996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Scraping noise after a track day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Scraping noise after a track day

Not sure what to make of this. I left the track and there was a scraping noise while the wheels were turning. Much like when you brake pads are wore out and you get that metal on metal noise.

I rode by a tech and she said it sounded like a wheel bearing.

However, after my 2 hour ride home the noise is gone and the car drives fine. Mind you that the pads are relatively brand new pagid yellows.

Any ideas? I know this is a tough one.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
have you ever taken a wheel off after a track day and removed the ton of rubber that is stuck in every crack/crevice in the fender liner...you could have had a massive chunk of tire that only rubbed when the wheel was turned and has since worn down or fallen off...checking the wheel bearing is easy and when they go they usually stay gone but if it was hot enough to boil out some grease it could be a sign of things to come

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-02-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
have you ever taken a wheel off after a track day and removed the ton of rubber that is stuck in every crack/crevice in the fender liner...you could have had a massive chunk of tire that only rubbed when the wheel was turned and has since worn down or fallen off...checking the wheel bearing is easy and when they go they usually stay gone but if it was hot enough to boil out some grease it could be a sign of things to come
Nah, I usually just let it fall over time. It will all come out eventually so why put that effort in?

What do you recommend? Should I have my shop take a looksy. Makes me a little nervous hearing a noise, and then not hearing it. I plan on going back for another DE in a few weeks if possible.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Could have been a rock stuck in between the rotor and dust sheild that eventually worked its way out too.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
craig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud of
I've been to a couple of track days and just replaced my front rotors last week. One thing I did notice when I removed my pads was a large build up of brake dust along the edges. Like I could peel away the build up so maybe you had a similar build up that would touch the rotor when turning and it broke off thats why you don't hear it anymore. Just a thought.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
What do you recommend? Should I have my shop take a looksy. Makes me a little nervous hearing a noise, and then not hearing it. I plan on going back for another DE in a few weeks if possible.
either the shop or you can jack up that corner and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and see if there is any play in it...spin it and see if you hear any grinding...you can hear a lot better with your ear right at the wheel and no engine/road noise...if the wheel feels solid, spins freely and there is no noise I wouldn't worry about it until it shows up again if it does at all...the rock in the dust sheild is also feasible

Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
I've had the same thing, it's the heat/dust shield behind the rotar. After a track day at a hard on brakes track I noticed a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from drivers rear wheel. Jacked the car up, took the wheel off and rotated it whilst looking down through the gap, you could see that the shield had warped slightly and was touching the disc at one point. There was even visual evidence of the rubbing on the shield. I carefully bent the shield back and rubbing gone. I also noticed that the disc holes were quite full of dust and figured the added heat build up and no usual venting led to the shield warping...

Last edited by Dervish; 06-03-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Ahmet will become famous soon enough
I've had this happen on occasion also, both bent heat/splash shields, and little rocks. Rocks will generally work their way out without intervention, and obviously the shields are not a big deal either.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ahmet
I've had this happen on occasion also, both bent heat/splash shields, and little rocks. Rocks will generally work their way out without intervention, and obviously the shields are not a big deal either.
Interesting you mention the heat shields. I was driving the car last night and I was thinking the same thing. Not that I had bent them before, but it has this thin aluminum metal sound to it. The noise also gets more pronounced when I jerk the wheel back and forth. I'm going to run by a shop this morning. Hopefully they can give me a definitive answer.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Interesting you mention the heat shields. I was driving the car last night and I was thinking the same thing. Not that I had bent them before, but it has this thin aluminum metal sound to it. The noise also gets more pronounced when I jerk the wheel back and forth. I'm going to run by a shop this morning. Hopefully they can give me a definitive answer.
If it makes more noise moving the wheel, it is most likely the dust shield. If the noise is coming from the front, take your tires off and pry the shields back with your hand or a screwdriver.

Two things to keep in mind: (1) if you just pull them away from the rotor, they will heat up and end up on the rotor again. But, if you put a small crease in the offending part, it won't return. [elastic vs plastic deformation] (2) don't take them off, as they also protect the ABS sensors from excessive heat.

-td

Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Michael-Dallas is on a distinguished road
What flavor of brake pads were you using and did you encounter any brake fade? It shouldn't happen w/ slotted or drilled rotors, but you may also want to inspect your rotors (front and back face) for uneven deposition of pad material.

///Michael

Old 06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
+1 on the shields and rocks.... happened to me recently and eventually stopped.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I went by my shop today. Unfortunately I didn't have much more time than to do a couple drive by's with the tech. He seemed to think that the calipers may be dragging the pads for some reason.

I did notice today that the noise gets more pronounced when I turn to the left... Weird.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
What flavor of brake pads were you using and did you encounter any brake fade? It shouldn't happen w/ slotted or drilled rotors, but you may also want to inspect your rotors (front and back face) for uneven deposition of pad material.

///Michael
Pagid Yellows with factory drilled rotors. No brake fade at all this time out. The rotors look ok from what I can tell.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I went by my shop today. Unfortunately I didn't have much more time than to do a couple drive by's with the tech. He seemed to think that the calipers may be dragging the pads for some reason.

I did notice today that the noise gets more pronounced when I turn to the left... Weird.
I had this EXACT "problem" for years - including left/right input causing more scraping. Take off your tires and push the shields back. It only takes a few minutes each side, and it will put your mind at ease.

As for me, I simply bent them back after every track day. Ultimately I removed them and added ducting, but rest assured it IS the dust shields. Like you I was diagnosed with bad bearings and stuck pistons - but by people that would make money with those problems. I had to ask a track junky to get the real answer.

Take a little time and try it, if it doesn't work, please report back.

-td

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scraping noise after a track day