996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2003 996 Headlights Can't be Restored and must be replaced??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
Dr. Headlight.... Used them and the difference on my headlights is fantastic. Not 100% but darn close and and also not a few thousand dollars

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by porschefan22
Thanks, my dad is on vacation and will be back next week, I'll show him the thread and ask him what he wants to do in general, he's fairly handy so he might give it a go.
buy the 3m kit and do it yourself and surprise him...it's very easy...I used it on my clk 500 and they look new...just tape around the headlights...no need to remove them !

Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
porschefan22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
buy the 3m kit and do it yourself and surprise him...it's very easy...I used it on my clk 500 and they look new...just tape around the headlights...no need to remove them !
It looks like I'm going to go with Dr. Headlight, haven't seen a bad review on them yet, and the big difference is the epoxy sealant they use that comes with a lifetime guarentee, I've heard the different kits don't last for more than a year before it goes back to how it was.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
You can seal them yourself with the 3M kit as well, the link I originally posted has their sealants if you back up a page... And it's so easy to pop the headlight out that I recommend that over taping around it incase you dig the edge of the pad in. It will go right through the tape, and possibly your paint. Much easier to snap the light out, then back in.... Plus this lets you get all over the headlight at angles that are tough to do on the car.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I used a company called Doctor Headlight to refinish mine. They did it at my house in about an hour. It was $90, and it has a lifetime warranty. They polish out the imperfections and then coat the lens with a UV protector. They don't look 100% brand new, but they look pretty damn good. I'm happy with their service.

How did you get it for $90? Did you have to negotiate at all? I was quoted $150

Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by iJeremy
You can seal them yourself with the 3M kit as well, the link I originally posted has their sealants if you back up a page... And it's so easy to pop the headlight out that I recommend that over taping around it incase you dig the edge of the pad in. It will go right through the tape, and possibly your paint. Much easier to snap the light out, then back in.... Plus this lets you get all over the headlight at angles that are tough to do on the car.

Interesting, I will show him both options and see, this forum is great, thanks guys!

Last edited by porschefan22; 09-27-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
It's really easy man.... it'll cost you nothing compare to $5000...

sand paper from 800-1200 grit
soap and water
buffer/polisher......

DONE!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That's what my local guy charges. No negotiating necessary. They are all independent, so it varies.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of
For a first go at it, try Novus #2 plastic polish. You literally rub it on and wipe it off with a soft cloth. Apply wax thereafter, and often, as you have actually removed the outer "skin" of the clear plastic that hazed over. This stuff is amazing.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
ERicginpa is on a distinguished road
+1 on doctor headlight, the results were amazing and garanteed

Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
drewthere is on a distinguished road
Guys... I just started mine last night with the 3M kit...

Take your time and you'll get amazing results. I took the actual light to my kitchen and got to work....

Notice a difference?

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
bella1 is on a distinguished road
Headlights

Agree with those who say it can be fixed DIY style. I removed mine from my 2003 Turbo and did the following:

1) Wet Sand with 2000 grit wet dry sand paper. It takes a lot of time and do not rush this. About 30 minutes per headlight.
2) Then used a polish made for headlights and a buffer (Griots)
3) I removed the headlight washer covers so I would not scratch them. Be very careful with those plastic tabs. If you break one, you have to buy the whole washer unit as the plastic covers are not sold separately from the washer unit.

After this I placed clear headlight film already cut for the headlights. Looks great!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
drewthere is on a distinguished road
It will look like this during the process but don't worry... Itll be clear again once you buff it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 PM
ewaleson is on a distinguished road
I think some places dont like to do this with our headlights due to the cost if they mess up. 4000+ is pretty hefty to make 150.00

Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Joecart is on a distinguished road
There is simple inexpensive headlight restoration kit available on amazon that works great. It a little unknown for now but man this kit is simply amazing. When we used it I was like daaaaam!! The light were like a new pair. I just couldn't believe it. It is called the EZ4U2 kit on Amazon. Check it out. In about an hour your light will be like new and the nice thing is you don't have to use any power tools. We are still happy with the results 8 months later.
http://tinyurl.com/obulxs8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 996 Headlights Can't be Restored and must be replaced??