996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to charge battery without removing?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
pai
pai is on a distinguished road
How to charge battery without removing?

Ok...with the winter almost over in Boston its time to take out my 996 c2. However, the battery is very weak it barely starts. So i went and bought a battery charger but totally clueless how to connect it (i do not know where the battery is located!!).
1) can i recharge it without diconnecting the battery? if so, do i just connect + to + and - to - OR is there is specific way to do it?
2) if i have to remove the battery, can i just disconnect it and reconnect it? OR will i need any recalibration either for the engine management system or the stereo?

As you can tell i am totally clueless...please advise

cheers,
M
PS: where is the battery located?? front or back?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
PTarga is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pai
Ok...with the winter almost over in Boston its time to take out my 996 c2. However, the battery is very weak it barely starts. So i went and bought a battery charger but totally clueless how to connect it (i do not know where the battery is located!!).
1) can i recharge it without diconnecting the battery? if so, do i just connect + to + and - to - OR is there is specific way to do it?
2) if i have to remove the battery, can i just disconnect it and reconnect it? OR will i need any recalibration either for the engine management system or the stereo?

As you can tell i am totally clueless...please advise

cheers,
M
PS: where is the battery located?? front or back?
The battery is in the front, under the hood, directly behind the spare. You should disconnect the battery so that you can check the water level. You'll mist likely have to add some distilled water if it is the original battery. You should remove the negative first. As far as reprogramming, the only thing you will have to do is set the radio security code, so make sure you have that handy. No other reprogramming is necessary.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
pai
Thanks....Where can i find the radio security code? Is it in the manual?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 PM
PTarga is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pai
Thanks....Where can i find the radio security code? Is it in the manual?
No, it will be on an index-sized card. If you don't have it, you'll have to go to the dealer so they can verify your vin.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
you'll also have to reprogram the power windows / roof for one-touch operation.

Get in car and close doors, turn key to "on" position.
Press "Down" on window until all the way down then hold for 3 seconds. Press "Up" until all the way up and hold for three seconds. Repeat for other window and roof.
Test one-touch up and down. If it does not take just do it again.

You thought about buying a battery tender from Detailers Domain or Porsche? Might be handy..

Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
pai
Thanks!!

The manual of the battery charger also states that one could charge it by connecting positive to positive terminal and negative to something heavy, unpainted like... chassis/body (but not the negative terminal) .....does that make sense?? (thus avoiding to disconnect the battery)

Last edited by pai; 03-30-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Get a battery maintainer/charger. It just plugs into the cig lighter and you don't have to worry about disconnecting anything or reprogramming your radio or windows.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche battery maintainer -- A must have for winter or long periods without driving.
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=POTE996WW

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Those work well and so does a Battery Tender. Just connect pos to pos - Red/red and Black/black neg, let it charge. Lights will go from Red (charging)to green (fully Charged). No need to disconnect Battery and you can visually check water levels in the battery while connected. If there is a charge left there will be no need to reprogram anything. I use these on my other vehicles and pwc batteries for winter storing. It works like a champ

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 AM
pai
thanks guys....

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
I have a 99 with the levers. But the battery was dead and now charging but I cant access the trunk..... whats going on?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
never thought my car had one-touch window or sunroof operation. so I tried the re-programming trick and it worked. then, just a little bit later, it didn't work. so I re-programmed it again, and it doesn't work. tried several times. thoughts?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 AM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
Just to let everyone know. When the batt dies the security is enabled. U have to disable with remote button but mine wasnt working. The trunk is locked and coont be accessed easily. You have to literally break in by moving the locking device from the lever with a knife or think screwdriver. Hard to explain but found it on goooooogle

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
this is damn interesting. I just replaced the battery, but it had enough juice to open the front and back. the book says you can open the door with the remote and then use a portable battery thing to open the trunk and rear by connecting to a pos post at the fuse box and neg at the door hinge. but if the remote isnt working, wouldn't the key open the door to access the fuse box? and if there's no juice then the alarm wouldn't go off? I didnt what you did could be done.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Well what I read is once the battery is dead then I assume it releases a little metal slide which moves into place and stops u from opening front trunk. I was still able to open the back and jumped it and charged it that way but even when the car was on and running I couldnt open the front. But thats because I wasnt able to activate and deactivate the alarm being my remote doesnt work....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to charge battery without removing?