996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

US M030 or ROW M030?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
US M030 or ROW M030?

I have tried to read all I can on the topic of suspension and wanted to throw out my scenario and see what comes back. I have a 2000 C2 Tiptronic with 110 k miles. The car came with standard suspension but the PO replaced the springs with Eibach lowering springs from Champion Motorsport. The car was a little too low for the road hazards I deal with, suspension was fairly harsh, and I would get spring binding (clanking over bumps). That was how it was when I bought the car with 70k miles. I replaced the springs with US M030. Ride height is better for my roads but still seems a little harsh compared to new Cayman's I have driven as loaners. When I replaced the springs I noticed one of the rear shocks leaking. So I probably need new shock and struts anyway. I just wonder if new shocks will make any difference over sharp impact bumps. I assume that if the shock is gone then there is no compression damping and thus the only resistance to the impact is the spring. If I replace the shock there will be spring plus shock acting (do I have that right)? I would like better control on cornering but this is my daily driver and I very rarely track the car. So suspension compromise for the street is unacceptable. I have thought about PSS9s or even JIC (little pricey but more adjustment). However, the JIC set up uses pillow ball mounts which I assume will translate pothole impacts into the car. PSS9s are nice but I doubt I would ever need the adjustment. I probably wouldn't bother lowering the car much anyway (leave at highest setting which I assume is already somewhat lowered compared to standard). So that leaves me with 3 options from Porsche, standard, US M030, and ROW M030. Again, lowering is not a prime concern. I know I will get a lot of slaps for this but "comfort", then followed by cornering precision. I accept that even with standard suspension this car is way beyond my limits. Should I just go with stock suspension all around (maybe change the sways?). Or how about the ROW M030? Are there any old farts like me out there who realize that I am not really a race driver and this car can be the perfect compromise for all I need it to do? Anyone try the ROW M030 and think. "too much"?
Let me characterize harshness as loud bang's in the cabin over potholes. Sound proofing might improve that. Seems like the newer cars are quieter than my 9 year old car.
I appreciate all "positive" responses.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Chuck - I think I sent you a PM but I really enjoy my stock setup with the GT3 sway in the rear and H&R bar in the front. You are more than welcome to drive it next time you come to Dallas. I know himself has the same sways on but I believe PSS9's instead of stock. He should weigh in on how that suspension is vs the stock on the local roads.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Ride height is better for my roads but still seems a little harsh compared to new Cayman's I have driven as loaners.
My guess is that it is just PASM. Not to mention the typical technological improvements in the last 8-9 years.

When I replaced the springs I noticed one of the rear shocks leaking. So I probably need new shock and struts anyway.
Depending on what you have, you may still be under warranty. Aftermarket Bilsteins are guaranteed for life. Check here. OEM not covered.

So suspension compromise for the street is unacceptable. I have thought about PSS9s or even JIC (little pricey but more adjustment). However, the JIC set up uses pillow ball mounts which I assume will translate pothole impacts into the car. PSS9s are nice but I doubt I would ever need the adjustment. I probably wouldn't bother lowering the car much anyway (leave at highest setting which I assume is already somewhat lowered compared to standard).
Just about ANY sport suspension (or permformance) part will affect street driving comfort. That is the nature of "sport." Adding anything rigid (like the pillow ball mounts (camber plates)) will result in a harsher ride. Same goes for stiffer springs or dampers. However, you can increase steering precision without changing springs/dampers by using bigger sway bars and/or changing tires (smaller profile or better construction for less roll). Maybe that is your solution.

So that leaves me with 3 options from Porsche, standard, US M030, and ROW M030. Again, lowering is not a prime concern.
That's good, as none of M030s lower the car much. You'll get between 10 and 20 mm. That means about 1/2".

Should I just go with stock suspension all around (maybe change the sways?). Or how about the ROW M030? Are there any old farts like me out there who realize that I am not really a race driver and this car can be the perfect compromise for all I need it to do? Anyone try the ROW M030 and think. "too much"?
I've had stock, then ROW M030, now PSS9. I've also had stock sway bars, ROW sway bars, GT3 sway bars, and now GT3/HR bars. For me, none are too stiff. I drive daily with PSS9 set close to full stiff. But this is a subjective issue. So, you have to determine where you really want to compromise. If you want comfort, you can't really go sport. If you want sport, you give up comfort.

Where is your threshhold?

Let me characterize harshness as loud bang's in the cabin over potholes. Sound proofing might improve that. Seems like the newer cars are quieter than my 9 year old car.
911s are sports car, not luxury cars. Over the years, they have evolved to have more luxury appeal to suck in more buyers - but you will never have a granny-mobile quiet ride. That's why they make luxo-barge Cadillacs.

Lastly, read this if you haven't: http://www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html

Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Thanks MC and himself. I already read that article in the Panorama and that is what enticed me into the US M030 springs. I can't really assess where my threshold is until I make the plunge. I will comment that I wanted to replace the mufflers and was wooed into the Afterhours Automotive exhaust. A really nice piece that sounded great when you wanted it. But the drone was deafening in the cabin so off they came. So maybe that gives you a flavor of my desires versus needs. I want to say that I am sport but maybe I'm just fluff. However, I will say driving the new Cayman was a blast and I would readily accept the suspension in that car. But since mine is paid off it's impossible to justify another car payment. If either of you have gone to Motorsports Ranch in Cresson you know most of the roads I drive every day. Live in Granbury and commute to Fort Worth. With all of the gas well drilling the roads deteriorate very quickly.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 AM
desmo21 is on a distinguished road
Fister modifies the stock mufflers to PSE type for $160.00. Great sound. Great price. NO drone.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

We've sold a ton of the ROW M030 kits over the last few years, and I've only heard good feedback. It drops the car, firms up the suspension, but still maintains a quality factory ride. The car is dropped 10-20 mm over a stock height.

For US M030 or ROW M030 - The Euro will be lower, more firm, and cheaper. If it were my money, I'd go for the ROW M030, you won't be dissapointed.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
I had factory installed US 030, and it was really harsh.

I now have PSS9 with the US 030 sway bars still there and it's a much smoother ride. I have the front set on 6 (1 is firmest and 9 is softest) and the rear on 9. It's perfect. The car still handles just as well in the corners because the sways are the same, but it eats up the small road imperfections like a luxocruiser now.

And the ability to change ride height to exactly what you want is very nice too.

Last edited by PorschePRH; 04-01-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Mathemagician is on a distinguished road
ROW M030 arrives today and is to be installed next week. I'll be happy to give impressions.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
PorschePRH, do you adjust the ride height very much? If so do you get the car corner balance each time? Is just the compression or rebound damping adjustable or both? I use to race off-road motorcycles and was constantly fiddling with spring rates, sag, ride height, fluid viscosity for each track.

Mathmagician, do your tastes tend toward "sport" at all cost or only in moderation?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
racesx is on a distinguished road
I will be selling my US M030 soon as I just picked up some PSS9's (want to track the car more). I love my US M030 set up for daily driving as it rides well on all surfaces/conditions and no scraping issues, etc. from car being too low. It still handles like a "Porsche" though when the mood arises. I didn't care for the "look" so much as some of the lowered cars out there, but you can't have everything, right?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
PorschePRH, do you adjust the ride height very much? If so do you get the car corner balance each time? Is just the compression or rebound damping adjustable or both? I use to race off-road motorcycles and was constantly fiddling with spring rates, sag, ride height, fluid viscosity for each track.

Mathmagician, do your tastes tend toward "sport" at all cost or only in moderation?
If you are not concerned with tracking the car, after the first corner balance, you should stay inside Porsches recommended corner weights, even when raising or lowering the car a little. [at one time porsche said around 45lbs, but I don't know what it is now] Also, raising the car less than .5" should not even require a new alignment.

Most people with PSS9 set the ride height and then forget it. Although not a concern for you, if you lower a car with PSS9 too far, the pistons will ride the internal bump stops sooner than you would like - which results in a very harsh ride. PSS9 are 1 way adjustable only (bump/rebound together). Adjusting handling through the sway bar is first, then fine tune through suspension settings. This means you will seldom change the PSS9 Xsettings more than 3 or 4 clicks, unless you are going from the track to street.

-td

Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all

It's about an 1" lower.

I just did an alignment without a corner balance. I carefully matched the spring heights all the way around. My car is more show than go, so I don't plan to corner balance it. It drives great as it is.

Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Ubermensch is on a distinguished road
From what you've described, most of your problem seems to be due to worn shock absorbers. I'd replace the shocks you have with M030 setup. You already have the springs, and you have blown shocks. With this change you'll have a complete, matched setup that is only about 20 stiffer than stock. It should be plenty soft enough for you and will certainly absorb shocks (once you have function shock absorbers).

Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Mathemagician is on a distinguished road

It's a daily driver and I expect the ride to be a bit stiffer than stock but not much, based on feedback from others. Mostly, I don't like that floaty feeling at, ahem, highway speeds and I'm willing to sacrifice a small bit (but not a lot) of comfort to eliminate it. If I can live with RoW on our crappy roads, I'm sure you'll be fine. Ask me in two weeks if I can!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Suncoast, I sent out an e-mail from your website about getting a quote for the ROW with all of the other pieces to make it a fully assembled unit that just needs to be bolted in. Haven't heard anything. Can you provide this? 2000 C2 Tiptronic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: US M030 or ROW M030?