996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Off to Nurburgring next Monday - any tips for a 1st timer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dervish
Yup, did 18 laps over 3 days 4 weeks ago. Amazing time...
Bad weekend for crashes though, 1 GT3 dropped coolant causing a 5 car pile up, very bad, from what I hear the bill was aprox $250k! No joke or BS. Also, and more sadly, a biker died, local girl who knew the track too! The Ring has a reputation and deserves respect...
That is why my first day will be on a Monday. The weekends are for the experienced. This next Monday will be one of the very best for North Americans to gain some experience on NR. Tomorrow I am testing the car with some real "drivers" in the local Stuttgart area. I'm a little (lot) concerned.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 AM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
That is why my first day will be on a Monday. The weekends are for the experienced. This next Monday will be one of the very best for North Americans to gain some experience on NR. Tomorrow I am testing the car with some real "drivers" in the local Stuttgart area. I'm a little (lot) concerned.
You are so lucky........................

Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Just make sure you have plenty of brake pad and flush that fluid

Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Nurburgring is AWESOME - a thrill that does not compare to anything I've ever done for pleasure. My instructor drove the first two laps showing me the track first and then how it can be driven - once you have the track memorized you can charge into blind corners, down 200 degree banked corners and launch out of them into that short rise that you see so many cars getting air time. All the while glancing at your mirrors for motorcycles, lambos, Lotus 7s, Porsches of every sort, buses, and then looking for the flashing one or two, strategically placed, yellow lights warning you of a crash, oil spill, what have you. The track was closed twice during the day with the second time closing the track for the day.

I'm still high from the day and will sleep well tonight!

The ring officials caught us with the hand held video cam - I guess only solid mounts are allowed.

Last edited by Steve Germany; 10-13-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Man I am Jealous!!!!!

Let me know what the best set up seemed to be for the JIC's.

Mine are finally being installed tomorrow!

Were you running the AH exhaust?

Last edited by Brando; 10-13-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
how did your car do?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Brando,

I was running 7 and 7 on the JICs and I think that I would go one more step in the front for the "Ring" and back off 2 steps for the Autobahn. I never changed the settings today at the track - heck there were too many other things to think about. We would hit the bump stop, front right, on the famous banked corner (large) exit (not a good place to bottom out) but don't let my settings drive yours - I have unlimted autobahns to deal with as well. I'm finding these 7X7 settings very usable for the steet though, even on the DD commute.

The AH exhaust is off and on it's way to Kalifornia. The sound laws are just too strict to run these here in Germany.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
how did your car do?
Better than I did! I worried about the brakes after a high speed (120ish) late braking stab but figured out it was just the ABS. Oil pressure, temps, and levels remained perfect. The JICs never went away but in after thought the car would studder in grip on some very agressive cornering/sliding. The engine/clutch were perfect. All in all the car ran very strong but is not a GT3 (nor am I a GT3 driver).

The Nissan GTR out there was an animal!

My car ran with the race preped WRXs and Mitsus but at the end of the day the driver at the ring make every bit of difference - so much knowledge of the track is required.

Last edited by Steve Germany; 10-13-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Update - my JIC Cross were set at 15 front / 7 rear - no wonder the car was not quite right! I dialed everything down to 1 today and what a sweet comfortable ride. My Porsche dealer, Flughafen Stuttgart set me straight and balanced the car. I wish I had had time to do this before my day at the ring!

BTW - while in for service the service manager lent me a Caymen S for free! I took the day off and ran some of the best Black Forrest roads. That Caymen is one of the best old school sports cars that I have ever driven. Add all wheeel drive and my C4S would be gone (before the JIC Cross set up).

Last edited by Steve Germany; 10-14-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Mine were installed today!

My hardcore track junkie installer keep wanting to set them full hard.

I finally went with 8F & 10R. They feel pretty stiff but I have a track day coming up and I'll start from there.

Do you have the Bose sub that you have to remove to adjust the rears?

I wish someone made some extensions like I had on my last cars Tokicos.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Steve, it's awsome isn't it!? That feeling when you see the final straight knowing you've done it. Going into the Karusell and getting spat back out the end... Flooring it in 5th down through the 'fox hole' and then hitting that big sweeper up to the left... And then there's the carpark, so much beautiful metal. Those locals though, they know that place like the back of their hand, did you see the Japanese tourists in the bus?, crazy...

Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Brando
Mine were installed today!

My hardcore track junkie installer keep wanting to set them full hard.

I finally went with 8F & 10R. They feel pretty stiff but I have a track day coming up and I'll start from there.

Do you have the Bose sub that you have to remove to adjust the rears?

I wish someone made some extensions like I had on my last cars Tokicos.
I have the subs and am holding it in place with the flip up "rear seats" which works well. They stay safely in place .

Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Dervish
Steve, it's awsome isn't it!? That feeling when you see the final straight knowing you've done it. Going into the Karusell and getting spat back out the end... Flooring it in 5th down through the 'fox hole' and then hitting that big sweeper up to the left... And then there's the carpark, so much beautiful metal. Those locals though, they know that place like the back of their hand, did you see the Japanese tourists in the bus?, crazy...
Dervish,

Yes the feeling is a mixture of pride, relief, and elation. You quickly flash back to a corner that you could of done better or think - if that motorcycle was not there I could of been in 4th gear! Wish that I had done three days in a row like you did. I still have a lap on my ticket because they closed the track down early and it is eating at me to be used!