996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Removing engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:53 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
Fyi

A pretty rough 99 996 coupe with a shot engine and 76K miles sold for $8300 on ebay last month. It was a multi-owner so cal car. FYI.

I can appreciate wanting to keep it, but it could be something that continues to prove expensive.

My local shop scared me with the MFG's engine prices, something like 12-15K.... yikes. If/when I need an engine, I will get a rebuild or upgrade to 3.6, using a place like Vision or Strausse or UFO motorsports and get it out the door for less than 8.5K. Not that these are casual amounts for me.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 AM
msalamza is on a distinguished road
I tried to drain the oil out today. Only a few quarts came out, what happened to the rest? There is something seriously wrong with this car guys. I need to drop the engine and find out whats going on. So you don't suggest someone with little experience taking on a job like this? Is it really that hard? Even if I follow step by step instructions.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Gmax33 is on a distinguished road
It's true that tearing down this engine and getting it running again is a complex job, however with lots of patience and most importantly attention to detail, it can be done. With a Porshe manual and tips from others on this forum you can complete this project. You will have some difficulties, but that's when you can utilize others experience by posting questions. Myself and others will be glad to share our experience with you. Expect to spend around $2000 on parts and repairs to the heads. While you are in there it makes sense to change the IMS bearing, RMS, AOS, clutch and pressure plate, and of course head gaskets. You will also have an opportunity to check the condition of the valves, cams, lifters, timing chains and tensioners. It was my first attempt at tearing down an engine, and found it to be a rewarding experience. Go for it!
G

Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Gmaxx. I will dedicate everything to doing this job right. I found a couple of 996 car wrecks today. The junk yard said they had 2 engines. I asked how much for a cylinder head and an engine. They priced the cylinder head at $1400. And it comes with valves and some other parts that go with it. I still think $1400 is to high. They also priced the engine for me at $7000. And they said they want whatever is left of my engine, so is there anything I should keep from my engine before I give it to them? Do you think that these prices are fair guys? I'm going in on monday to find out the details of the engines so I need to know asap.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
If you buy from a junkyard the parts, or the whole engine should be thoroughly checked. What makes you think that the same engine from the same car doesn’t have the same problems? This is a do it right or don’t do it at all scenario.

As it was said before it takes a pretty decent number of tools to R&R a head on any M96. It will probably end up costing as much to buy tools and attempt this your self as it would to have the dealer do it and have a guarantee for the work being done. Not trying to be a pessimist, just reminding you that a Porsche no matter how old or new is expensive to buy, own and work on. Just because someone else said they did this on their own doesn’t mean you can or should. Different people have different knowledge bases and skills. If the most you’ve done is basic maintenance like changing oil, or plugs, this isn’t the same type of work.

When you buy an engine, it is just that, the engine minus all the accessories. Accessories being your pumps, alternator, various brackets, hoses, and lines etc. Those are the things you would swap over to the engine you bought before you return the core. You are allowed to keep everything aside from the main components, ie blocks, heads and anything within.

Last edited by 19000rpm; 02-06-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM
How can I check the engine before I buy it? Do junk yards always take your engine if you buy one from them? I was thinking of keeping my engine and keeping it for parts.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
msalamza -

Just sent an email with a lot of info on how to proceed. Don't give up, you don't need $2,000 worth of tools, you can make them, or buy a set for about $600, at least the ones you need for the head work. I fixed my intermix and now have 10,000+ miles on the fix.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey guys I thought I would give an update to my engine failure on my 2001 carrera. I was going to drop the engine so I started to drain the oil. The oil was thick and clumpy. I drained 2 litres and then it stopped. I do not have any contamination in my coolant tank. So the oil is not mixing with the coolant. Only coolant is mixing with the oil because there is a crack my cylinder. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
UPDATE***

Hey just wondering if someone can provide me some input. I suffered a cracked cylinder a few years back. I finally got the money to fix the car and I took it to my mechanic who said he would fix the car. He said he would be putting in new parts and basically rebuilding the engine. New chains, bearings, etc... How can I be sure he is going to put in new parts and not just put in used ones. And how can I be sure that I am getting a good rebuild and will not cause problems in the future. Do i ask for receipts? contracts? what should i get from him to make sure if anything goes wrong he has to fix it. I have never done a rebuild this big ($12000 including LN engineering's cyliders)

Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 PM
????

Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
To ensure he is putting in new parts get the part numbers from him and buy them from a different source, like Sonnen or Sunset or Pelican and then give him the parts.

To be sure you are getting a good rebuild find a reputable shop with references.

You can ask for a warranty.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the response. Un fortunately I asked hid I could buy my own parts and he said no. I think that's where he makes most of the money. Anyhow I will get warranty on the rebuild. I wish there was a way to know if he has rebuilt these cars or not.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
edic4s is on a distinguished road
Here is a link for a rebuilt 3.4l motor for $6250.sale-gszx6-2620771427@craigslist.org
Might be worth taking a look.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
edic4s is on a distinguished road
Sorry thought yours was a 99

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by msalamza
Thanks for the response. Un fortunately I asked hid I could buy my own parts and he said no. I think that's where he makes most of the money. Anyhow I will get warranty on the rebuild. I wish there was a way to know if he has rebuilt these cars or not.
Well just be up front with him and explain that you are about to give him a lot of money to rebuild your car and that is worth a lot to you. He should be able to provide some references that you can call or email. If the shop does not have these references, if I were in your situation I would find a different shop. No sense in paying someone else to figure out how to rebuild a complex engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing engine