996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

WWAPBD? Opine, Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
WWAPBD? Opine, Please!

What Would A Porsche Buyer Do?

Choice #1: 2000 Cab, triple black, 42k miles, hardtop, sport design wheels, hifi, aluminum pkg, windscreen,new pads/rotors/tires, 6 spd, Fabspeed exhaust, full inspection and work by RUF, all records from day #1, extended b-to-b warranty for 12k or 12 months.
No blemishes at all - no dings, scrapes, curb rash - nothing.
Caveat - engine replaced by Porsche at dealership 5k miles ago due to RMS failure. Zero problems since. Drives fantastic - hardtop creaked a bit. All stock except exhaust.
Price = $37k +/-

Choice #2: 2002 Cab, basalt black/grey/grey, 14k miles, 6 spd, no hardtop, base wheels, 6 cd changer, light on options, no windscreen, no records, 2 door dings, passenger door tint to be replaced, new brakes, no warranty, curb rash on 1 wheel. Drives fantastic. All stock.
Price = $41k +/-

I personally feel more comfortable with the RUF car (not modified, just serviced and for sale) because of the documentation and the pristine condition. Is it a plus for the car to have a new engine as far as value goes? I do like the low miles on the 02, plus the 3.6 ltr and glass rear window, but no warranty and no records stink.

Note - car will be strictly a pleasure craft, not a DD. I'm basically a poser who like to enjoy toys on the weekend, and I am VERY easy on my cars. Maybe 3k miles a year, no track time - just want to feel cool and look sweet.

Any informed opinions welcome. I owned a 99 Guards Red cab and loved it - I sold it way too cheap in 06. Time for me to come in from the cold.

Last edited by leftlane; 10-15-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I prefer 02+ for the 996, but this one sounds like a no brainer: #1. I would hold out for another 02 though. $41k this time of year should get you a near perfect but slightly higher mileage version of the cab.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
02 of course. Bigger displacement, more power and glass rear window and liptronic headlights (same as TT).

Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
get the 02... better overall in the long run. Youll be basicly buying it becuase of the new headlights. If that doesnt matter 00, will be fine as well.