996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

About the Turbo bumper retrofit on NB 996...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
About the Turbo bumper retrofit on NB 996...

I've search and read a lot of the posts showing pictures of this awesome conversion. What I need is a DIY thread with pictures with all the little details and steps, parts and tips that involve such conversion and part numbers if possible. Is there such a thread? Stuff like overheating after conversion? Original turbo plastic air inlets cones work with the position of a NA 966? Trimming the metal bumper? (cosmetic or fitting problem) it's a bolt on project or more labored bodyshop deal? Anybody put a top grill on the turbo bumper (like the GT2-3)? ( I know is like $25) Do you need a lip?
Sorry for so many questions!!!

Thanks in advance!

joel

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 AM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
I have done the conversion and since I have a 99, mine was much more involved such as headlights and fenders had to be replaced. Since you have a 02, yours should be much easier.

I have never heard of overheating due to bumper replacement. I used my original plastic air inlets although I would like to change it to the turbo ones. You can't really tell just by looking at it.

I did not trim my metal bumper but instead I trimmed the grill on the turbo bumper slightly to have it fitted.

I think that it would look silly and would look like a hack job if you put on the top grill like the GT2. The GT2 bumper looks more aggresive and the grill goes well with it but I would love to see pictures to prove me wrong.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
I had done it on my '02 C4 Cab. It's a perfect fit, although the cooling ducts are a little different. I did nothing to modify them and never had any overheating problem and I am in SoCal. The only "mod" is that on the bottom of the bumper (and you can't see it) the atttachement points have a gap so you have to use some sheet metal with a couple of bolts to bridge the gap. Lastly, if you have it done, remove the "eyebrows" carefully. These are the black plastic pieces at the front edge of the headlights. You can glue them back on, but if you break them, they are about $75 each.