996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Completed the Fabspeed airbox mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Completed the Fabspeed airbox mod

Completed the Fabspeed airbox mod after a night of partying at 4:30 in the morning. Adrian, A fellow board member was kind enough to supply the parts, everything accept the big red hose, Which I doubt makes much of a difference anyway.
My question is, I removed both the plastic, and metal screens, This is ok right?
Everything seems to be running great, And I am amazed with the ammount of agressive sound coming from the engine now, I do notice a difference in throttle response too.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:35 AM
carcrazee is on a distinguished road
any noticeable gain in hp? or does it just sound loader?

Old 09-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
It seem's to pull a little harder in the higher RMP's
I really thought the whole thing was a crock, But I really like the difference it makes.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:01 PM
carcrazee is on a distinguished road
Jeru., do have an after market exhaust on your car?

I have the fabspeed maxflo on mine and have been considering adding the air box but afraid it might be too loud.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 PM
I have the Fabspeed too! I don't think it is too loud at all with this mod. A little more engine noise is all.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
i've got the new and improved ben,ljspeed airbox that i'll be selling in a couple weeks (can't use it with my supercharger). i've done what fabspeed did, but in addition i took the entire airbox muffler box out and put some holes in the bottom half of the box. it sounds so nice! fabspeed doesn't supply the bottom half anyway so it will be a bonus to anyone who wants to buy the top part.

"I have the fabspeed maxflo on mine and have been considering adding the air box but afraid it might be too loud."

don't think you're going to much hear the airbox much over any aftermarket exhaust. you can probably hear mine only owing to the holes in the bottom half, but probably not overwhelmingly so.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Aron is on a distinguished road
Jeru - Let me know if you have any problems.

When I installed the airbox muffler cap, I pulled the screens out of my airbox and the car would rarely start on the first try. I gave it a few weeks to settle it, but it never did. Although I initially felt like it breathed better on the top end, once I put them back it started OK and actually had improved low-end and feels like better overall throttle response. Almost like the ECU wasn't interpretting the MAF readings properly.