996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Weird Engine Sound, Someone Please Chime In Who Knows...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Slow4s has a spectacular aura aboutSlow4s has a spectacular aura about
Weird Engine Sound, Someone Please Chime In Who Knows...

Anyways, the sound isn't really "weird", when I am between 3000-4000 rpms in any gear, the tone of the exhaust gets a tad louder, just barely, only a sensitive person would notice it.

So if I am slowly accelerating away in first gear, when the rpms probably hit 3500 rpms, I hear a little louder exhaust note, like giving more throttle to make the car louder, but my foot is always steady on the thorttle.

So hopefully someone will know what I am saying, and sorry if I kind of repeated myself ^.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
the intake resonance flap opens at 3500 RPMs. that causes a perceptible power surge that i feel in my car. i don't hear a change in exhaust note though. but maybe i've been to too many rock concerts.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 PM
demosan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slow4s
Anyways, the sound isn't really "weird", when I am between 3000-4000 rpms in any gear, the tone of the exhaust gets a tad louder, just barely, only a sensitive person would notice it.

So if I am slowly accelerating away in first gear, when the rpms probably hit 3500 rpms, I hear a little louder exhaust note, like giving more throttle to make the car louder, but my foot is always steady on the thorttle.

So hopefully someone will know what I am saying, and sorry if I kind of repeated myself ^.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex,

You don't mention what year car you own, but in the 02+ years the vario-cam + kicks in at around 3500 RPM and you get a surge in power that is noticable and a corresponding change in engine/exaust noise. Sounds normal to me!!!

demosan

Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Slow4s has a spectacular aura aboutSlow4s has a spectacular aura about
My car is a 02 C4s, but I totally forgot to say that I am running bypass pipes (no mufflers).

So, I guess that is the reason why I hear the exhaust get louder right around 3000-4000 rpm? It seems like I never noticed that difference in tone with the factory exhaust.

Wow, I love this forum and the kind people helping me out here, Thank You Very Much!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
yep thats the vario cam for sure!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
slow4, agreed, this is a great forum. good info, good people. my C4S sounds ok to me stock. That's after many years of running the ol'SC with a Bursch exhaust. Can't beat the note put out by that air cooled 3.0 at 4500rpm. cheers, jl