996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch Pedal Noise (only when car is hot)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
dwozniak is on a distinguished road
Clutch Pedal Noise (only when car is hot)

Hello all!

I recently bought a 2000 model year 911 (RWD). Completely in love with it, with the exception of one issue.... a noisy clutch pedal! I'm hoping you guys can give me your opinion on what is going on....

First some background:

It sounds like a creaking / clicking, almost like a rusty door in a haunted house. The sound happens when I press or depress the clutch pedal, and it only happens when the car has been driven for at least 15 minutes (i.e. whenever the car is hot). Even after I turn the car off, I can hear the sound. It is not coming from underneath the pedals... seems to be coming from the rear of the car. With the car off and door open, it is very loud. I can very slowly press the pedal in and out and hear the "clicks" as I go.

I complained to the place I bought the car from and they took it into their mechanic for free, who bled the clutch system and lubed up everything (at least that is what they told me). It didn't help at all.

That being said, the car drives fine (even with the sound)... the clutch action is great... no slipping gears, nothing... and when the car is cold, there is not a sound at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Dave

Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Video posted video of the sound...

All:

I thought this would help with the diagnosis.

Here is a video of me pressing in and out the clutch pedal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UnsT9nWAE

Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
Throwout bearing or the pressure plate. Did they remove the clutch cylinder and lube the end of the cylinder rod? To address the former, you will require a tranny removal. How many miles? ever had a clutch change?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
That is not the noise my car made when my throw out bearing went out. To me is sounds like the helper spring might have gone bad. Helper spring it attach to the top part of the pedal.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
45k miles

Car has only 45k miles on it... I'm not sure if there has ever been a cluch change done on the car... they said it had "75%" remaining on it (don't know how they can quantify it like that). The car feels great when driving... no slippage whatsoever (even with the sound).

I am going to call the dealer's mechanic later today and ask specifically what they did when they "lubed the whole system"...

Dave

Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Alan111 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem although mine makes a different sound!!

Check out my thread here -- http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...the-pedal.html

Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Talked to the mechanic

I spoke to the mechanic who worked on my car... this is the mechanic.

He said they pulled the slave cylinder lubed up where the slave cyliner presses onto the fork

He said it could be:
throwout bearing or the pivots in the bellhousing... but you have to pull the tranny for that, so he said to just live with it until I need a new clutch job.... ugh

tomorrow I am bringing it to my own mechanic for a second opinion.

Dave