996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I don't own a Porsche yet...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM
agz2010 is infamous around these parts
I don't own a Porsche yet...

I didn't know where to post this question as I'm new to this site...
Which 911 would you recommend to a new buyer?
Let me tell you a little about myself: I'm retired (in my very early 60's), have no car payments (own a 2004 GMC 2500 crew cab and a 1991 Toyota Camry), am a widower (3+ years), and have since my university days wanted a 911! Do you see where I'm going with this? I need a chick magnet car. I mean, the GMC is good for going to the rodeo, but like I've just read in another thread here, "you only live once!" I have disposable income for something about $65K. So, it will have to be used, no? I don't want to become a mechanic, either. I would appreciate your advice. I'm a grown-up, so let me have it.

P.S. Another user at this site was giving some good advice about other websites like rennlist.com. I'll be going there in a couple of days to join.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Good news for you *all* Porsches are chick magnets. You've got a healthy budget, so you also have options.

For me, I know I would focus on a later model 996 turbo. I like (excessive) performance, and this car will deliver it. The power train is also built on a platform that is more reliable than the non-turbo. Wide body, tons of power, reliable. What's not to love?

If excessive power is NOT your thing, then you may want to consider a NA 997. It will be newer, generally more reliable than the 996T and also available within your budget.

There are style differences - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and at the end of the day, all of these cars are beautiful. So you will have to decide on cab vs. coupe, round headlights (997) vs. fried egg headlights (996), wide body vs. narrow body, etc.

You will notice that I've avoided discussion of the older 911 models (993 etc). Not that they aren't excellent cars - I smiply feel a newer vehicle will generally be more reliable than a 13+ year old vehicle (and you said you didn't want to be a mechanic...also assuming your don't want to spend the bulkof your retirement visiting your mechanic)

Enjoy your search - I don't know if its half the fun, but it sure is fun!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
Congrats AGZ2010... the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. You have gotten the hard part out of the way by admitting your problem is that you do not currently own a 911!

I agree with Fozzy, a newer 997 turbo is the way I would be looking with a budget of 65kish, but my advice to you would be to go test drive a few different models. I ulitmately settled on a carrera 4s as it offers many of the Turbo's advantages (with the exception of the turbo). The added weight and AWD of the C4S were an easy compromise for me to make to get that widebody stance.

Anyway, get out there and test drive a couple of cars and let us know if you have any questions. Your budget should allow you some lattitude in your decision.

Last edited by dailydriver; 08-06-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Troy Jollimore is infamous around these parts
'Chick Magnet' is a relative term. You'll get a percentage of women that like the car for it's looks, a percentage that like how rich it's owner must be, a small percentage that appreciate how it drives... and the remaining percentage that will think you're an elitist *****...

I'd buy the car based on how it drives. Any of the water-cooled Porsches will fit the bill nicely. With your budget, you can get an older car and have money left over for the repair bills, or a newer car to give you more resale value. Don't count on newer being 'better', though. Porsche apparently didn't 'fix' the IMS/RMS issues until 2009. As Fozzy mentioned, the turbo doesn't have these issues to worry about...

I moved on my own to Toronto (big city for me) when I was 17. One day I was walking around with a HOT girl that was visiting the city from Denmark that a friend introduced me to the night before. We were bussing/walking, of course, and I was enviously staring at all the nice cars driving by. She asked me what I was thinking about, and I said I felt depressed that I couldn't be showing her around the city in a flashy car. She said, "Yeah, you could look at it that way. But we get to spend more time together walking, and besides, who am I with right now? You, or the guy with the nice car?"

Point.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Being older.....I tend to look at things differently.

I agree about the wow factor with a turbo, but turbo's mainly impress male drivers. Women, for the most part, don't know and don't care!

A simple, normally aspirated 2wd Porsche is so fast, the extra on a turbo is wasted -- and you still have to pay the extra insurance and fuel bills of a turbo even if all you ever do is drive in traffic.

The sleeper of a deal is:

- buy a 2003 - 2004 996. Good years. The prices are low.

Just get a simple 2 wheel drive car. Stick or automatic - your choice. Often the automatics are cheaper and there's less concern that someone has run them over red line. I grew up driving stick shifts, so that's what I prefer--but this car is for you.

- chick magnet - get a convertible (cabrio)

After purchase, take it to an independent shop had have them do the preventative maintenance of installing an updated RMS (rear main seal) and an IMS bearing from LNE (an intermediate shaft bearing from LN Engineering). If you've bought a stick shift, just have them put in a new clutch at the same time. Then you've got nearly a bullet proof car and you saved $20,000 over your budget.

Saving $20k gives you an additional budget to take your newly attracted others on cruises to exotic locations.

During the purchase process, make sure the car has a stock suspension (it hasn't been lowered). This will give you the best balance of high performance and good ride. (The factory really does know what it's doing.)

Also, with a convertible, you don't need a loud muffler. The women that I have known most like to be in a nice car, smooth ride, on a pretty road, top down with nice music and conversation. "Performance mufflers" mainly make more noise. They add little to no power increase. I added the Porsche Sport Exhaust to my car. Push a switch and I get a deep growl. Push the switch again and the engine goes almost silent with no loss of power. I like being able to choose.

The choice of color will be up to you. Red & yellow attract cops and can make you look like you have age issues. Black is interesting but is just hot on bright days and takes a lot of upkeep. I prefer silver. It doesn't attract attention; blends in and is closest to the color of dirt. If it gets a little dusty - it's hard to tell, so I can wash it regularly, but not feel I have to wash it all the time just to make it presentable.

But if you want status at the Porsche gatherings, get a turbo.

Just get the right tool for the job.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
BUY ONE UNDER WARRANTY!!!!

this comming from some one who just bought a preowned 996 w/o warranty about 1.5 months ago who now wishes he did!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I'd go with a 996 if I were you....On the outside the differences are minimal (Some may argue with me on that, but to the untrained eye they are pretty much the same.) But hell, either way you've got a beautiful Porsche! Oh and get a cab to attract the ladies

Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
pjweb911 is infamous around these parts
AGZ ... Is this not the greatest place on the internet?!? Don't tell my employer as I work for one of the biggest places on the net ;-) It is tremendous to connect with lots of folks who have shared the same dream for a long time (some even longer). I finally sold my "mature" car for a 2003 996 Targa. The targa was important to me as I use the car daily and wanted to be able to easily jump in and out w/o doing the convertible thing. I leave the roof open in most places as I live in a relatively safe area where it is sunny nearly every day. Looking back on the past 2 months of ownership I have the following observations:

1) the manual transmission was right for me but definitely not for others. Being that I bought the car for me it works but my wife who I really WANT to like my car hates it. Was not her dream after all so I am still glad I went manual.
2) the 911 is a rough driving car so hanging on to your other ride(s) makes sense if you can afford to (obvious statement). I do not have the parking space for 3 cars so I am holding off on a second car until my son is a bit older. Then the accord comes back to our driveway. The pcar owns the garage alone.
3) the basic 996 2 wd is very fast and absolutely a blast to drive fast or slow.
4) the wide body does look really good but this is a personal taste thing. With the amount of cash you are talking about I would probably get a S.
5) I do not like awd cars as a rule given the need to replace all tires instead of 2 when a problem (or wear) occurs.
6) I spent a lot of time on warranties. The EasyCare warranty covers catostropic engine issues so I bought 3 years for around $3600.
7) I only spent $34K on my 2003 w/17K miles. You could get a newer or S version for the $$$ you have and still have money left over for choice add ons alike new pipes etc. The sound of the car (in or out) is amazing so you cannot help but want more of it w/o sounding like a tuner.

I love this car and this site ... even if you only drive the car and never mod it. Please post pictures once you make your choice. Fun to see other folks dream come true.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by agz2010
I didn't know where to post this question as I'm new to this site...
Which 911 would you recommend to a new buyer? ...
The 911 is not a chick magnet. Not even close. Of all the people that will check out your car, 90% will be guys. A little less if you have a convertible 911 or a boxster [say 88% guys]. If you want a chick magnet, get a Ferrari or a Lambo. Then the percentage evens out to about 50%. The truth is, most women don't really care about cars in general. If I had to spend an extra 65K on a car, I would probably plop it down on an slightly used M5 or E63 AMG.

That being said, if you want a great car that you can actually enjoy daily without having to worry about dings, dents, and maintenance, get a Porsche.

Which Porsche? Get the newest Porsche you can afford. With your budget, you should be looking at relatively new 997s. If you want a 996, go for a turbo or a GT3.

You could also get a Harley

-td

Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
THIS IS WHY I WON'T TEACH THE WIFE TO DRIVE STICK....

Originally Posted by himself
The 911 is not a chick magnet. Not even close. Of all the people that will check out your car, 90% will be guys. A little less if you have a convertible 911 or a boxster [say 88% guys]. If you want a chick magnet, get a Ferrari or a Lambo. Then the percentage evens out to about 50%. The truth is, most women don't really care about cars in general. If I had to spend an extra 65K on a car, I would probably plop it down on an slightly used M5 or E63 AMG.

That being said, if you want a great car that you can actually enjoy daily without having to worry about dings, dents, and maintenance, get a Porsche.

Which Porsche? Get the newest Porsche you can afford. With your budget, you should be looking at relatively new 997s. If you want a 996, go for a turbo or a GT3.

-td

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
The 911 is not a chick magnet. Not even close. Of all the people that will check out your car, 90% will be guys.

-td
Not sure I agree. You're right, 90% of the people who check out your car will be guys. Women casually notice the car, then check out the guy *in* the car - it's not the car, it's what it says about the driver. (In terms of what they think, I tend to agree with Troy's post)

Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
johnnyreb2010 is infamous around these parts
chick magnet

-td
well i own a 02 996 & a red 87 countach lambo (replica) & i can tell you from experience that the lambo replica will get 20 to 1 ratio more looks than the porsche, female strangers have even followed me home just to look at it & take pictures with it,not to mention gettin phone numbers, even at red lights they're taking pictures with their cell phones,grocery store they flock to it, never had that happen with porsche!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Gentlemen, Remember I'm OVER 60!!

The "chick magnet" remark was a little bit facetious!! In my younger years, I would have taken it more seriously whether true or false. However, I take your comments seriously as you all DO OWN sporty cars, and I DON'T. Your experience is valid and I take your comments to heart.

Do any of you have recommendations for "fan" magazines?

I've read all of the comments so far and find them informative, and some, humorous. Thank you all for responding to me!!! In one day, you've made me a more discriminating shopper. (Just think of what ONE WEEK will do!)

Last edited by agz2010; 08-06-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling/grammatical error
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) Buy the car based on your own sentiment about it rather than what you speculate women will think about you or the car.

2) 65K is enough to place you in a 997 . Whether it's an "s" or a base car will depend on whether or not you want a coupe or a cab , or a manual or PDK .
I would NOT buy a Tiptronic at these price levels.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
The "Chick Magnet" Remark was Tongue-in-Cheek

I am, after all, over 60. In reality, most "chicks" are looking for younger guys with money! And, I AM a REALIST! Your advice does not fall on deaf ears. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I don't own a Porsche yet...