996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cat bypass with muffler bypass installed. Loving it. [PICTURES]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
If the car is being used exclusively for sanctioned racing events on closed tracks, then I'm fine with the modifications. Racing is meant for folks to experiment to get the most out of themselves and their machines, within the rules of the sanctioning body. Fabspeed's site even states this setup is intended for the track only. IF that's the intended and actual use of this setup--then more power to you, Nine_Eleven, and good luck.

HOWEVER...if the car is meant to be operated at any time on public roads, DE events, or anywhere else (including one's driveway at their house) except sanctioned races...then the cat and muffler bypass setup is completely inappropriate. Dharn pretty much hits the nail on the head; the setup is illegal and socially irresponsible.

So, you might ask, why do I care as a Texas resident? Because, I believe, it will attract a negative reaction towards Porsches and those that drive them, from a majority of people. Negative attention is something that I think the P-car community generally does not want, and which I know I do not want.

With that being said...how 'bout that newest oil thread??

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Dharn55 - I agree with most of what you are saying....noise polution in a small neghborhood is a problem or can be...i have a neighbor with 2- 1967 mustangs and he is very loud...only takes it out on the weekends during "normal" hours...Noise does not bother when its someione elses car, i listen to it drive by and smile, then go on about my day...i am a car nut wgat can i say...as for breaking the law...i do not encourage that...though my driving record might say somethign else...i have a bit of a lead foot...

i suppose my quesion in all of this is if you are will to condem Nine_eleven's bypass then are you willing to admit what you did 30 years ago was wrong....same Air same ozone same oil some lawn.....

i do not know what his driving haddits are for this car, if it is a DD then i would argee with you on the bypass, if it is a sunday car only or track car only, then i dont care...

just so you know i have no problem with your original statement/opinion, i just get annoyed when people bring age into it. ...

any way i think we can all agree that there are ways to get power the are enviromentally good and bad...the choice is up to you..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Nine_Eleven

Thanks for the tech info and pics of the install....

I think i will call it a day on this thread...its turning into one of my Aunt's political conversations....

Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
even with the straight pipes, is it really THAT hard to keep it reasonably quiet by being very gentle on the throttle in residential?

also, as for flow characteristics.. losing low end is only true if you're increasing the exhaust diameter or running shorter runners on the headers. Running the same diameter exhaust and removing catalysts should never reduce power at any RPM. They are ONLY a restriction.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dharn55
What you have done is wrong for many reasons.

Oh **** here we go, gran pa talk...

First, by removing the catalytic converters you have basically eliminated the pollution control systems on your car.

All the vehicles are design to pollute the world. My car just does it faster with out the cats. Like smoking a cigarette with filter and cigarette with out a filter. It will do the same **** to you. It's both bad.

You live in the LA basin, one of the worst areas for smog in the nation. Take a look at the air, don’t you care? What if everyone did what you have done? LA would be unlivable.

Don't worry about where I live. You live in IlliNiOIS "CAN YOU HEAR MY EXHAUST FROM OUT THERE???? IF NOT THEN STFU!

Have some respect for others around you. I have a PSE and when I was installing it I started the car without the mufflers installed, it was stupidly loud. I love my PSE, but when I am driving later at night, or in residential areas, I turn it to quiet mode out of respect for others and their right to have some quiet in there homes.

I guessing you live in a 55 years old plus retirement homes where everyone sleeps at 7pm? Well I live with people next door to the right has a Harley, race Corvettes and to my left side of the neighbor has F430 and Gallardo with Fabspeed exhaust (yeah no cats).

So all in all what you have done is very self-centered and disrespectful to everyone else, and of marginal benefit in performance.

Self-centered and disrespectful HE SAYS!!! and yet HE wishes me to get pulled over and get a ticket... take it easy grand pa..very mature.

Do everyone a favor and put the cats back on so you are not spewing air pollution

DO ME a favor and tell all the people the owns a car, a factory, a plant, a finery, constructions, all the other polluting sons of ******s including you.

and get a reasonable set of mufflers so that you don’t impose on others so much. Personally I hope that you get pulled over and ticketed and fined for no mufflers and no cats/pollution controls. Maybe it will get you to think about and respect others more.

I live one block from Police Station and Army base. I wave at them every time I pass by. In fact I stop by most of the time and they check out my car. Hand shake and converse with them most of the time. I'll tell them grand pa says hi!

It is a small world, and we all have to live here together. A little thought and respect for others makes it a lot better place to live.

Go tell the US government that. The most corrupt in the world then I'll take off my cats if they listen to you.

Originally Posted by asialors996
Optical TDI-----That is a very stereotypical comment...I bought my 996 when i was 25 actually 3 months before, I have kept it quiet for the most part...AP Cans and headers and KN Intake...My father who at the time was 60 and is now 64 has wanted me to run straight pipes(he drives the car from time to time) Just like he had on his vetts(ALL OF THEM) Actually i know about 30 people over 60 that are all crazy car people and run straight pipes....So before you go accusing the younger generation of having no concideration you might want to complain to AARP first...

Very well said....

I would like to take this time to state that this thread is so far from where it started.....Nine_Eleven....Thanks for the info....If thats how you like it more power to you....to loud for my ears...but its your car!!!

Thank you very much man.

Originally Posted by Dharn55
asialors996

I agree with you that it is really not a matter of age. But I know that when I was in my twenties I ran straight pipes on my Harleys. Thirty years later I would never consider this. Over time most people develop more respect and consideration for others, but not always.

YOU'RE CAUGHT!!!! "I was in my twenties I ran straight pipes on my Harleys"

What you hated me for is what you personally did 30 years ago.

However your comment, almost encouragement, of "more power to you" is troublesome. Removing the cats is illegal and has an impact on others. If he decides to change his own oil and pour the old oil down a storm drain or into a lake is that OK with you too. What the heck, its his car and his oil, who cares who drinks the water. Maybe it OK to throw his trash out the window too, its his trash. What if it lands on your lawn?

WTF now we are talking about lawns and oil? you should have a talk show.

And noise pollution is a problem. Do you have kids? What if your neighbor decides to take the mufflers off his car or bike and run around the neighborhood at midnight waking you, your kids and everyone else up. I suppose you would not mind.

The fact is I don't have kids. My neighbor already decided and has done that thank you.

All I am really saying is that we all need to take into consideration the affect of what we do on other people. And we really should not be encouraging people to break the law, particularly is ways that so directly effect others.

You can tell the robbers, murders, thieves, corrupts, traffic law breakers, governments, YOU (especially), teenagers, and 6 BILLION NONE PERFECT HUMAN BEING...

You need to be a preacher! I WILL SAVE THE WORLD MY PEOPLE!!!! GET THE F*CK OUTAH HERE...

Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab

So, you might ask, why do I care as a Texas resident? Because, I believe, it will attract a negative reaction towards Porsches and those that drive them, from a majority of people. Negative attention is something that I think the P-car community generally does not want, and which I know I do not want.

Well this is LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA where you see GT3 RS and other Porsches Ferraris Lambos and all other loud cars. What do you want me to do drive a quiet sports car? Oh wait my car my business right?

i suppose my quesion in all of this is if you are will to condem Nine_eleven's bypass then are you willing to admit what you did 30 years ago was wrong....same Air same ozone same oil some lawn.....

He hates me I don't hate him. I don't hate haters and perfect people which he is.

any way i think we can all agree that there are ways to get power the are enviromentally good and bad...the choice is up to you.

Yes the best statement so far. Choice is up to me. Do you hear that Dharn55?

Nine_Eleven

Thanks for the tech info and pics of the install....

No problem anytime after 7pm so old people are asleep. We don't bother them.

Originally Posted by split
even with the straight pipes, is it really THAT hard to keep it reasonably quiet by being very gentle on the throttle in residential?

Who said that it's hard? It's not hard I do it all the time. That's why Dharn55 is over acting...

All and all it is my car it is my business. The main reason why I posted this it's because a lot of people are requesting to see or hear this kind of set up but they never came across one. So here it is me trying to be helpful and I get criticized. Dharn55 overreacted with disrespecting, considering others, illegality... He opened up a huge argument... I'm guessing it's the age a lot of old people gets stress... they even stress my interests.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN PRESS FAST FORWARD.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
wish i had that kind of time.......to have an answer for each comment....BTW you shouldn't take it personal. Not everybody will agree with you.

It is time to kill this thread!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
WOW! Looks like I hit a nerve (or two) there. Well I said let it rip, and let it rip he did. I think his response speaks for itself (if not very articulately) and lets me know what his position on my opinions is. As he said STFU. Still don't think I was being unreasonable, just trying to give a perspective on how one's actions effect others. And I don't remember making many personal attacks about age or anything else.

What else can I say. I think Nine_Eleven is going to do whatever he wants come hell or high water.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
To all involved in this thread...if you are unable to make an argument without belittling another member, then your argument isn't worth making. The topic is moving beyond civility, and simple criticisms and being countered with personal attacks and profanity.