6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Need help on driving my 996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/103008-need-help-driving-my-996-a.html)

prspeed 10-22-2007 05:48 PM

Need help on driving my 996

I have had my 1999 carrera 2 for 2 months and am needing som hel on driving it . was wandering if I where to go from 0-100 and get the best time where are the best shift points? How far to take each gear without damaging engine thanks,

ZEMDOGG 10-22-2007 05:51 PM

You'll never damage that engine from upshifts. The rev limiter is your friend! Just watch you dont over-rev it on a downshift!

Redridge 10-22-2007 05:53 PM

start up shifting at 6800 rpm the extra rpms arent really doing much at that level. By the time you shift, you should not be hitting the limiter.

Gcookie 10-23-2007 09:06 PM

Driver Education

Go to a DE you learn that you got a fantastic car. Who cares about straight line acceleration. Straight line braking and slam on the gas in the apex. Your car will turn when you don't think it could. PSM is built by the P-gods to save you in case you get real stupid...

For those that never been it's kinda of like flight school. Your instructor will be with you untill your graduate to the higher classes.

rpf996 10-24-2007 08:10 PM

I am looking forward to PCA driver ed in the spring. I have had my 2002 c2 since June, after running GM hot rods/Vettes since 84, the biggest adjustment I have made is living in the high RPMs. With my last Vette, a 97 C5, with an LS1 producing about 330 RWHP, I feel the C2 is just as fast acceleration wise, although I have not launched the car yet. THe biggest difference is the torque. I wonder what the 996 will do in the quarter, my Vette ran high 12s. Probably not off that mark by much. I agree the chasis balance is where its at with these cars. I find conservative shifting at about 4500 RPM feels nice, but the car does like to rev!

aagau 11-08-2007 07:08 PM

I agree with the 6800RPM shift.
Anything above 6500 is better than waiting for the redline.

alan6888hk 11-09-2007 05:02 AM

down shifting

Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG (Post 1413728)
You'll never damage that engine from upshifts. The rev limiter is your friend! Just watch you dont over-rev it on a downshift!

THx for sharing the opinion ZEMDOGG..i own a 03 996C2
just wondering what would happen to the engine when over-rev on a down shift? cuz i am new to p-cars and still learning on a downshifting..
remember once i down shift from 4th to 3th..the rpm on that speed should be around 3000rpm and i rev it around 4000rpm the let go the clutch..is that consider over-rev on downshift? what would happan to the engine?
Sorry for so many questions guys.....
cuz...still learning on how to drive a porsche properly

jstgermaine 11-09-2007 08:18 AM

Over-rev on a down shift = Money Shift.

This happens when you mistakenly down shift into a lower gear than you planned. Going from fifth to second instead of fourth. When this happens, your engine will spin well past redline and you will destroy your valve train...time for a new engine.

alan6888hk 11-09-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jstgermaine (Post 1450434)
Over-rev on a down shift = Money Shift.

This happens when you mistakenly down shift into a lower gear than you planned. Going from fifth to second instead of fourth. When this happens, your engine will spin well past redline and you will destroy your valve train...time for a new engine.

icic....thank you so much on the comment

dride007 11-10-2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by alan6888hk (Post 1450238)
THx for sharing the opinion ZEMDOGG..i own a 03 996C2
just wondering what would happen to the engine when over-rev on a down shift? cuz i am new to p-cars and still learning on a downshifting..
remember once i down shift from 4th to 3th..the rpm on that speed should be around 3000rpm and i rev it around 4000rpm the let go the clutch..is that consider over-rev on downshift? what would happan to the engine?
Sorry for so many questions guys.....
cuz...still learning on how to drive a porsche properly

After driving your car for a bit you should know what gear you can select at what speed. For example, I know if on the highway over 60 MPH and I need to get on it and I am in 6th, 3rd is the farthest I can go down w/o damaging the engine and putting myself in the best gear for acceleration. Also know that 1st, 2nd & 6th are tall gears. 3rd, 4th & 5th are short gears, where the car conducts business e.g. the track. If you look in your manual you will see the ratios for the gears. Moreover, it will tell you maximum speed in each gear. Because as mentioned before, when accelerating the fuel cut will keep you from blowing the engine. But downshifting into the wrong gear, the wheels will become the power unit and spin the engine into disaster territory. You'll know when this happens when you downshift and the wheels screech, your tach bottoms out and by the time you clutch it, you've just turned your six cylinder into a 3 cylinder. Then proceed to the nearest off ramp, get out of the car and bang your head against the rear bumper. This will numb your head a bit when you start to realize what this mistake will cost you. Cheers.

dride007 11-10-2007 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by prspeed (Post 1413717)
I have had my 1999 carrera 2 for 2 months and am needing som hel on driving it . was wandering if I where to go from 0-100 and get the best time where are the best shift points? How far to take each gear without damaging engine thanks,

Also, if not already mentioned.

Always brake before the turn in a straight line, your benefit is you can nail the throttle right after your turn in because of your weight distribution ratio.

Redridge couldn't of put upshifting better.

Check your tire pressures.

Seating position.

Honk at all hot women.

Rev engine when unnecessary (stop lights, drive thru's at fast food joints)

Reach down and raise the spoiler manually when stuck in traffic, amaze those around you.

Pop your hood in a crowded parking lot and yell "someone stole my engine!"

And last, drive fast - take chances. You'll be amazed what a 911 can do when you think you're about to die.

alan6888hk 11-10-2007 03:21 PM

Thank you so much on the explanation,dride007!!Very clear...
thx a lottttt

Russcan 11-10-2007 05:43 PM

Make sure you go from 3rd to 4th. Once I went from 3rd to 2nd and Boom. Valves looked like an empty beer can at a Frat party. That Money shift cost me $7000 on a BMW. To top it all off, I still lost the race. I bet that guy is still laughing his ass off.

alan6888hk 11-10-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Russcan (Post 1453075)
Make sure you go from 3rd to 4th. Once I went from 3rd to 2nd and Boom. Valves looked like an empty beer can at a Frat party. That Money shift cost me $7000 on a BMW. To top it all off, I still lost the race. I bet that guy is still laughing his ass off.

OHhhh....so sorry to hear that...$7000 on a BM...wonder how much it would be on a pcar..

Russcan 11-10-2007 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by alan6888hk (Post 1453197)
OHhhh....so sorry to hear that...$7000 on a BM...wonder how much it would be on a pcar..

I hope I never find out. Now if I race someone, if I'm losing at the end of 3rd gear. I just stop right there. The wife was not to happy about it. You kind of look like a dumb ass as well. Well you live and learn.

Russ