996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Never rub any tires but it's all in the setup. I have rolled the front fenders slightly though for the track wheels, no need for the street wheels.

15mm spacer for both street and track

Track setup has an 8.5" front wheel and a 255 tire and 2.5 - 3.0 degrees of negative camber. The track setup would rub the fender if I had less camber in the car.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Hi all,

So here is my total costs on the upgrade:

Full 996 TT brakes with rotors, pads, calipers, and lines: $600
Front L/R Wheel Carriers and Hubs complete: $800
Master Cylinder from C4S: $323 (went with a new one, used is $250)
Front bearings (optional, but while they are off...): $62.84 each (x2)

So the total of all parts to do this upgrade is: $1,848.68

You can reduce costs by going used on the MC and trusting the bearings that come with the wheel carriers, but...

Project to start probably in January unless I get some time between now and the holidays. With the new house and all the tasks from the wife, I doubt it, but we'll see.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Keep us updated on progress.

Good call on the new bearings.

Andy

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
allomoto is infamous around these parts
Any news/update on this?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Hey there,

I'll be installing everything in April. Will update when complete... but I have all the parts sourced and ready. Just waiting to reclaim an oven as I'm going to be powder coating the calipers.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
I had a used set of TT calipers along with a new set of rotors/pads installed on my 99 C2. There was a small amount of modification required, but the overall cost to have my shop do the work was relatively small. The brakes work MUCH better than the stock setup--more modulation and much more braking power. I feel it has been a very good mod and the cost, all up including labor was under $5k.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
What exactly did it take to make this work? Where did most of your cost come into play? $5k sounds like a lot of money to get a set of used TT brakes installed. You're almost in Big Brembo territory at that point.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
It is a lot of money! So I went back and looked at the work. That included installation of GT3 sway bars front and rear and the necessary drop links. Still alot of money, though.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM
allomoto is infamous around these parts
Has anybody ever installed 6 pot calipers to the 996 c2?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Good call. You will have the same brakes as a 997 S. If ya track it, get the Pagid Yellows.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gsieck
I had a used set of TT calipers along with a new set of rotors/pads installed on my 99 C2. There was a small amount of modification required, but the overall cost to have my shop do the work was relatively small. The brakes work MUCH better than the stock setup--more modulation and much more braking power. I feel it has been a very good mod and the cost, all up including labor was under $5k.

Please elaborate what exactly a "small amount of modification required" entails.. Is it exactly what the OP mentioned it would be? ie: carriers,calipers,MC etc? or less??
do tell..

thanks.. I am also contimplating doing the upgrade as I am needing new rotors.. the price of new rotors and pads puts me above 2k so this sounds like a great option..

Old 03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm invested just over $1800 and that's with new bearings in the carriers and a new master cylinder... will be doing the work next month and will post a DIY on my blog.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I know Aaron,
I've been watching this for a while. There is a set of front 996 GT3 carriers over on the Bay for $995 (brand new) and was wondering if these are the same as yours or if they are only for GT3 brakes.. I dont think I can wait until April, I may beat you to it

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
GT3 are different. I didn't go that route since the calipers, rotors, etc are much more. But you do get the 6-pot calipers!

I'm not in any big rush, so you're welcome to do it first!

Cheers
Aaron

Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
cool, good to know.
I need new rotors and pads so after looking at OEM retail prices- I am really contimplating an upgrade.. I am like you- I'll do the labor myself.. so I am seeing whats out there and will make my decision in a few days. thanks for all the info already!
~T

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...