996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

adding seat heaters and wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM
sportlineguy is on a distinguished road
adding seat heaters and wiring

How hard is it to add heated seats and wiring to a 996 that does not have it but has comfort seats? Is the wiring in place and just need to add a harness and switches, and heating pads to seat bottom and back?

Has anyone done this yet or just replaced the seats and added the necessary wiring?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I have comfort seats in my C4S that didn't come with the factory heat option.

I had a set of aftermarket seat heaters added. I didn't do the installation - I had an automotive upholstery shop do it. They had to take the seat apart, add the heating elements to the seat and the back and then re-assemble the seat. They installed the switches on the seat itself, not in the OEM locations. They work great and I'm very happy with the conversion. I was having my bolsters repaired at this shop at the same time, so they already had the seat apart. They charged me $250 per seat for the heaters.

I believe this is the product that was used:

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/index.html

Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Been there and done that. I used the Dennis Vogel DIY which is based on a Boxster so there are a few variations. If you want to proceed let me know. I have updated parts lists, etc. for doing it in a 996. I prefer the OEM look of doing it this way although the aftermarket heaters would be less expensive.

By the way the heated seats are a great addition, particularly with the colder weather coming.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Why couldn't you go aftermarket and just use the factory switches? The big issue with the factory switches is that they are momentary switched and you would need relays to turn the heaters on and off. Very doable with some skill.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
afletche has a spectacular aura aboutafletche has a spectacular aura about
thanks for posting that link for the after market seats. they look like a great deal! you can get them right now on sale at $90/seat with all the wiring, switches etc included.

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heated...at2/index.html

installation doesn't look very difficult, plus I'm sure an upholstery store won't charge too much. i think it's time to do this now that winter is approaching!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
They work great. I'm very happy with them.