996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 as a track car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
996 as a track car

Ok, assume i got a 996 C2 manual and wish to spend 10K for upgrades to make it lighter, faster and improve the ride.
The first i guess would be an exhaust and ECU upgrade which give some hp plus save few kilos from stock exhaust replacement. This is like 3.000$.
What about rest modifications?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Suspension upgrades would be my first for the track, followed by exhaust. Would this be a dedicated track car, or a street car that sees some track time? I ask because ECU upgrades make more sense on a dedicated track car than they do on a street car. If it's a track car, I'd get a proper racing seat and remove the rest of the interior to make the car lighter. I'd also consider some lighter wheels.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Well right know i am driving my C4s only at road but i do some hillclimbing and twisty road drive. I noticed that most things wanted is mid range torque and high rpm power output.
The basic 996 has the advantage of being quite lighter and faster. Along with some power increase, bucket replacing and moderate suspension improvement how would this perform?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
My order would be:
Strip it, then suspension, then intake & exhaust.
If there's some left lightweight flywheel & racing clutch.

Wouldn't do power mods at first, learning to track with less power and the upping it is more effective than the other way around. Too much power lets people get sloppy with the apexes because they know they can compensate with power.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
what about suspension? Which way? Is really kw3 enough for hard street driving? How this is compared to a GT3 stock suspension? Is understeer an issue to the c2? If yes, how this can be corrected, with sway bars? Suspension is the most complicated issue...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
KW V3, PSS10, H&R... whatever. They aren't far apart from each other, not noticeable on street driving Would go with an aftermarket on coilovers, since stock parts from the GT3 aren't under warranty on a C2 anyways and aftermarkets are usually cheaper since Porsche has high prices on GT car components. Sway bars the GT3 part is a good option.

If you are serious about tracking I would recommend Moton. However those are ridiculously expensive (5k+ for the parts) and not the easiest to install. For serious Tracking 996 C2 is the wrong choice anyways, a GT1 Block or aircooled would be better for that.

Edit:
Understeer is always an issue when driving a 911 at the limit. It's a result of the rear heavy weight distribution.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM
So lets see
-ECU + exhaust
-New coilover set
-Bucket seats
-Get rid of some luxuries, rear seats etc..
Would this result to more capable car than my 4s?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
If you plan to track this car, the top three areas to focus on, in order, are:

1. Safety (roll cage, proper race seats, harness, fire extinguisher, etc.)
2. Brakes/Suspension (no sense in going fast if you can't stop and/or corner)
3. Definitely lastly, add power

Cheers,
FLi

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
dezigns will become famous soon enoughdezigns will become famous soon enough
I used to run a 996 C2 in advanced DE run groups. My mod "logic" was as follows:

1.) Suspension: coilovers (JRZ RZ) and GT3 sway bars, heavier springs
2.) Roll bar, with Schroth harnesses
3.) Recaro seats
4.) Baffled X51 Oil Pan (important!)
5.) Cat bypass (not necessary, but fun)
6.) Brakes: Pagid Black or Yellow
7.) Tires: Hoosier R6

This setup worked extremely well for me, and I quickly advanced from novice run groups to advanced with the car and that setup.

Shameless plug, but I have all the suspension bits still from my old 996, the thread is still in Classifieds. PM if you'd like to hear more, I'm selling cheap to get the parts out of my garage.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
Absolutely on the baffled oil pan, look into the L&N deep sump or pneumatically charged oil system, can't recall the mfg name. I can lose oil pressure around a long and hard turn. Look into GT3 adjustable control arms for lots of camber.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
swk911 is on a distinguished road
My .02. I have had my C2 for a number of years and first and foremost, safety! Put in a roll bar and some seats and harnesses, this way you will be safe and stay planted. No sense spending all the money if you are slipping around on the inside. Learn the car with these mods, then continue. Next, I would consider some suspension work, dependnign on how much track time you want to spend in the car verses street driving. I installed JIC coilovers, GT3 sways and custom control arms. The car is dynamite for the track and stiff on the street altho, I still love the stiff ride. Once you have dialed in the car with tese mods, then you might want to look at adding power and braking. Stock brakes are pretty damn good, maybe change to pagid pads. As for adding power, if you are planning on flashing the ECU, you should do engine mods first or see if the compnay will honor a re-flash if you change exhaust, air intake etc., Realistically, you will not see that much gain on a stock engine if you spend the money on flahing the ECU. Save that money for brakes, tires, coaching, etc. GL.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Don't forget to spend some of the money on some track time (even before you start on the mods).

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
So a good upgrade package for street performance would be
-suspension mod
-buckets
-exhaust
-brakes
Would a wing or an aero kit worth the extra $?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikegr
Would a wing or an aero kit worth the extra $?
Depends on whether you want to look fast as well as go fast. Personally, I like both.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I would seriously consider some high-temp racing brake fluid when you upgrade the brake pads too...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 as a track car