996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Where to mount in-dash DVD, CD, MP3 unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
DIMISA77 is on a distinguished road
Where to mount in-dash DVD, CD, MP3 unit?

OK, so after reading everyone's posts (thanks!) i decided to get the Pioneer NAV/DVD combo today. I am psyched, it's gonna look sweet, plus I love the nav system, it's so useful.

Anyway, my question is where to install the unit.

OPTIONS

1. swap locations with the CD holder and have the unit mounted down low, so it won't block A/C controls. (the LCD pops out, and lifts up). I think this may be too close to sixspeed shifter though.

2. install where the current factory CD is. this will look better because the LCD monitor won't be so low. However, the A/C controls will be blocked when LCD monitor is in "UP" position.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics when the install is complete. Thanks again.

PS: I still can't reply to anyone's posts. This stinks

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
topspn is on a distinguished road
DIMISA77,

Only thing I might suggest is to mount it in the normal head unit location, just under a/c unit. Reason is that even though it does block the a/c, the viewing angle is good, whereas if you mount it lower the angle is downward and I believe the screen would be blocked from opening enough to achieve optimum viewing angle. I may be wrong so check w/ an installer, but at least make sure you consider this issue. BTW, I'm really enjoying my AVICN-1.

Regards

Old 11-28-2004, 08:04 PM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
mount it in the original position where the A/C goes above it...
b/c u have to know that the a/c on top tilts outwards... so if you mount ur flipup unit on the top... it'll bent at a certain angle... and u won't be able to see properly...

also... for the pioneer unit... there is a bottom on the top of the screen... (2nd from the right)... when u press it...it'll flip down the screen for 3-4 sec... and goes back up automatically... really useful when trying to adjust temp control...