impossible to drive the car sideways in the dry with PSM off, whereas the E46 M3 with DSC off can easily get the hamfisted driver killed with lurid oversteer.

The GT2 is more like the 930 and 064 Turbo of the old days, no electronics, if you can't drive it properly, it kills you like the 930 and 964 Turbos and its dentist drivers.

Just tell him to get the Turbo, it is so cheap and safe and utilitarian to drive and insure that it's the bargain of the century. When I had the Turbo some weeks when my beater was in service, I drove it everyday and it was no less comfortable than the cushy M3.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jkb
sorry, not to single you out, but... have you had extensive driving time in both? an no, borrowing your friends car to drive around the block doesn't count.
I have, on the track many times even.

With DSC off, the M3 is order of maginitude harder to drive than the Turbo, with or without the non defetable PSM.

The Turbo is a very safe car for anyone. Hell, it even comes with automatic tranny, a granny can drive it.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by jkb
As amazing and unblievable as it might sound, the Turbo is a much much safer car as far as how easy it is to drive with AWD and PSM.

The insurance company also has very good input on that. And my insurance back when I was single was way way more expensive when I had the M3 than when I had the Turbo, because people are crashing their M3's left and right, and not so with the Turbo.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
jkb
that comment was directed at ashokn, not you

Originally Posted by stuka
I have, on the track many times even.

With DSC off, the M3 is order of maginitude harder to drive than the Turbo, with or without the non defetable PSM.

The Turbo is a very safe car for anyone. Hell, it even comes with automatic tranny, a granny can drive it.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by jkb
Most cars today, in the high end and even the economy boxes, have pretty good safety features... If you take the 996TT, you have a car with several air bags, abs, awd, psm, etc... that can also move your senses with the kick of the turbos while doing so in a safe way...

I did not mean to say he is a poser in a negative way. I probably should have phrase it differently. Maybe he is not a car guy... I read the thread and remember how I came to buy my first Porsche... I read books, visited the dealer, several other dealers that had used cars, I got into the club before having a car... did my homework... I knew what I wanted...and knew the differences between the 996 base engine and the 996TT engine... to me it was a no brainer...

I do like the BMW 3 series... to be it has the right balance in a car, german engineering, sport feel, a car that should last for many many years. The M3, outside of the initial engine failures, looks like a solid car... but if you are talking safety, it lacks awd... anyway... I think that if he was more into cars he would have made a choice. So instead of poser I would call him "Not a car guy"... how is that? once bitten can't go back.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
everyone seems to have ignored my comments re: standing water. w/ 19's and motons, my car is a death trap in the rain. it's no fun and it can be pretty dangerous when you hit standing water.

knowing the area of this dentist, 101 is a no-go in the rain. too unpredictable unless you're doing 50mph or less. and the rainy season beckons.

(of course, i dobut this dentist will mod the car as much as i have but it is a real world safety concern.)

- chuck

Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by carendt242
everyone seems to have ignored my comments re: standing water. w/ 19's and motons, my car is a death trap in the rain. it's no fun and it can be pretty dangerous when you hit standing water.

knowing the area of this dentist, 101 is a no-go in the rain. too unpredictable unless you're doing 50mph or less. and the rainy season beckons.

(of course, i dobut this dentist will mod the car as much as i have but it is a real world safety concern.)

- chuck
The stock Turbo tires are really good in the rain, even with PSM off.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM
jkb
its a co-worker of mine, not my dentist or his dentist

i dont think he will go motons if he gets the car, i am going to steer him into PSS9 direction

why is it a death trap though? does it hydroplane? bold tires? shouldn't there be some sort of fix for it? why are you putting up with this deficiency?

- chuck

Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
you routinely go from Lane A to Lane B w/o much control - very bad hydroplaning.

i will try some stock wheels this winter to see if it helps or not.

why do i put up with it? if you want a fast performance car, i've learned you have to make significant compromises w/r/t daily drivability.

- chuck

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
you routinely go from Lane A to Lane B w/o much control - very bad hydroplaning.

i will try some stock wheels this winter to see if it helps or not.

why do i put up with it? if you want a fast performance car, i've learned you have to make significant compromises w/r/t daily drivability.

- chuck
I had stock suspension too, stock everything. With tire in full tread, it was no drama at that speed, in my imagination of course.

But, when the tires were bald, it did do what you described.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is 996TT crash/accident prone?