996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need help on driving my 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
prspeed is on a distinguished road
Question Need help on driving my 996

I have had my 1999 carrera 2 for 2 months and am needing som hel on driving it . was wandering if I where to go from 0-100 and get the best time where are the best shift points? How far to take each gear without damaging engine thanks,

Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
You'll never damage that engine from upshifts. The rev limiter is your friend! Just watch you dont over-rev it on a downshift!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
start up shifting at 6800 rpm the extra rpms arent really doing much at that level. By the time you shift, you should not be hitting the limiter.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Gcookie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Driver Education

Go to a DE you learn that you got a fantastic car. Who cares about straight line acceleration. Straight line braking and slam on the gas in the apex. Your car will turn when you don't think it could. PSM is built by the P-gods to save you in case you get real stupid...

For those that never been it's kinda of like flight school. Your instructor will be with you untill your graduate to the higher classes.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
rpf996 is on a distinguished road
I am looking forward to PCA driver ed in the spring. I have had my 2002 c2 since June, after running GM hot rods/Vettes since 84, the biggest adjustment I have made is living in the high RPMs. With my last Vette, a 97 C5, with an LS1 producing about 330 RWHP, I feel the C2 is just as fast acceleration wise, although I have not launched the car yet. THe biggest difference is the torque. I wonder what the 996 will do in the quarter, my Vette ran high 12s. Probably not off that mark by much. I agree the chasis balance is where its at with these cars. I find conservative shifting at about 4500 RPM feels nice, but the car does like to rev!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
aagau is on a distinguished road
I agree with the 6800RPM shift.
Anything above 6500 is better than waiting for the redline.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
down shifting

Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
You'll never damage that engine from upshifts. The rev limiter is your friend! Just watch you dont over-rev it on a downshift!
THx for sharing the opinion ZEMDOGG..i own a 03 996C2
just wondering what would happen to the engine when over-rev on a down shift? cuz i am new to p-cars and still learning on a downshifting..
remember once i down shift from 4th to 3th..the rpm on that speed should be around 3000rpm and i rev it around 4000rpm the let go the clutch..is that consider over-rev on downshift? what would happan to the engine?
Sorry for so many questions guys.....
cuz...still learning on how to drive a porsche properly

Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 AM
jstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Over-rev on a down shift = Money Shift.

This happens when you mistakenly down shift into a lower gear than you planned. Going from fifth to second instead of fourth. When this happens, your engine will spin well past redline and you will destroy your valve train...time for a new engine.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jstgermaine
Over-rev on a down shift = Money Shift.

This happens when you mistakenly down shift into a lower gear than you planned. Going from fifth to second instead of fourth. When this happens, your engine will spin well past redline and you will destroy your valve train...time for a new engine.
icic....thank you so much on the comment

Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
dride007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
THx for sharing the opinion ZEMDOGG..i own a 03 996C2
just wondering what would happen to the engine when over-rev on a down shift? cuz i am new to p-cars and still learning on a downshifting..
remember once i down shift from 4th to 3th..the rpm on that speed should be around 3000rpm and i rev it around 4000rpm the let go the clutch..is that consider over-rev on downshift? what would happan to the engine?
Sorry for so many questions guys.....
cuz...still learning on how to drive a porsche properly
After driving your car for a bit you should know what gear you can select at what speed. For example, I know if on the highway over 60 MPH and I need to get on it and I am in 6th, 3rd is the farthest I can go down w/o damaging the engine and putting myself in the best gear for acceleration. Also know that 1st, 2nd & 6th are tall gears. 3rd, 4th & 5th are short gears, where the car conducts business e.g. the track. If you look in your manual you will see the ratios for the gears. Moreover, it will tell you maximum speed in each gear. Because as mentioned before, when accelerating the fuel cut will keep you from blowing the engine. But downshifting into the wrong gear, the wheels will become the power unit and spin the engine into disaster territory. You'll know when this happens when you downshift and the wheels screech, your tach bottoms out and by the time you clutch it, you've just turned your six cylinder into a 3 cylinder. Then proceed to the nearest off ramp, get out of the car and bang your head against the rear bumper. This will numb your head a bit when you start to realize what this mistake will cost you. Cheers.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
dride007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by prspeed
I have had my 1999 carrera 2 for 2 months and am needing som hel on driving it . was wandering if I where to go from 0-100 and get the best time where are the best shift points? How far to take each gear without damaging engine thanks,
Also, if not already mentioned.

Always brake before the turn in a straight line, your benefit is you can nail the throttle right after your turn in because of your weight distribution ratio.

Redridge couldn't of put upshifting better.

Check your tire pressures.

Seating position.

Honk at all hot women.

Rev engine when unnecessary (stop lights, drive thru's at fast food joints)

Reach down and raise the spoiler manually when stuck in traffic, amaze those around you.

Pop your hood in a crowded parking lot and yell "someone stole my engine!"

And last, drive fast - take chances. You'll be amazed what a 911 can do when you think you're about to die.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Thank you so much on the explanation,dride007!!Very clear...
thx a lottttt

Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Russcan is on a distinguished road
Make sure you go from 3rd to 4th. Once I went from 3rd to 2nd and Boom. Valves looked like an empty beer can at a Frat party. That Money shift cost me $7000 on a BMW. To top it all off, I still lost the race. I bet that guy is still laughing his *** off.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Russcan
Make sure you go from 3rd to 4th. Once I went from 3rd to 2nd and Boom. Valves looked like an empty beer can at a Frat party. That Money shift cost me $7000 on a BMW. To top it all off, I still lost the race. I bet that guy is still laughing his *** off.
OHhhh....so sorry to hear that...$7000 on a BM...wonder how much it would be on a pcar..

Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Russcan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
OHhhh....so sorry to hear that...$7000 on a BM...wonder how much it would be on a pcar..
I hope I never find out. Now if I race someone, if I'm losing at the end of 3rd gear. I just stop right there. The wife was not to happy about it. You kind of look like a dumb *** as well. Well you live and learn.

Russ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help on driving my 996