996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trying to join the P-car team

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Gnehzekul is on a distinguished road
Trying to join the P-car team

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking here for years..

I am looking at a 99 black 6speed convertible with 38k miles on it. asking 19.5k. Is this a good deal? I have read that low mileage cars aren't that great. just wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

L

Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
tough to say... Along w/ most folks on here I suggest a PPI... then go from there. Price feels/sounds pretty decent.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
definitely getting a PPI, but what are the general thoughts on a car that was only driven like 3k a year?

also any recs for good indi shops in Los Angeles?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't overlook a car just because it had low mileage, but you need to make sure that the car is checked out by a professional Porsche mechanic. I bought my 2000 C2 a year and a half ago with 37k miles on it and it has been great. I had the IMS bearing upgrade performed soon after I bought the car, but in retrospect I probably could have waited. My car and 1999's have the dual-row bearing which is thought to be more resistant to IMS failures than single row bearings. The best bet is to make sure the PPI checks for metal bits in in the oil filter. If you buy the car, you should probably either install the IMS Guardian or have the LNE IMS upgrade done. Unfortunately, buying a used car is always a bit of a gamble, but you can minimize the risk with due diligence. See if you can find the maintenance records, and good luck!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by wyovino
I wouldn't overlook a car just because it had low mileage, but you need to make sure that the car is checked out by a professional Porsche mechanic. I bought my 2000 C2 a year and a half ago with 37k miles on it and it has been great. I had the IMS bearing upgrade performed soon after I bought the car, but in retrospect I probably could have waited. My car and 1999's have the dual-row bearing which is thought to be more resistant to IMS failures than single row bearings. The best bet is to make sure the PPI checks for metal bits in in the oil filter. If you buy the car, you should probably either install the IMS Guardian or have the LNE IMS upgrade done. Unfortunately, buying a used car is always a bit of a gamble, but you can minimize the risk with due diligence. See if you can find the maintenance records, and good luck!
def trying to get a good reference for PPI anyone know any? i called one guy he wanted 350 another wanted 175..

Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
It would also help to know how many owners.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
VIPR ETR is on a distinguished road
Price sounds good for the miles, get it checked out for sure!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
3 different owners (he thinks) didnt get the carfax from him yet. he said he only has record of one oil change and when i asked him about the 30k service he said he had the oil changed already....and i said its not just an oil change his reply was well they looked around too