996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

01 996 Over Voltage Problem -- Need Help

Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM
archie2k is on a distinguished road
01 996 Over Voltage Problem -- Need Help

I have a 01 996 with 59k Miles / 6 Speed

I was driving it today heading out of town, and was in town and noticed the battery light coming on .. In-town running between 40-45 miles an hour and my voltage needle jumping from 12-14 volts. I got on the highway and started to get to speed around 75mph and all of suuden ABS light comes on , radio, goes off , lights dim, sunroof control goes out, etc. Car is still running now voltage meter is at the top at 16. I turn the a/c off etc. thinking this will help. I get the car home .. Turn it off, let it rest . Turn it on in idle everything works fine, I rev the car up with the a/c heat off, and then voltage jumps to 16 and shuts everything off. Ok, So I try it again this time with the a/c on reve up the car it stays right about 14 volts. Now I haven't attempted to drive the car because I'm sure it will jump to 16 volts once you get the rpms up there for a long time. What do you think this could be? I live 2 1/2 hours from nearst dealer. Thanks,

Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Run a search on ignition switch problems ..... it covers most of the problems you are encountering.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
This sounds like an alternator issue. The voltage regulator should maintain the maximum voltage at around 13.7 to 14 volts. The fact that it is spiking to 16 would suggest that the regulator is not doing it's job and the car is shutting itself down to save itself. Put a meter across the battery terminals with the engine off, should read 12v, (if below 11.5v you battery is week) with the engine running, should read 13.7v. Since the system is 12v, with ac, heat, stereo etc on, the voltage should still read 13.7 the alternator will increase it current output (amps) to handle the increased load.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 AM
archie2k is on a distinguished road
Ok, now asmorning I went to the garage and the car is dead? Now what do I do? It has to be the regulator on the altenator..

1. I'm guessing one I have to find away to open the front to get to the battery? Pull out the battery and put it on a charger? then have it tested ?

2. Buy a new altenator?

Thanks,

Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
To open the hood, pull the fuse panel off in the footwell. There is a post there for the + side of the battery. It will be marked. Attach the positive lead from another battery or a charger via jumper cables. Attach the negative side to the latch in the door, shiny part that the door latches too. Plug the charger in and the car will have 12 v. Pull the front and rear hood switches and you will be in. Alternator replacement is a simple DYI. Replace the serpentine belt if it has not been done in a while.
Good luck

Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Being an 01, how old is the battery?

Unless it's fairly new, I'd start by getting the hood open and installing a new battery.

There is a remote release cable in the front passenger tirewell.

That might solve your entire problem.

Checking the output of the alternator is a pretty easy process.

Last edited by Brando; 11-23-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
16V seems high on a 996, after 2007 12.0 to 16.0 is normal operating range..... I would start with a known good battery before condemning the generator. If the battery is weak the generator may be trying to overcompensate for it.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
ALTERNATOR!! I had the exact same symptoms a few months ago. Better fix it immediately. The car is about to quit running. Don't drive it any more!