996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The ultimate IMS UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
And, perhaps have a magazine cover it. Personally, I tend to believe that it should work, and might look into it myself.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 AM
Eric Auderset is an unknown quantity at this point
imsaro experience

Hi Guys !A post to explain my experience with the break of the ims. I bought a 996 mk1 cabrio used, a fantastic car that also had the assurance that the ims of origin had been changed by a double kit of Insaro .. the warranty seemed total .. well.
In short, the Insaro kit has failed with 40,000 kms .. although out of warranty period (I do not use the Porsche very often), you will agree that they are few kilometers, with the result you can imagine. Yes, the same that had to protect the engine has disintegrated destroying everything in its path.
The worst thing is that after the breakdown from Insaro they did not take the phone to my mechanic and when they finally did they asked for a series of pieces to find out what could have happened ... we sent them and ... from there on only answer and impossible to get an answer. Unfortunately many others affected if they have responded in the forums explaining what we fear ... Insanity is missing since their kits began to give problems and has no interest in finding out why their kits fail. The opinion of my mechanic is that no matter how well sold the components are of very low quality and are bound to break.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eric Auderset
Hi Guys !A post to explain my experience with the break of the ims. I bought a 996 mk1 cabrio used, a fantastic car that also had the assurance that the ims of origin had been changed by a double kit of Insaro .. the warranty seemed total .. well.
In short, the Insaro kit has failed with 40,000 kms .. although out of warranty period (I do not use the Porsche very often), you will agree that they are few kilometers, with the result you can imagine. Yes, the same that had to protect the engine has disintegrated destroying everything in its path.
The worst thing is that after the breakdown from Insaro they did not take the phone to my mechanic and when they finally did they asked for a series of pieces to find out what could have happened ... we sent them and ... from there on only answer and impossible to get an answer. Unfortunately many others affected if they have responded in the forums explaining what we fear ... Insanity is missing since their kits began to give problems and has no interest in finding out why their kits fail. The opinion of my mechanic is that no matter how well sold the components are of very low quality and are bound to break.

Sorry to hear about the car. Not trying to add insult to injury, but the only proven IMS retrofits in my book are from LN Engineering.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
My knees get wobbly just reading all of this.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:14 PM
mjannone is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto

Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Bigcrown is an unknown quantity at this point
OMG this company didn’t last

Old 03-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bigcrown
OMG this company didn’t last
Unfortunately, it's pretty well known that this companies design didn't hold up. Wonder how many car actually had this bearing installed?

Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM
exophthalmos will become famous soon enough
I had mine changed to EPS bearing by Vertex, recommended by my friend who is a certified Porsche mechanic that does side jobs in his spare times. Anyone has any experience with this company and their product?! TIA ,
John

Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Why not just a standard bearing the 911 turbos have always used without failure? I don't understand why Porsche does not just build the internals like on the Turbo 3.6L? Must be too simple. They wouldn't have to invent new parts, just use what has always worked. I won't buy any N/A 911. Only turbocharged 911's, which are heavily track tested, and have been proven to be bulletproof. Much more fun to drive as well!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
Why not just a standard bearing the 911 turbos have always used without failure? I don't understand why Porsche does not just build the internals like on the Turbo 3.6L? Must be too simple. They wouldn't have to invent new parts, just use what has always worked. I won't buy any N/A 911. Only turbocharged 911's, which are heavily track tested, and have been proven to be bulletproof. Much more fun to drive as well!

The Mezger engines are more robust and although they have a intermediate shaft, the shaft uses a plain bearing on both ends which is known to NOT fail like the ball IMS bearings. In my opinion, Porsche made many cost saving sacrifices on the M96/M97 engines found in the Carreras and Boxsters, but continued to use the more proven Mezger design on the 996 Turbo, GT2, and GT3.