996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track events vs drag racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I can now stick with the GT3RS around The Ring, on 3 seperate occasions I followed 3 different RS's. I have to admit it wasn't that easy and I was drivin' the *** off the Turbo but still trying to keep concentration and as smooth as possible.

You have to make major changes to suspension and brakes to do this as the Turbo is a a lot heavier.

I will try and set up a video camera for the next time I'm out there!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ace996
To each their own. With that said...

Most...and I mean MOST drivers, not the factory driver or the ALMS/T1/GT1/2 drivers, cannot lap an American roadcourse faster in a car with over 500rwhp/awhp than a car with 300rwhp/awhp. The reason is traction...pure and simple. Whilst exiting a turn, if you put your foot down too much with such a high hp beast, traction very much tries to elude you and it is only the very,very,very gifted drivers who can ride that line of traction to good effect. What usually ends up happening is the driver becomes tentative of balancing on that line and either stays far short of it or goes enough over it to enter a "drifting" state...which is the slower way around a turn.

Many, even on this board, have said that a well prepped stock engined 996TT would afford a faster lap time than a heavily modded one. It takes an unGodly amount of skill to drive a car with 500/600/700rwhp faster than a 400rwhp car... even then it's all incrementally skill related.

What really blows my mind here is that I don't think I've ever read a post about autocrossing...probably the most available way to learn to drive one's car in a safe manner. Plenty of track,strip, and "roll-on" threads but never an autox one....

Be good,
TomK
I think 500 rwhp is about the max the TT can handle before traction becomes a hinderance and it takes access skill to pilot the car. Therefore faster than the stock TT. And even that depends on the tires on the car. If street tires, then I completely agree, but on R-Compound the TT can certainly use a little more power. And that's w/ AWD, it becomes more sketchy with RWD. But 600 and 700 whp will take some masterful skill to drive, unless the Rev limit and gears have been changed, and I think quite a few of them are doing it.

I agree with the TT at Auto-X because I did set a lap record at the Road Atlanta Auto-X.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Many, even on this board, have said that a well prepped stock engined 996TT would afford a faster lap time than a heavily modded one. It takes an unGodly amount of skill to drive a car with 500/600/700rwhp faster than a 400rwhp car... even then it's all incrementally skill related.

Be good,
TomK

Tom,

That is probably true of alot of people but I had no problem eating a new 997 turbo for lunch not only on the straights but also in the twisties. That car would be close to 400 rwhp, compared to my 600 rwhp. I also had no problem with a 996 GT3 in the twisties.

I have alot of driving under my belt so I am sure that helps.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:25 PM
ace996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by buddyg
I have alot of driving under my belt so I am sure that helps.
That is it in a nutshell, and a testament to your ability. I'm willing to bet if you were both in 120hp miatas, you'd still beat him...

As said, 500hp to the wheels, is about the limit for a street-tire'd car. With more power, r-comps and the proper modifications between the ears is needed. Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not a "power-hater" or against having "more than enough" but at a point it starts to slow youdown.
The reason why race-prepped low-hp cars can go so fast (miatas, 944cups,Elise/Exiges) is that tey are able to put down just about all the power they have.
It's all about being able to use what's available, and once you enter into the "+500whp" range, the driver's skill must be there to use it....most don't...and I'm one of the "have-nots". At least I know my limitations...for now.

always a pleasure,
TomK

Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jean
And you are not about to find one passing you very soon. Depending on the track, a well sorted (street) turbo will have 4seconds+ over any very well driven 997GT3RS. After 20 laps it might be a different story though.
Ive really come to find that the turbo has either a really great advantage compared to a GT3 or a HUGE dissadvantage ad given tracks...its all about the low speed/med speed sweepers and turns...GT3s walk all over my car at turn 3 at summit but come the chute, Im right in their face again...and then after turn 10 onto the straight...well...TURBOS BABY!!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:39 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
That is it in a nutshell, and a testament to your ability. I'm willing to bet if you were both in 120hp miatas, you'd still beat him...

As said, 500hp to the wheels, is about the limit for a street-tire'd car. With more power, r-comps and the proper modifications between the ears is needed. Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not a "power-hater" or against having "more than enough" but at a point it starts to slow youdown.
The reason why race-prepped low-hp cars can go so fast (miatas, 944cups,Elise/Exiges) is that tey are able to put down just about all the power they have.
It's all about being able to use what's available, and once you enter into the "+500whp" range, the driver's skill must be there to use it....most don't...and I'm one of the "have-nots". At least I know my limitations...for now.

always a pleasure,
TomK
My car has KW v3 coilovers, sways front and rear, upgraded brakes and was running Pilot Sport Cups tires.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buddyg
My car has KW v3 coilovers, sways front and rear, upgraded brakes and was running Pilot Sport Cups tires.

Honestly, its almost still not enough with your over 600hp...I am able to pass mannnny cars with over 550 hp with little hassle on most track days where they are present...hell...Ill lower the amount of hp one needs....I would say at over just 400, the amont of driver skill required to really take advantage of what one of these has to offer is MONUMENTALLY large...that said, our 996tts help to mask that A BIT as they offer HUGE grip and some forgivabiliy that a rwd car with 500 hp just doesnt have...you would need to move to a full, custom setup race system and honest to god hoosiers at a minium...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Buddy,

Many fine points made here already, but another data point to consider: you can drive like you're on a drag strip at the street (i.e, flooring it to get from a to b), but you can't really drive like you're on a road course on the street, at least not without risking the life and limb of yourself and, more importantly, others. Given that the massive majority of my car's time will be spent on the street, I don't mind having a lot of HP to play with.

One of these days I'll start modding

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Buddy,

I am in the same camp as justinmm2. Hearing stories about brake fluid boiling and losing brakes one turn before a 150 MPH straight followed by a 90 degree right hander makes me think twice about it. I can't imagine what would have happened if that member (I forget who it was) lost his brakes on the following turn. Personally, I feel road course tracking is more dangerous and I'm not interested in pushing my luck. Seems like it would be very hard on the car, too. I even get a little concerned about an 11 second 1/4 mile run with trap speeds in excess of 130 MPH, but it does feel relatively safe. My car is a daily driver and I enjoy it for about 100 miles every day...throw in a couple of 1/4 mile days per season and I'm good. The PCA guys keep trying to get me out, but so far I just haven't been overly interested - I'm pretty satisfied the way things are...

Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D
Buddy,

I am in the same camp as justinmm2. Hearing stories about brake fluid boiling and losing brakes one turn before a 150 MPH straight followed by a 90 degree right hander makes me think twice about it. I can't imagine what would have happened if that member (I forget who it was) lost his brakes on the following turn. Personally, I feel road course tracking is more dangerous and I'm not interested in pushing my luck. Seems like it would be very hard on the car, too. I even get a little concerned about an 11 second 1/4 mile run with trap speeds in excess of 130 MPH, but it does feel relatively safe. My car is a daily driver and I enjoy it for about 100 miles every day...throw in a couple of 1/4 mile days per season and I'm good. The PCA guys keep trying to get me out, but so far I just haven't been overly interested - I'm pretty satisfied the way things are...

LOL, I think you are talking about me (if not , my bad), I wasnt going 150, I was going 70 and VERY fortunate to get out of it with only plastic undercarriage replacement pieces.

There is no doubt that road racing is risky, but it's worth the reward, and as long as you keep your head and get some instruction, you'll be ok. Porsches are very durable on the track.

But, no doubt that drag racing is safer.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
i've never drag raced any of my cars ever... rolling starts on a highway against friends sure, but not drag racing.

i'm a track guy thru and thru... been doing an average of 1 trackday every 6 weeks for roughly the past 5 years. i'm not the fastest, and am no michael schumacher... but its what i like. I'm sure drag racing is fun-- even doing the "3 honk" thing on the highway gets the adrenalin going pretty nicely.

but to really enjoy a car like a 911, i feel that the track is the way to go. that's what the porsche engineers and walter rohrl spend all their time on-- making the car handle better and outperform many other cars with more power.

the other thing is, at the track i have access to in my country, big power really doesn't count for a whole lot, as even the absolute fastest cars will struggle to break 110mph before braking at the end of the main straight. its all about weight and all about suspension setup and handling.

case in point, my friend's stripped out track spec'd honda civic with 180hp to the wheels is as fast as a 997 Carrera S. and while i'm faster in the 996 Turbo than I am in my '98 Nissan Silvia with 200rwhp (my latest toy,) i'm having much more FUN in the lighter, nimbler and infinitely cheaper Nissan. (GT3 is another story entirely though! )

would i rather have the Honda or the Nissan over the Porsche, if I had to choose? Of course not!

but i'm a firm believer in "the right tool for the right job". and for either going FAST (laptimes) or having FUN, there's going to be better and frequently cheaper alternatives to the Porsche.

for the overall performance car "triathlon" though-- street crusing, circuit racing, saturday night clubbing, and backed by solid reliablity... we know that there is no substitute.

(having said that, i'm back to developing my '98 Mitsubishi Evo for more track work! )

Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
heavychevy, was that you? I thought you said that just after you lost your brakes there was a long straight and that if it had happened there instead, it would have been very bad when you hit the corner following the high speed straight...and that you were lucky it was a slower part of the track when they gave out. Anyhow, that's the point I was making - there's a lot more room for potential situations on a road course and that has a lot to do with why I have stayed away. Hell, I wear a firesuit, 6 point harness and R3 H&N restraint for my lame 1/4 runs

Last edited by John D; 09-20-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Buddy,

Many fine points made here already, but another data point to consider: you can drive like you're on a drag strip at the street (i.e, flooring it to get from a to b), but you can't really drive like you're on a road course on the street, at least not without risking the life and limb of yourself and, more importantly, others. Given that the massive majority of my car's time will be spent on the street, I don't mind having a lot of HP to play with.

One of these days I'll start modding
Disagree completely. I would never drive my cars on the street like I do at the drag strip.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Buddy,

John,

You can go as fast or slow as you want. For your first time out you will be in the slowest run group with an instructor and you don't have to move up if you don't want to. You should at least give it a shot at safe speeds before deciding it is not for you.

It is a ton of fun!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM
heavychevy, was that you? I thought you said that just after you lost your brakes there was a long straight and that if it had happened there instead, it would have been very bad when you hit the corner following the high speed straight...and that you were lucky it was a slower part of the track when they gave out. Anyhow, that's the point I was making - there's a lot more room for potential situations on a road course and that has a lot to do with why I have stayed away. Hell, I wear a firesuit, 6 point harness and R3 H&N restraint for my lame 1/4 runs

Yeah, that's what I said, I was lucky to go off on one of the slowest parts of the track. But you have to take a couple things into consideration.

#1 The length of the track, length of straights (they help brake cooling). I was on hoosiers on a very short track (1.5 miles), one that has boiled brakes on corvettes, vipers, cup cars and all other kinds of cars (of course I didnt know this until afterwards), some tracks are just VERY hard on brakes and it's easy to ask around and find out if the one you are going to is one of them. I was on the brakes hard 4 times a lap, and no way to cool them off.

#2 The speed at which you are going, because our cars are heavy, if yo uare going to track and are a fast driver ( I was faster than anyone there by 2 seconds, which is pretty big on a track that short) then you will stress parts of the car more than the average driver, and I can assure you you'll have a harder time on street tires and not going so fast on a more friendly track. I have stop repeatedly at Road Atlanta from 160+ down to 45 and never had a problem, it all depends on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track events vs drag racing