6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   ECU TUNING:- GIAC or EVOMSit? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/171819-ecu-tuning-giac-evomsit.html)

997FL 05-12-2009 08:15 PM

My vote is for the EVOMSit as well. You can't find a better software solution.

Zookie 05-12-2009 09:02 PM

i have had GIAC in my VW 1.8T was very happy with it, but their softare is more like "one for every car"... EVOMSit seems "one software for one car", if you know what i mean...

Katmanz 05-12-2009 09:46 PM

Let me know what you end up getting and where? Would this void warranty?

WilliamP997 05-13-2009 09:39 AM

I would not trust some company on ebay. You get what u pay for. Why risk a $10k engine to some hack on ebay. I have looked at giac and evomsit and they both have great customer feedback and results. I am leaning towards evo because their ability to tune the program for my components and driving style. They can tune the throttle delay out which is nice

johnnytaboo 05-13-2009 01:11 PM

I was wondering about the throttle delay (not that it's an issue that can be dealt with though a "tune" on my car since it has a cable throttle). If they "eliminate the throttle delay" on a drive by wire car, wouldn't that mean that they just have the butterfly in the throttle body open wider with less pedal application? IF that is so, wouldn't it then create a less than enjoyable experience at WOT, or atleast have you achieve WOT before your foot reaches the floor?

If I'm wrong please correct me, since I'm mainly hear to learn. I just don't like the idea that a tune could yield little other than the "illusion" of increased speed.

I ask this now because I have to assume that the next car I buy (unless it's a 1960's GT500) is probably going to have the drive-by-wire system and I'm curious about any potential "placebo effects"

.... and also, I must admit, I am second guessing the "inmotion" tune idea. Not because I necessarily believe you always get what you pay for, but rather, because there is no data supporting any of the claims I find..... not one damned dyno run.... tisk tisk

erubin 05-13-2009 01:24 PM

Just to throw another choice into the mix. What do people think about the Softronic software?

Zookie 05-13-2009 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnnytaboo (Post 2383937)
... and also, I must admit, I am second guessing the "inmotion" tune idea. Not because I necessarily believe you always get what you pay for, but rather, because there is no data supporting any of the claims I find..... not one damned dyno run.... tisk tisk

tons of DYNO runs here http://www.evomsit.com/Porsche_MAIN.htm

wlee69 05-14-2009 02:08 PM

ERubin - I have the softronic software and its great! Its more popular in the TT and Cayman world for whatever reason. I have it for my 996 and wanted it more because you can do the flash yourself with a laptop and you can reserve it back to stock yourself. Haven't looked at the others in awhile, but not sure you can do that with the others.

do a search in the Cayman or TT boards, the guy who designs the software, Scott SLauson, is on those boards frequentl

Andrew@GIAC 05-14-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie (Post 2380797)
Im thinking of getting it done. Which one should i go with?

Thank you for considering our products, there are definitely a lot of great ways to upgrade your car in this market and we always strive to be the market leader for ECU calibrations. We are one of the most experienced ECU calibrators in the marketplace and have a long track record of success on and off the race track. Our programs are powerful, reliable and quite flexible.
As some of you may know, most Porsches come more than one RON dependant ignition map from the factory. The ECU will change between these maps as a form of knock control. The maps are calibrated to take into account varying conditions and levels of premium fuel quality around the world. In fact, one could say that there has been some switching in most OEM programs for many years now; we have seen this since 1985. 3.4L powered Porsches use 2 timing maps, whereas, 3.6L versions have 4. There is a channel in the PIWIS to log which map the car is currently in.
GIAC has utilized this form of automatic “switching” since 1996 but we prefer to call it RON dependent map switching, or knock control. To our knowledge, all Porsche tuners do this as well, unless they intentionally turn the function off. We have taken the concept of multiple map switching a step further in many of the platforms that we offer calibrations for. With our full program switching abilities, we have multiple ignition maps for the stock performance setting as well as multiple tables for each of the other two calibrations, race and pump. Each mode also has an octane specific Air/Fuel ratio request. The benefits of this flexibility are that we have maps closely grouped around the target octane level. If a customer is running the race gas program on race gas but still gets some knock activity because of other conditions, like high ambient temp, the DME will kick down to one of the lower race gas maps rather than the 93 octane map in the example given earlier. The result is a much consistent and stable file. Conversely, all files will still have the ability to go up in power when more octane is added. Having 12 (or 6 for 3.4L powered vehicles) ignition maps also allows us to take advantage of much higher octane levels when customers want full competition files added to their switching options.

Andrew@GIAC 05-14-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie (Post 2383126)
i have had GIAC in my VW 1.8T was very happy with it, but their softare is more like "one for every car"... EVOMSit seems "one software for one car", if you know what i mean...

We have a very wide variety of products for the naturally aspirated Porsches. We have created more than a few custom calibrations for various models of naturally aspirated Porsches. This includes many custom tunes for the Grand-Am race cars that we have supported over the years. Additionally, we do have off the shelf software options for those who wish to run an assortment of bolt on parts, from intakes up to superchargers, even engine swaps. The week after next, we have a customer coming for a custom pump and race tune for his VF supercharged 997 Carrera.

C70Pete 05-14-2009 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC (Post 2385701)
We have a very wide variety of products for the naturally aspirated Porsches. We have created more than a few custom calibrations for various models of naturally aspirated Porsches. This includes many custom tunes for the Grand-Am race cars that we have supported over the years. Additionally, we do have off the shelf software options for those who wish to run an assortment of bolt on parts, from intakes up to superchargers, even engine swaps. The week after next, we have a customer coming for a custom pump and race tune for his VF supercharged 997 Carrera.

I have a GIAC for my 99 3.4 and love it... worth every penny... I'm thinking of going with 200 cell hi-flow cats.... will the program adjust to take advantage of this mod? I'm running with PSE for that model year...

for the other fellow with a 99 in this post... get the GIAC flash... originally my mechanic didn't believe a simple flash could do anything but when he drove the car he was really impressed at what a difference it made... made a believer out of him... and I can tell you on the track my car is noticeably quicker on the long long strait aways that other similar cars... even stock 3.6 cars... !! I proved it to another shop who uses Upsolute for their cars and they couldn't believe it either... its a tried and proven program....

incase anybody is wondering *I don't work for GIAC* and I've had the program on the car for 5 years now...

YoopsRacing 05-15-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks for posting a response Austin@GIAC. I for one appreciate the facts from the source
I am also interested in this sw upgrade and with my mods I would like to understand the differences between the GIAC and the EVOMSit. I see other sponsor's here recommend the EVOMSit.....

What is the difference between these 2 programs?

Zookie 06-02-2009 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rennsport-1 (Post 2383047)
My vote is for the EVOMSit as well. You can't find a better software solution.

Had my ECU EVOMSit'd Thanks to the team at Rennsport-1, great guys to deal with. I did a Base Line before i sent it in, goona Dyno again and see the Gains...

C70Pete 06-02-2009 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zookie (Post 2383126)

is that so eh? are you sure the EVOMSit isn't really GIAC... GIAC was out long long before EVOMS... in fact.. EVOMS was distributing the GIAC software for quite some time before they.... uh-huh... "went on their own.... " hilarious

I'm curious to see your dyno ...

YoopsRacing 06-02-2009 09:59 AM

I was reading the Turbo side and lots of folks rave about EPLabs Flash. Looking at their site the basic 996 flash will offer +12hp gain and +10TQ gain and best news all for $699
I likey the pricey ... anyone have this that can comment?