996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Grrr. Snapped an aftermarket drop link. Is this abnormal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Grrr. Snapped an aftermarket drop link. Is this abnormal?

I believe it's an agency power piece. It's a few years old. I took the car in to get it tech'd for a DE and got the old "hey come here a minute, we want to show you something". That's never a good thing...

The front driver's side link body just snapped in half and was dangling from the GT3 sway bar. Not cool.

They are probably 3 years old so I didn't bother trying to pursue anything with agency power.

They are overnighting a set of TRG's so that they can get them installed this morning. $300 plus labor. This makes me unhappy.

Is it typical for these to break or should it be a permanent part? They looked pretty sturdy.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
should be a lot easier to break/bend a stock one...quit running over those gators dog...metal may have been fatigued...the trg ones should hold up just fine

Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I believe it's an agency power piece. It's a few years old. I took the car in to get it tech'd for a DE and got the old "hey come here a minute, we want to show you something". That's never a good thing...

The front driver's side link body just snapped in half and was dangling from the GT3 sway bar. Not cool.

They are probably 3 years old so I didn't bother trying to pursue anything with agency power.

They are overnighting a set of TRG's so that they can get them installed this morning. $300 plus labor. This makes me unhappy.

Is it typical for these to break or should it be a permanent part? They looked pretty sturdy.
AP links break more than any other brand. Actually, probably the only brand I've ever heard breaking.

If you do a search, you'll see that AP is not the route to go for our cars.

-td

Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by himself
AP links break more than any other brand. Actually, probably the only brand I've ever heard breaking.

If you do a search, you'll see that AP is not the route to go for our cars.

-td

I bought these links a few years back. Other than loosening up on a regular basis, the rears seem to hold up okay.

I'm shocked at how badly the front AP unit sheared apart. I'm just glad it didn't happen at the track.

I'm sitting at the shop now while they're putting the TRG fronts in. I can't believe how much bigger they are versus the AP units. Just eyeballing it, I'm guessing the TRG piece is double the diameter of the AP piece. I thought for sure they had ordered the wrong part when he took the TRG piece out of the box the damn link was so big. It's heavy but I don't think it'll break.

The AP rears look pretty sturdy though. I don't think I'll replace them as long as they're holding up.

I was contemplating sending my AP fronts back. Do you think they'll replace them?